Richard Dawkins among friends, Bill Maher:

Richard Dawkins among friends, Bill Maher:

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Aug 11

Originally posted by usmc7257
Whatever you say man "Thou shalt not lie" right?
Check your discaharge and see if your rank was spelled out.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Aug 11

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
I hope you will excuse my scepticism, but I have encountered the 'only insulting them for their own good' argument before. I'm sure you don't really believe, any more than Dasa does, that insulting somebody will lead to them developing some sort of sympathy with your point of view. I suspect rather that this is a post-hoc rationalisation whereby you ...[text shortened]... which you recognise as morally questionable even according to your own professed standards.
You may be right, it may not be a good tactic in this situation for I don't
seem to be getting any converts.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Aug 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
I think you can understand, but it threatens your belief system, so you reject it so strenuously that you pretend that nobody could possibly accept it.
If you really couldn't understand, you might seek to understand, but you don't. You refuse at every turn to listen to any possible explanation as to how it might have happened and insult the explainer or ...[text shortened]... ing ridiculous, but rather someone who is threatened by the possibility that it might be true.
I just don't see the need to try to understand something that is not
true, much the same way as you probably do.

u
semper fi

Moves
24 Aug 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
Check your discaharge and see if your rank was spelled out.
It is.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Aug 11

Originally posted by usmc7257
It is.
Maybe the Army clerical people are lazy or busier.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Aug 11
1 edit

Maybe the Army clerical people are lazy or busier.
Gee what a nice thing to say. So VERY christian. Mine was, it was spelled E3. In an elite crew I found out later.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
24 Aug 11

mine says...nothing. i would never sell my soul to the ruling authority of any nation and be exploited as a pawn of their diabolical schemes.

u
semper fi

Moves
24 Aug 11
1 edit

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
mine says...nothing. i would never sell my soul to the ruling authority of any nation and be exploited as a pawn of their diabolical schemes.
Good thing you don't live in a country where mandatory service is required. To each their own though.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
25 Aug 11

I suppose you would agree with Dawkins idea on morality
that there is no such think as good and evil, whatever happens
just happens, it is no ones fault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNiCb0zf_Eg&NR=1
i'm sorry, i didn't hear dawkins say anything in that video. can you find one where dawkins actaully talks about what his idea of morality is?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Aug 11

i'm sorry, i didn't hear dawkins say anything in that video. can you find one where dawkins actaully talks about what his idea of morality is?
Here then:

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
25 Aug 11

Here then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCL63d66frs
good, now watch the video to learn that his morality has nothing to do with what you claim about his morality.

"as social animals, we worked out that we wouldn't want to live in a society where it was acceptable to rape, murder or steal. we have a moral conscience and a mutual empathy and it is constantly evolving."

"some of us lag behind the advancing wave of moral standards, and some of us are ahead"

-dawkins

yup, i agree with those. i don't agree with everything he says about morality, but i do agree with the core of what he says.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Aug 11
2 edits

good, now watch the video to learn that his morality has nothing to do with what you claim about his morality.

"as social animals, we worked out that we wouldn't want to live in a society where it was acceptable to rape, murder or steal. we have a moral conscience and a mutual empathy and it is constantly evolving."

"some of us lag behind the adva gree with everything he says about morality, but i do agree with the core of what he says.
In the other video the speaker was talking about what Dawkins had
said in his books. However, even in this video, we see that morality
in his view only depends on society and the ideas of society change
from time to time. So something considered good in one society can
be declared bad in another. So there is no concept of an action being
absolutely morally good or evil. It all depends on the majority view of
society at the time.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
25 Aug 11
2 edits

In the other video the speaker was talking about what Dawkins had
said in his books. However, even in this video, we see that morality
in his view only depends on society and the ideas of society change
from time to time. So something considered good in one society can
be declared bad in another. So there is no concept of an action being
absolutely morally good or evil. It all depends on the majority view of
society at the time.
you shouldn't trust what people say about their rivals, especially if they're creationists.

dawkins did say social morals are evolving, ergo they are not absolute. but on the other hand, he also says that there is a genetic link to altruism and empathy which favors survivability in some species, in particular (but not limited to), social species.

the theory of evolution predicts that we should expect to find some standard of morality in all social species, and we do.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
25 Aug 11

mr deity on his moral system.

&feature=feedu

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Aug 11

you shouldn't trust what people say about their rivals, especially if they're creationists.

dawkins did say social morals are evolving, ergo they are not absolute. but on the other hand, he also says that there is a genetic link to altruism and empathy which favors survivability in some species, in particular (but not limited to), social species.

t ...[text shortened]... icts that we should expect to find some standard of morality in all social species, and we do.
I did not know evolution could predict anything. I thought it was all suppose
to have began by random chance and continues that way with an occasional
input from natural selection (adaptation) due to environment changes.