Religious dreams

Religious dreams

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
04 Mar 16

Was only a few days ago i wrote, in the general forum, that i believed dreams had no meaning and were simply the brain's way of getting rid of unwanted information. (The reason dreams are random and soon forgotten).
Lo and behold, last night i had what i can only describe as a religious dream. (Quite an achievement for an atheist insomniac!) I vividly remember an arm reaching down from the sky and holding my hand. I particularly remember that the hand felt real (solid) as though holding a hand in the waking world. I also recall a desire not to think anything bad while holding the hand. (Which i know sounds a bit odd).
I still stand by my belief that dreams are without true meaning, and suspect the dream was in some way influenced by discussions here in these forums. Even so, i woke this morning feeling decidedly befuddled.

Cape Town

Moves
04 Mar 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Was only a few days ago i wrote, in the general forum, that i believed dreams had no meaning and were simply the brain's way of getting rid of unwanted information.
Dreams are the way the brain processes, analyses and stores information, I guess that since some compression takes place you might call that getting rid of unwanted information, but I don't think that's an accurate description of the overall process.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
04 Mar 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
Dreams are the way the brain processes, analyses and stores information, I guess that since some compression takes place you might call that getting rid of unwanted information, but I don't think that's an accurate description of the overall process.
That's certainly an interesting theory, but by no means definitive.

'The problem with any theory about dreams is that we can't really prove or disprove any of them, and they aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.'

Charles Bryant

w

Moves
04 Mar 16
1 edit

I dream of people I've not seen in a long time. Next thing you know I meet them again.

Very freaky.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
04 Mar 16

Originally posted by whodey
I dream of people I've not seen in a long time. Next thing you know I meet them again.

Very freaky.
Coincidence!!!

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Mar 16

Was only a few days ago i wrote, in the general forum, that i believed dreams had no meaning and were simply the brain's way of getting rid of unwanted information. (The reason dreams are random and soon forgotten).
Lo and behold, last night i had what i can only describe as a religious dream. (Quite an achievement for an atheist insomniac!) I vivid ...[text shortened]... d by discussions here in these forums. Even so, i woke this morning feeling decidedly befuddled.
Well scripture teaches God sends dreams, that is not saying all dreams come from God
for a reason to carry a meaning too. I've had a few that I thought were powerful, and
heard one or two that I thought were very powerful as well.

The one that sticks out the most is by a girl I knew a long time ago. She was sharing in
her dream she and some others were standing in front of a church and the sky started
to part and they could see the Lord starting to return. Those with her pointed to Jesus
and others that were standing next to the church couldn't see Him because the building
was in the way.

She shared that with me about 30 years ago.

Cape Town

Moves
05 Mar 16

That's certainly an interesting theory, but by no means definitive.
It is definitive.

'The problem with any theory about dreams is that we can't really prove or disprove any of them, and they aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.'

Charles Bryant

He was wrong.

F

Moves
05 Mar 16

Originally posted by whodey

Very freaky.
Have you made a note of things that you've dreamed about which did NOT later become part of a memorable coincidence? I'd be interested to know how many of these there were ~ things, people, thoughts which had no reason to imprint themselves on your memory ~ compared to the number of coincidences that DID imprint themselves on your memory... and thus became the kind of anecdotal evidence you offered here.

Moves
05 Mar 16

Lo and behold, last night i had what i can only describe as a religious dream. (Quite an achievement for an atheist insomniac!) I vivid ...[text shortened]... d by discussions here in these forums. Even so, i woke this morning feeling decidedly befuddled.
Stay of the cheese in the evenings 😲

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
05 Mar 16
2 edits

Lo and behold, last night i had what i can only describe as a religious dream. (Quite an achievement for an atheist insomniac!) I vividly remember an arm reaching down from the sky and holding my hand. I particularly remember that the hand felt real (solid) as though holding a hand in the waking world. I also recall a desire not to think anything bad while holding the hand. (Which i know sounds a bit odd). [/b]

If you would subjectively find fellowship with God and commune with Him, you would find that there is no reason at all for hostility towards God.

It reminds me of the verse "Taste and see that the Lord is good." (Psalm 34:8).

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
05 Mar 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
It is definitive.

[b]'The problem with any theory about dreams is that we can't really prove or disprove any of them, and they aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.'

Charles Bryant

He was wrong.[/b]
Definitive perhaps to your own understanding.

'Dreams are successions of images, ideas, emotions, and sensations that occur usually involuntarily in the mind during certain stages of sleep. The content and purpose of dreams are not definitively understood, though they have been a topic of scientific speculation, as well as a subject of philosophical and religious interest, throughout recorded history.'

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
05 Mar 16
1 edit

Definitive perhaps to your own understanding.

'Dreams are successions of images, ideas, emotions, and sensations that occur usually involuntarily in the mind during certain stages of sleep. The content and purpose of dreams are not definitively understood, though they have been a topic of scientific speculation, as well as a subject of philosophical and religious interest, throughout recorded history.'
Dreams indicate the way in which we individually process information, and so have some value to a psychologist.

Freud thought that most dreams were manifestations of a sexual nature or indicative of our inner motivations about sex. But then again, he also thought women had 'penis envy'. Bwahahahaha!!

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
05 Mar 16

Seems pretty clear to me (the dreams general meaning).

Your honesty makes this a possibly engaging and revealing topic.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
05 Mar 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
Dreams indicate the way in which we individually process information, and so have some value to a psychologist.

Freud thought that most dreams were manifestations of a sexual nature or indicative of our inner motivations about sex. But then again, he also thought women had 'penis envy'. Bwahahahaha!!
That was, by all accounts, just a Freudian slip. He actually meant 'pen envy,' as men tend to get nice pens as presents which women can get quite envious about.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
05 Mar 16

Coincidence!!!
I've had so many coincidences in my life that they've turned into something else!