Sam Harris's Intolerance

Sam Harris's Intolerance

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
09 Feb 14

Cape Town

Moves
10 Feb 14

The post that was quoted here has been removed
You are totally misunderstanding him, and partly also taking him out of context. Please find the speech where he said that and listen to the whole thing.
Even in the bit you quoted he is not advocating going to war, he is stating that you are already at war.
You are putting words in his mouth then objecting to them.

Cape Town

Moves
10 Feb 14

Sam Harris claims that if Muslims prefer to live in peace with you then they are not following their religion. He claims that their religion, Islam, advocates war with you. Can you show otherwise?

D

Moves
10 Feb 14
2 edits

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Feb 14

Muslims are not the only group this man is bigoted and intolerant of.

Women are also near the top of his list.

This man is just a shameful excuse for a human being.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Feb 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
Muslims are not the only group this man is bigoted and intolerant of.

Women are also near the top of his list.

This man is just a shameful excuse for a human being.
Forgive me for not believing you. The evidence presented so far has been rather weak. Until that trend reverses, I'm reserving judgment.

D

Moves
11 Feb 14
1 edit

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Feb 14
1 edit

Come to think of it - aren't we at war with Islam? Or did I read the history books wrong?

Maybe that's it. Maybe that's why Sam Harris is the only one of us deluded enough to think we are at war with Islam. Maybe he's just imagining things.

Maybe we don't follow a God that has a favorite race. Maybe we didn't kick thousands of people off their land to make way for the favored race. Maybe we weren't thinking about reclaiming the temple mount (much like Richard the Lionhearted) to prepare for Jesus to come back.

Maybe we didn't send disproportionate amounts of funding to one nation in the region while ignoring the others. Maybe we didn't help that nation gain nuclear capability as well as unmatched military strength.

Maybe we didn't just conquer two of their countries and violate their sovereignty, using a name of someone who had harmed us as justification, when in fact we had no strong desire to catch him. When in fact he had no connection to the other state whatsoever.

Maybe we didn't install puppet governments in the region that sparked insurgencies when other nations saw how weak they were.

Maybe we didn't wax eloquent about their abuses of women while abusing the prisoners at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo Bay.

Maybe we didn't demand that they join us in the 21st century while ignoring that our own religion and culture, in recent past, supported slavery and the subjugation of women.

If I lived in an Islamic state in the middle east, I know exactly how I'd answer the question of whether the West was at war with Islam.

Maybe we're the only side that doesn't know.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
11 Feb 14

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Come to think of it - aren't we at war with Islam? Or did I read the history books wrong?

Maybe that's it. Maybe that's why Sam Harris is the only one of us deluded enough to think we are at war with Islam. Maybe he's just imagining things.

Maybe we don't follow a God that has a favorite race. Maybe we didn't kick thousands of people off their land ...[text shortened]... stion of whether the West was at war with Islam.

Maybe we're the only side that doesn't know.
If we're at war with Islam, then It's kind of hard to explain why we're such good buddies with countries like Saudi Arabia.

D

Moves
11 Feb 14
1 edit

D

Moves
11 Feb 14
1 edit

D

Moves
11 Feb 14

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Feb 14

Originally posted by rwingett
If we're at war with Islam, then It's kind of hard to explain why we're such good buddies with countries like Saudi Arabia.
oil

Friendship's fleeting. We used to be Saddam's and bin Laden's friend, too.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
11 Feb 14

Originally posted by SwissGambit
oil

Friendship's fleeting. We used to be Saddam's and bin Laden's friend, too.
It seems, then, that our enmity is driven by baser considerations than Islam.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Feb 14

Originally posted by rwingett
It seems, then, that our enmity is driven by baser considerations than Islam.
There is more than one consideration, to be sure. But the religious one is undeniable.