Proper Christian living in a multi-religious context

Proper Christian living in a multi-religious context

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
08 Jan 10
3 edits

Originally posted by Conrau K
Actually, Catholics do believe that they are part of the Trinity, not as another member of the Trinity, but in participating in the Trinity through Christ. We believe that we receive Jesus Christ in the Eucharist and we believe that the Holy Spirit dwells within us in prayer (1Cor 16:19). We do not believe that we become another member of the Trinity but in being united in the body of Christ we participate in the life of the Trinity.
did i not state that the reference is with regard to unity, but no, those Calvinists and protestants use it as a pretence for establishing their dogma! I partook of the Eucharist once, at a friends funeral, young guy who was like a member of our family died on a motorcycle at 21, him and my brother were really close, any how, i was not a catholic, no one asked me, i just wanted to see what it was like, just a little wafer i can remember, with not much taste. was i part of the trinity then? i doubt it.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jan 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
did i not state that the reference is with regard to unity, but no, those Calvinists and protestants use it as a pretence for establishing their dogma! I partook of the Eucharist once, at a friends funeral, young guy who was like a member of our family died on a motorcycle at 21, him and my brother were really close, any how, i was not a catholic, n ...[text shortened]... little wafer i can remember, with not much taste. was i part of the trinity then? i doubt it.
No. For several reasons, you were not really participating in the life of the Trinity. If you were raised a JW, you would not have received a valid baptism which is a necessary prerequisite for any further valid sacraments. all sacramental grace comes through baptism. You also did not have faith which is requisite for any sacrament. You basically committed an act of sacrilege (although, I stress, since you were unaware of it, no one could condemn you for that.)

rc

Moves
08 Jan 10

No. For several reasons, you were not really participating in the life of the Trinity. If you were raised a JW, you would not have received a valid baptism which is a necessary prerequisite for any further valid sacraments. all sacramental grace comes through baptism. You also did not have faith which is requisite for any sacrament. You basically committed ...[text shortened]... sacrilege (although, I stress, since you were unaware of it, no one could condemn you for that.)
no i was not raised a Jehovahs witness, but a kind of catholic/protestant, father catholic mum protestant. why did no one stop me, i mean committing sacrilege in a chapel at Mass is no small thing, i think, albeit in ignorance. Anyhow i am glad that i was not part of the trinity 🙂

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jan 10

no i was not raised a Jehovahs witness, but a kind of catholic/protestant, father catholic mum protestant. why did no one stop me, i mean committing sacrilege in a chapel at Mass is no small thing, i think, albeit in ignorance. Anyhow i am glad that i was not part of the trinity 🙂
No one stopped you because no minister has the right to stop you unless they know they were not a Catholic. Anyway, you show sheer ignorance. St. Paul talks of the bread and wine as the body and blood of Christ that unites us in his body and with one another. How can you scorn that?

rc

Moves
08 Jan 10

No one stopped you because no minister has the right to stop you unless they know they were not a Catholic. Anyway, you show sheer ignorance. St. Paul talks of the bread and wine as the body and blood of Christ that unites us in his body and with one another. How can you scorn that?
i do not scorn it, nor do i believe that it literally becomes the body nor the blood of Christ, nor do i feel that by eating a piece of bread and drinking fermented grapes that i will in anyway be made more Christ like.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jan 10

i do not scorn it, nor do i believe that it literally becomes the body nor the blood of Christ, nor do i feel that by eating a piece of bread and drinking fermented grapes that i will in anyway be made more Christ like.
You may reject the doctrine of the Real Presence. However, you cannot dispute the strong Scriptural basis for this liturgy. You may dispute the Catholic interpretation of it but you cannot deny that it has an importance in salvation. Jesus tells that it is 'cup of the new and everlasting covenant' and instructs his disciples to 'do this in memory of me'. St Paul clearly identifies it as an integral part of Christian worship (1Cor 10, 11). Of course, Catholics do not believe that by receiving the body of Christ that we are made Christ-like (we do not call it bread -- If Christ called it his body, so can we). Becoming Christ-like requires both will as well as grace.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
08 Jan 10

