Question for Atheists

Question for Atheists

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
18 Feb 07
1 edit

Within an Atheistic framework, would it be absolutely wrong at any time to murder another human being? If so, why?

I

Moves
18 Feb 07

Originally posted by dj2becker
Within an Atheistic framework, would it be [b]absolutely wrong at any time to murder another human being? If so, why?[/b]
Would you want someone to murder you? So why do it to someone else?

Moves
18 Feb 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Ian68
Would you want someone to murder you? So why do it to someone else?
Is it absolutely wrong to murder someone?

Hint: This is a yes/no question...

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
18 Feb 07

Is it [b]absolutely wrong to murder someone?[/b]
Murder is the crime of unlawfully killing someone. Laws are imperfect. Thus, murder is not always wrong.

Moves
18 Feb 07

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
Murder is the crime of unlawfully killing someone. Laws are imperfect. Thus, murder is not always wrong.
So is the unlawful premeditated killing of an innocent human being absolutely wrong?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
18 Feb 07
1 edit

So is the unlawful premeditated killing of an innocent human being [b]absolutely wrong?[/b]
Killing an innocent human person is always wrong. However, by adding the word 'innocent', you've taken the scenario out of the courtroom and on to philosophical grounds.

Moves
18 Feb 07
2 edits

Killing an innocent human being is always wrong. However, by adding the word 'innocent', you've taken the scenario out of the courtroom and on to philosophical grounds.
So you believe that absolute right and wrong exists?

Are you an atheist?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
18 Feb 07

So you believe that absolute right and wrong exists?

Are you an atheist?
Yes.

No. Agnostic.

p

Moves
18 Feb 07

Yes.

No. Agnostic.
No

no agnostic

Moves
18 Feb 07

Yes.

No. Agnostic.
The thread was aimed at atheists, but never mind...

So you believe that absolute right and wrong exists, fine. What absolute basis (or absolute point of reference) do you use to differentiate between right and wrong or (good and evil)?

Moves
18 Feb 07

Within an Atheistic framework, would it be [b]absolutely wrong at any time to murder another human being? If so, why?[/b]
I would say no, it isn't always absolutely wrong, I can imagine some extremely unlikely scenarios for when murder is justified. However, most of the time I would say that it is definitely wrong.

Moves
18 Feb 07

Originally posted by Bad wolf
I would say no, it isn't always absolutely wrong, I can imagine some extremely unlikely scenarios for when murder is justified. However, most of the time I would say that it is definitely wrong.
So is the unlawful premeditated killing of an innocent human being absolutely wrong?

Moves
18 Feb 07

Generally yes, but I guess there could be exceptions, so I don't think it is absolutely wrong. Laws can be wrong and unjustified and I doubt they could be justifiably applied to every possible scenario conceivable.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
18 Feb 07

The thread was aimed at atheists, but never mind...

So you believe that absolute right and wrong exists, fine. What absolute basis (or absolute point of reference) do you use to differentiate between right and wrong or (good and evil)?
Natural law. If it is permissible to kill innocent human persons, then none of us is safe. If we're not safe, we can't prosper as a species. Since we are clearly designed to care for each other and to procreate, we are acting against our own nature by killing innocent persons.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
18 Feb 07

What are you fishing for?