religious denominations

religious denominations

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
Well I am a theist now and not a Christian anymore. That is what I am asking you about. I do not say "there isn't a god". I was a Christian. Now I am not.
So when you were a Christian did you have a relationship with God through Jesus
Christ or were you just play acting?
Kelly

F

Moves
17 Mar 12

Originally posted by KellyJay
So when you were a Christian did you have a relationship with God through Jesus
Christ or were you just play acting?
I was, as I have said repeatedly, a Christian.

If someone was, say, a Muslim for 20-30 years and then converted to, say, Catholicism. Would you claim that they were never really a Muslim throughout those 20-30 years?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
I was, as I have said repeatedly, a Christian.

If someone was, say, a Muslim for 20-30 years and then converted to, say, Catholicism. Would you claim that they were never really a Muslim throughout those 20-30 years?
I get what you claimed you were, not denyiing that...my question to you wasn't
that you claimed you were a Christian, it was did you have a relationship with God
through Jesus Christ? Anyone can make the claim they were a Christian, Muslim,
and so on. Our claims not with standing do not make us what we claim to be in all
cases, we can claim to be baseball players but if we never really played baseball
our claims run against reality. If you want to define anyone who claims they were
a Christain as the only thing that makes them Christian than sure you can be
a Christain in your eyes, or someone claims they were a moonwalker. I define
Christian as people who have a right relationship with God through Jesus Christ, if
you had that than walked away from it I will acknowledge you were a Christian.
Kelly

F

Moves
17 Mar 12

I get what you claimed you were, not denyiing that...my question to you wasn't
that you claimed you were a Christian, it was did you have a relationship with God
through Jesus Christ? Anyone can make the claim they were a Christian, Muslim,
and so on. Our claims not with standing do not make us what we claim to be in all
cases, we can claim to be baseb ...[text shortened]... esus Christ, if
you had that than walked away from it I will acknowledge you were a Christian.
I was a Christian, Kelly. Take it from me. I really don't know what to make of your conjecture about false claims and deception and 'moonwalkers' and baseball players. I was a Christian. So, now, I am curious; how do you figure that someone who was a Christian, and then at a later point wasn't, was never a Christian? Are you not concerned about coming across as presumptuous?

F

Moves
17 Mar 12

Anyone can make the claim they were a Christian, Muslim, and so on.
You ignored this question for some reason: if someone was, say, a Muslim for 20-30 years and then converted to, say, Catholicism. Would you claim that they were never really a Muslim throughout those 20-30 years?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
17 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
You ignored this question for some reason: if someone was, say, a Muslim for 20-30 years and then converted to, say, Catholicism. Would you claim that they were never really a Muslim throughout those 20-30 years?
The question the Muslim of 20-30 years has to answer is did he have a personal relationship with the prophet Mohammed? 😀

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
17 Mar 12

Originally posted by Rajk999
The question the Muslim of 20-30 years has to answer is did he have a personal relationship with the prophet Mohammed? 😀
Surely by the same rationale anyone can claim to have a personal relationship with Jesus or the prophet Mohammed, but only the other party can confirm said relationship and neither of them are answering the phone just now, thus rendering the claim meaningless.

Moves
17 Mar 12

Originally posted by kevcvs57
Surely by the same rationale anyone can claim to have a personal relationship with Jesus or the prophet Mohammed, but only the other party can confirm said relationship and neither of them are answering the phone just now, thus rendering the claim meaningless.
That's right. Why would FMF's saying he had a personal relationship with Christ carry any more or less weight than his saying he was a Christian? We learn to use figures of speech. Some of us did not learn to testify to our faith in the ways that others learned. But there are no magically credible words. Are there?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
17 Mar 12

Originally posted by kevcvs57
Correct. Tell that to KellyJay.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
17 Mar 12

Originally posted by Rajk999
Correct. Tell that to KellyJay.
Yeah okay and I'll tell it to the wind while i'm at it.

F

Moves
18 Mar 12

Egypt's Coptic Christian Pope Shenouda III Dies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17416429

Egypt's Coptic Christian Pope Shenouda III has died at the age of 88, state television has announced.

The leader of the Middle East's largest Christian minority was reported to suffer from cancer that had spread to several organs.

Coptic Christians make up 10% of Egypt's population of 80 million.

After attacks on Coptic Christians in recent years, Pope Shenouda urged officials to do more to address the community's concerns.

Pope Shenouda led the church, one of the oldest Christian communities in the world, for four decades.

n

Moves
18 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
FMF , the line of 'reasoning' being used by Kelly is that if you had a real relationship with God / Jesus then you would 'still' be a christian.

Given that you no longer are - then the relationship you once had with God / Jesus was (obviously) not a 'true' one.

Standard fundy position.....

F

Moves
18 Mar 12

Originally posted by nook7
FMF , the line of 'reasoning' being used by Kelly is that if you had a real relationship with God / Jesus then you would 'still' be a christian.

Given that you no longer are - then the relationship you once had with God / Jesus was (obviously) not a 'true' one.

Standard fundy position.....
It's a position that is totally divorced from the reality of the human condition and the reality of living-breathing people's individual spiritual paths. All it is, is a giant, presumptuous, self-sanctified No True Scotsman logical fallacy.

n

Moves
18 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
It's a position that is totally divorced from the reality of the human condition and the reality of living-breathing people's individual spiritual paths. All it is, is a giant, presumptuous, self-sanctified No True Scotsman logical fallacy.
Exactly.

When ones head is buried in the sand it is hard to see.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Mar 12

Originally posted by JS357
That's right. Why would FMF's saying he had a personal relationship with Christ carry any more or less weight than his saying he was a Christian? We learn to use figures of speech. Some of us did not learn to testify to our faith in the ways that others learned. But there are no magically credible words. Are there?
He would only be lying if he said it anyway. 😏