Christ said to eat the bread and drink the wine in remembrance of him. The disciples and early church did it weekly. What possible justification can you have for not doing it or at least recognising its importance apart from "your feeling"? If you go by your feelings the JW doctrine is joke.

rc

Moves
08 Jan 10
3 edits

Originally posted by Rajk999
Christ said to eat the bread and drink the wine in remembrance of him. The disciples and early church did it weekly. What possible justification can you have for not doing it or at least recognising its importance apart from "your feeling"? If you go by your feelings the JW doctrine is joke.
well i am quite sure we can dispense with church tradition, after all, we don't want it making the word of God invalid now do we? therefore if you actually look at the account, you will see that it was instituted on the passover celebration, a yearly event! corresponding to the Jewish month of Nissan, and was held after sundown. Therefore if you want to be pedantic about it, and celebrate it after the manner of Christ and the early christians, why do you not also observe these details, and please note, this is not Jehovahs witness doctrine, this is written in the Bible, therefore i would be very much pleased if you remember that, lest your prejudice lead you astray. As to the frequency of its celebration, perhaps you can show me in the bible where it was celebrated weekly? If you please.

therfore it seems that you have some explaining to do,

1. why you do not celebrate it after sundown, as is written in the bible and as Christ did.

2. why you celebrate it weekly when there is no mention in the scriptures to indicate its frequency other than it was instituted on a annual occasion.

3. why you do not celebrate as christ did, on the corresponding Jewish month of Nisan?

then you may make reference to dogma and tradition 🙂

oh and just for the record, the memorial celebration of Christ, or the Lords supper as it is sometimes referred to, is for us, the most important celebration of the year. It is a time for reflection and appreciation for the sin atoning sacrifice that Christ gave, making possible our relationship with God. It is not a mundane occasion.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jan 10
2 edits

well i am quite sure we can dispense with church tradition, after all, we don't want it making the word of God invalid now do we? therefore if you actually look at the account, you will see that it was instituted on the passover celebration, a yearly event! corresponding to the Jewish month of Nissan, and was held after sundown. Therefore if you wan ...[text shortened]... ice that Christ gave, making possible our relationship with God. It is not a mundane occasion.
Since the old law has been abolished, Christians do not celebrate it on an annual basis in the context of the passover celebration. While the gospels do authoritatively record that the Lord's supper happened during the passover, it does not prescribe this as the norm for future celebrations. So in the Catholic Church, the Eucharist is celebrated every day of the week and is obligatory on Sunday and other Holy Days. This does have a scriptural foundation. In Acts, it seems that the meal was held on a daily basis, Acts 2:46, after the Passover 20:7-11, and clearly times of duress, 27:35. Hence Catholics do not confine themselves to a particular day of the year to celebrate the 'breaking of bread'.

1. why you do not celebrate it after sundown, as is written in the bible and as Christ did.why you do not celebrate as christ did, on the corresponding Jewish month of Nisan?

Because Catholics do not interpret the time of the event as normative. What matters is the bread and wine and words of institution. While Catholics may receive Eucharist every day, however, they do celebrate the institution of it as well. Many dioceses will have a holy hour on Thursday at sundown (generally 6:30), recalling that the Thursday is traditionally regarded as the day of institution (Friday the passion and Sunday the resurrection.) Thursday is also the day when the mysteries of light of the rosary are recited. Catholics reflect on Jesus' baptism, miracle at the wedding of Cana, preaching of the kingdom, transfiguration and lastly the institution of the Eucharist. So Catholics do commemorate the institution of the Eucharist on this particular day although the Eucharist itself is celebrated frequently.

2. why you celebrate it weekly when there is no mention in the scriptures to indicate its frequency other than it was instituted on a annual occasion.

