Power Of Prayer

Power Of Prayer

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maryland

Moves
07 May 16

People pray to God/Jesus/Allah all the time and from time to time think their prayers are answered. For example, people may pray that team X will win the super bowl and believe their prayer was answered when team X wins. Notice, however, if someone missing an arm prays for it to grow back, the prayer is never answered. The bottom line is whoever wins the super bowl would have won it with or with out prayer and prayer has the same effect on the super bowl as it does on growing an arm back.......nothing!

y

Moves
07 May 16

Originally posted by 667joe
People pray to God/Jesus/Allah all the time and from time to time think their prayers are answered. For example, people may pray that team X will win the super bowl and believe their prayer was answered when team X wins. Notice, however, if someone missing an arm prays for it to grow back, the prayer is never answered. The bottom line is whoever wins the ...[text shortened]... d prayer has the same effect on the super bowl as it does on growing an arm back.......nothing!
So what is your point... people should stop praying for their team to win and for missing arms to grow?

Cape Town

Moves
07 May 16

Originally posted by yoctobyte
So what is your point... people should stop praying for their team to win and for missing arms to grow?
I think his point is that most theists lie to themselves continuously with regards to prayer and know it. Sometimes its just fun to point it out.
Another one that really gets to me is 'blessings'. People will often say 'bless you' or equivalents like its some kind of magic spell.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 May 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
I think his point is that most theists lie to themselves continuously with regards to prayer and know it. Sometimes its just fun to point it out.
Another one that really gets to me is 'blessings'. People will often say 'bless you' or equivalents like its some kind of magic spell.
Saying theists "lie" to themselves regarding prayer is just more sneering.

It's like saying atheists "lie" to themselves regarding God.

rc

Moves
07 May 16
1 edit

Originally posted by 667joe
People pray to God/Jesus/Allah all the time and from time to time think their prayers are answered. For example, people may pray that team X will win the super bowl and believe their prayer was answered when team X wins. Notice, however, if someone missing an arm prays for it to grow back, the prayer is never answered. The bottom line is whoever wins the ...[text shortened]... d prayer has the same effect on the super bowl as it does on growing an arm back.......nothing!
Leicester city just won the English premier league after they flew in Buddhist monks to bless the football ground and the players, they were given odds of 5000/1 at the start of the season. What have you to say for yourself now?

rain

Moves
07 May 16

Originally posted by Suzianne

It's like saying atheists "lie" to themselves regarding God.
If someone you love gets into a bad car accident, will you call 911 first, or will you pray first?

Please state the reason for your answer.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 May 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
"...and know it."

Ummmmm, what?

So theists "know" they lie regarding prayer? If we thought God wasn't listening (or that we "know" there is no God to listen), why would we pray? No, what we "know" is that God listens. He doesn't always answer.

Regarding "blessings", it's just like saying "Have a nice day." We don't expect God to "bless" you just because we say so.. It's just a convivial conversation closer. It's especially common in the US, mostly among older people. I think for them, it's a reminder of a more kindly time.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 May 16
1 edit

Originally posted by vivify
If someone you love gets into a bad car accident, will you call 911 first, or will you pray first?

Please state the reason for your answer.
I would call 911 first. There's no reason for them to die while I am praying. I can pray once they're in the ambulance or at the hospital. Obviously, their needs come before mine. Why should they die while I am standing there stomping my feet demanding a miracle? It's incumbent upon me to do what I can, to the best of my ability to help, while I can help. God will strengthen me if I need it. At the moment of an emergency, praying is not the most efficacious use of my time. Maybe a quickie, like "God, help me!" We're past the age of miracles, for the most part. God may save the person from the brink of death, but not if they burn up in a car that caught fire while I was busy praying. There is a time to pray and a time to act.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 May 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Leicester city just won the English premier league after they flew in Buddhist monks to bless the football ground and the players, they were given odds of 5000/1 at the start of the season. What have you to say for yourself now?
Here's what I say about that: Don't be a complete knob.

Sorry, but soccer is not on God's "to-do" list.

D

Moves
07 May 16
2 edits

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
08 May 16

The post that was quoted here has been removed
The time for prayer was before he signed up.

Cape Town

Moves
08 May 16

Do you pray for things? Do you believe it works?

Cape Town

Moves
08 May 16

We don't expect God to "bless" you just because we say so.. It's just a convivial conversation closer.
So basically a lie that everybody knows is a lie. Gotcha.

K

Germany

Moves
08 May 16

The effect of prayer has been studied in many different studies and no effect (e.g. on recovering from an illness) has been found. Of course, if people want to pray and it makes them feel better, the best of luck to them.

rc

Moves
08 May 16
1 edit

Here's what I say about that: Don't be a complete knob.

Sorry, but soccer is not on God's "to-do" list.
It certainly seems to be on the Buddhists to do list.

Phra Prommangkalachan says Leicester's success will continue if it keeps upholding the law of karma.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/29/football/leicester-city-buddha-monks-karma/index.html