Question for Atheists

Question for Atheists

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
20 Feb 07

Originally posted by dj2becker
That is correct if you reject the existence of absolute truth.
It is correct if I reject the existence of an absolute moral code against which all others are judged as 'true' or 'false'.
This is unrelated to the concept of absolute truth.

j

CA, USA

Moves
20 Feb 07

That is correct if you reject the existence of absolute truth.
For about 150 posts now you've maintained intellectual dishonesty.

You're trolling.

State YOUR moral code.
State what YOU claim to be absolutely true/moral

Moves
20 Feb 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
It is correct if I reject the existence of an absolute moral code against which all others are judged as 'true' or 'false'.
This is unrelated to the concept of absolute truth.
Well maybe you should define absolute truth before we continue.

What is absolute truth?

Moves
20 Feb 07

Originally posted by jammer
For about 150 posts now you've maintained intellectual dishonesty.

You're trolling.

State YOUR moral code.
State what YOU claim to be absolutely true/moral
I am afraid you are the one that is trolling.

I have done so a few time, but I will do it again:

Absolute truth is an objective reality that exists totally independent of what anyone thinks or feels about it. It is a reality that is true for all people, for all times, for all places. Truth is real and solid whether or not we choose to believe it, just as Mount Everest is real and solid whether or not we choose to climb it. Contrary to your postmodern views, I believe that we do not create truth, we discover it. Belief does not determine reality, reality exists apart from belief. Our belief in truth merely brings us into alignment with it and activates its power in our lives.

Would you care to point out the intellectual dishonesty that you are trolling about?

Cape Town

Moves
20 Feb 07

Well maybe you should define absolute truth before we continue.

What is absolute truth?
I thought we had done that already.
Absolute truth means that something is true for everyone regardless of their beliefs. I am fairly sure that you did state this as the definition before.

j

CA, USA

Moves
20 Feb 07

I am afraid you are the one that is trolling.

I have done so a few time, but I will do it again:

Absolute truth is an objective reality that exists totally independent of what anyone thinks or feels about it. It is a reality that is true for all people, for all times, for all places. Truth is real and solid whether or not we choose to believe it, ju ...[text shortened]... r lives.

Would you care to point out the intellectual dishonesty that you are trolling about?
You still dance around the issue .. what EXACTLY is it you're saying?

Some things are absolutely true? I agree, so what?

What is it you are claiming is absolutely true? That absolute truth exists? I agree, so what?

You're talking in abstracts .. an itellectual exercise.
Be concrete. What is it that is absolutely true .. TO YOU.

Beyond the concept that absolute truth exists, what does that mean? TO YOU.

Moves
20 Feb 07

I thought we had done that already.
Absolute truth means that something is true for everyone regardless of their beliefs. I am fairly sure that you did state this as the definition before.
Either:

1. There are no absolutes that define reality. Everything is relative, and thus there is no actual reality. There is ultimately no authority for deciding if an action is positive or negative; right or wrong.

Or:

2. There are absolute realities, or standards, that define what is real and what is not. Thus, actions can be deemed right or wrong based upon how they measure up against absolute standards.

Which one is it?

Cape Town

Moves
20 Feb 07

Either:

1. There are no absolutes that define reality. Everything is relative, and thus there is no actual reality. There is ultimately no authority for deciding if an action is positive or negative; right or wrong.

Or:

2. There are absolute realities, or standards, that define what is real and what is not. Thus, actions can be deemed right or wrong based upon how they measure up against absolute standards.

Which one is it?
It is:

3. There are absolute realities, or standards, that define what is real and what is not. There are no absolute standards for 'right' and 'wrong'.

Moves
20 Feb 07

It is:

3. There are absolute realities, or standards, that define what is real and what is not. There are no absolute standards for 'right' and 'wrong'.
If you wish to belive a self-contradiction you are welcome to do so. I am not going to continue wasting my time with you.

So long.

Cape Town

Moves
20 Feb 07

If you wish to belive a self-contradiction you are welcome to do so. I am not going to continue wasting my time with you.

So long.
It is not a self contradiction. Please explain how it is a self contradiction.

j

CA, USA

Moves
20 Feb 07

Either:

Or:

Which one is it?
1. First, give us your definition of "reality" in this context.

Some things are absolutely true. Some things are relative.
Reality is often simple perception. If you believe in God, then yes, He would be the ultamite authoirty. If you don't believe in God then you, yourself become the ultamite authority on what is right/wrong.

Or

2. There are no absolute standards or realities that ALL humans live by.
We have free will and thus determine, each for ourself, what's real and what standards we chose to live by.
Those that adhere to a paticular dogma or religious code or book are followers of someone elses reality and standards .. these have co-opted their own free will out of frustration and confusion.

We all want to know .. but we can't know

Moves
20 Feb 07

It is not a self contradiction. Please explain how it is a self contradiction.
If you believe in absolute truth, then an absolute standard is necessary by which you can differentiate beween between absolute truth and absolute falsehood.

Before I deel with all the incoherent dribble that you have posted, would you mind telling me what your absolute standard is by which you differentiate between absolute truth and absolute falsehood?

Just for starters...

j

CA, USA

Moves
20 Feb 07

So long.
That would probably be the most graceful exit for you.

You've been exposed anyway.

So long

j

CA, USA

Moves
20 Feb 07
1 edit

If you believe in absolute truth, then an absolute standard is necessary by which you can differentiate beween between absolute truth and absolute falsehood.

Before I deel with all the incoherent dribble that you have posted, would you mind telling me what your absolute standard is by which you differentiate between absolute truth and absolute falsehood?

Just for starters...
Welcome back

You first .. it's your thread and your question .. go ahead, enlighten us.

Moves
20 Feb 07

Originally posted by jammer
Welcome back

You first .. it's your thread and your question .. go ahead, enlighten us.
I will do so in due time. But before I give my answer I would like to hear twithead's answer, since he has claimed to believe in absolute truth.