Acts 2:46 clearly speaks of people who met in the temple and broke bread on a daily basis. This is perfectly consonant with the Catholic tradition which encourages frequent Communion and requires it of many priests.

oh and just for the record, the memorial celebration of Christ, or the Lords supper as it is sometimes referred to, is for us, the most important celebration of the year. It is a time for reflection and appreciation for the sin atoning sacrifice that Christ gave, making possible our relationship with God. It is not a mundane occasion.

Good, then hopefully you can see that it is wrong to enter another church and refer to their offering as 'bread and grape juice'.

rc

Moves
09 Jan 10

Since the old law has been abolished, Christians do not celebrate it on an annual basis in the context of the passover celebration. While the gospels do authoritatively record that the Lord's supper happened during the passover, it does not prescribe this as the norm for future celebrations. So in the Catholic Church, the Eucharist is celebrated every day o ...[text shortened]... t is wrong to enter another church and refer to their offering as 'bread and grape juice'.
yes the Law had been abolished, however the lords evening meal, was not a celebration or an extension of the passover, it was entirely a new celebration and since the former was held only once a year, on Nisan 14, to commemorate Israels deliverance from Egyptian bondage. (Exodus 12:6, 14; Leviticus 23:5) so we hold that the death of “Christ our passover” should be memorialized only once each year, not weekly or daily. (1 Corinthians 5:7) In observing the Lords Evening Meal, Christians follow the same procedure as Jesus did when he instituted it. There is no scriptural basis for doing otherwise.

The reference that you gave in acts 2:46 is not a celebration of lords evening meal, but the simple communal taking of a mundane meal together! if every time i invite friends for dinner must it be construed that i am celebrating the memorial to Christ's death? hardly, then why have you interpreted this scripture as being so, it is incredulous! look at the context,

(Acts 2:42) . . .And they continued devoting themselves to the teaching of the apostles and to sharing [with one another], to taking of meals and to prayers.

(Acts 2:44-46) . . .All those who became believers were together in having all things in common,  and they went selling their possessions and properties and distributing the [proceeds] to all, just as anyone would have the need.  And day after day they were in constant attendance at the temple with one accord, and they took their meals in private homes and partook of food with great rejoicing and sincerity of heart,

It seems to me Conrau that a daily occurrence is not a memorial at all, and in fact may be conducive to making the celebration an 'every day', common occurrence or at very least making it a matter of mere ritual, but that is for the Catholic church to deliberate upon.

I find the historical evidence quite compelling, considering the catholic churches insistence, to have its will, i shall submit a rather interesting article, at least to my mind, on the subject. please try to respond when in a peaceful state of mind, i dont want to suffer your wrath, nor to encroach upon that which you hold sacred!

rc

Moves
09 Jan 10
3 edits

Jesus commanded that his death be memorialized, not his resurrection. And since the Jewish Passover falls on a different day each year according to the Gregorian calendar that we now use, it is only natural that the same would be true of the Memorial. Many therefore stuck to the original arrangement and observed the Lord’s Evening Meal on Nisan 14 each year. In time they came to be called Quartodecimans, meaning “Fourteenthers.”

Some scholars recognized that these “Fourteenthers” were following the original apostolic pattern. One historian said: “As regards the day for observing the Pascha [the Lord’s Evening Meal], the usage of the Quartodeciman churches of Asia was continuous with that of the Jerusalem church. In the 2nd century these churches at their Pascha on the 14th of Nisan commemorated the redemption effected by the death of Christ.”—Studia Patristica, Volume V, 1962, page 8.

While many in Asia Minor followed the apostolic practice, Sunday was set aside for observance in Rome. About the year 155 C.E., Polycarp of Smyrna, a representative of the Asian congregations, visited Rome to discuss this and other problems. Unhappily, no agreement was reached on this matter. Irenaeus of Lyons wrote in a letter: “Neither could Anicetus [of Rome] persuade Polycarp not to observe what he had always observed with John the disciple of our Lord and the other apostles with whom he consorted; nor yet did Polycarp persuade Anicetus to observe it, for he said that he ought to hold to the custom of the elders before him.” (Eusebius, Book 5, chapter 24) Note that Polycarp reportedly based his stand on the authority of the apostles, whereas Anicetus appealed to the custom of previous elders in Rome.

This dispute intensified toward the end of the second century C.E. About 190 C.E., a certain Victor was elected bishop of Rome. He believed that the Lord’s Evening Meal should be observed on a Sunday, and he sought the support of as many other leaders as possible. Victor pressured the Asiatic congregations to change to the Sunday arrangement.

Replying on behalf of those in Asia Minor, Polycrates of Ephesus refused to bow to this pressure. He said: “We keep the day without tampering with it, neither adding, nor subtracting.” He then listed many authorities, including the apostle John. “These all,” he maintained, “observed the fourteenth day for the Pascha according to the Gospel, in no way deviating therefrom.” Polycrates added: “I for my part, brethren, . . . am not affrighted by threats. For those better than I have said, We must obey God rather than men.”—Eusebius, Book 5, chapter 24.

Victor was displeased with this reply. One historical work says that he “excommunicated all the Asiatic Churches, and sent his circular letters to all Churches that were of his opinion, that they should hold no communion with them.” However, “this rash and bold act of his was ill resented by all wise and sober men of his own party, several of whom wrote sharply to him, advising him . . . to preserve charity, unity, and peace.”—Bingham’s Antiquities of the Christian Church, Book 20, chapter 5.

Despite such protests, the Christians in Asia Minor became increasingly isolated on the issue of when to celebrate the Lord’s Evening Meal. Variations had crept in elsewhere. Some celebrated the whole period from Nisan 14 through the following Sunday. Others were holding the occasion more frequently—weekly on Sunday.

In 314 C.E. the Council of Arles (France) tried to force the Roman arrangement and suppress any alternative. The remaining Quartodecimans held out. In order to settle this and other matters that were dividing the professed Christians in his empire, in 325 C.E. the pagan emperor Constantine called an ecumenical synod, the Council of Nicaea. It issued a decree that instructed all in Asia Minor to conform to the Roman usage.

It is interesting to note one of the principal arguments advanced for abandoning the observing of the Memorial of Christ’s death according to the date on the Jewish calendar. A History of the Christian Councils, by K. J. Hefele, states: “It was declared to be particularly unworthy for this, the holiest of all festivals, to follow the custom (the calculation) of the Jews, who had soiled their hands with the most fearful of crimes, and whose minds were blinded.” (Volume 1, page 322) To be in such a position was viewed as a “‘humiliating subjection’ to the Synagogue which irked the Church,” says J. Juster, quoted in Studia Patristica, Volume IV, 1961, page 412.

Anti-Semitism! Those who celebrated the Memorial of Jesus’ death on the same day that he died were viewed as Judaizers. It was forgotten that Jesus himself was a Jew and that he had given the day its meaning by then offering his life in behalf of mankind. From then on, the Quartodecimans were censured as heretics and schismatics and were persecuted. The Council of Antioch in 341 C.E. decreed that they were to be excommunicated. Nevertheless, there were still many of them in 400 C.E., and they persisted in small numbers long thereafter.

Since those days, Christendom has failed to return to Jesus’ original arrangement. Professor William Bright admitted: “When a special day, Good Friday, came to be devoted to the commemoration of the Passion as such, it was too late to restrict to it the ‘paschal’ associations which St. Paul had connected with the sacrificial death: they had been freely applied to the Resurrection-festival itself, and a confusion of ideas established itself in the ritual language of Greek and Latin Christendom.”—The Age of the Fathers, Volume 1, page 102.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Jan 10

yes the Law had been abolished, however the lords evening meal, was not a celebration or an extension of the passover, it was entirely a new celebration and since the former was held only once a year, on Nisan 14, to commemorate Israels deliverance from Egyptian bondage. (Exodus 12:6, 14; Leviticus 23:5) so we hold that the death of “Christ our passo ...[text shortened]... e of mind, i dont want to suffer your wrath, nor to encroach upon that which you hold sacred!
I doubt the honesty of these translations. Standard translations refer to the 'breaking of bread' in all these examples, not 'the partaking of food'. The Greek used here is 'artos' which even still in Greek churches is the name for the Eucharist.

rc

Moves
09 Jan 10
2 edits

I doubt the honesty of these translations. Standard translations refer to the 'breaking of bread' in all these examples, not 'the partaking of food'. The Greek used here is 'artos' which even still in Greek churches is the name for the Eucharist.
i see, how very interesting, but you cannot doubt the context, can you, clearly showing that breaking of bread is not in this instance in anyway to be associated with the lords evening meal, how telling dont you think? my wife read hers in her Urdu translation, and it basically says the same, if you like we can look at the Greek interlinear, but it matters not, for you shall need to prove that this was a celebration of the lords evening meal, which you cannot do, therefore to state that it is, is highly speculative and almost clutching at straws. standard translations also refer to the Word as God almighty, which we know is clearly erroneous.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Jan 10

i see, how very interesting, but you cannot doubt the context, can you, clearly showing that breaking of bread is not in this instance in anyway to be associated with the lords evening meal, how telling dont you think? my wife read hers in her Urdu translation, and it basically says the same, if you like we can look at the Greek interlinear, but it ...[text shortened]... tandard translations also refer to the Word as God almighty, which we know is clearly erroneous.
I think the reference in Acts 20:7 is much clearer:

On the first day of the week when we gathered to break bread, Paul spoke to them because he was going to leave on the next day, and he kept on speaking until midnight.

The bible for the USCCB (US conference for bishops) has this footnotes:

The first day of the week: the day after the sabbath and the first day of the Jewish week, apparently chosen originally by the Jerusalem community for the celebration of the liturgy of the Eucharist in order to relate it to the resurrection of Christ.

That seems very plausible. Before Jesus instituted the Eucharist, the gospels record 'He took the bread and broke it, saying 'this is my body'.' So the 'breaking of the bread' clearly refers back to this event.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Jan 10
1 edit

Jesus commanded that his death be memorialized, not his resurrection. And since the Jewish Passover falls on a different day each year according to the Gregorian calendar that we now use, it is only natural that the same would be true of the Memorial. Many therefore stuck to the original arrangement and observed the Lord’s Evening Meal on Nisan 14 ea ...[text shortened]... the ritual language of Greek and Latin Christendom.”—The Age of the Fathers, Volume 1, page 102.
There are two questions here: when should the Lord's supper be celebrated and when should the community be obliged to gather and celebrate it? For Catholics, the Lord's supper may be celebrated any time. It is a pious devotion to receive Communion daily. This is simply a practice that has emerged in tradition (although I would still call Acts 2:46 favorable evidence, which in my bible says, 'they devoted themselves to breaking bread'😉.

The second question has always been more controversial. Should the community meet on Saturday as was the earlier custom of the Jews or on Sunday which commemorates the resurrection? The early church did hotly debate this. I do not deny it. Acts 20:7 clearly suggests that Sunday had some liturgical significance and the reference in Revelations 1:10 to the Lord's day has generally been associated with Sunday. The apostles would very likely have met on Saturday too. The apostles were all Jewish and from Acts we can see that all except Peter and Paul clung to the earlier Jewish practices. The Catholic Church eventually chose Sunday. It also included other days of obligation, such as Easter Friday and Christmas day.

In the context of this discussion, the latter question is not relevant. We were discussing when the Eucharist be celebrated, not when the community meet for worship. Catholics may receive the Eucharist any day, not just once a year (which to me has no scriptural evidence). However, they are obliged to receive it on Sunday.

It is also a pious practice to receive Communion on Friday because this day is associated with Jesus' death. It is especially common to meet on the first Friday of the month as part of the devotion to the sacred heart, reflecting on Jesus' love for humanity when he sacrificed himself for all. Friday is also the day for the recitation of the sorrowful mysteries of the rosary, when Catholics reflect on 'the agony in the garden, the scourging, the crowing with thorns, the carrying of the cross and the crucifixion.'