Philosophy

Philosophy

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
30 Jun 18

"When you think about it, thinking about thinking is the hardest sort of thinking there is. Which makes you think."

Is there a grain of truth in this?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
30 Jun 18

Originally posted by @fmf
[youtube]oTJGrGAa_wg[/youtube]

"When you think about it, thinking about thinking is the hardest sort of thinking there is. Which makes you think."

What am I?
If you take one letter I am still the same.
If you take two letters away I am still the same.
If you add a letter I am still the same.
(I watched the clip till the end)

rain

Moves
30 Jun 18

[youtube]oTJGrGAa_wg[/youtube]

Metacognition (awareness of thought process) isn't difficult but it is work; just like doing chores around the house. A house gets messy not because the work is too hard, but because you'd rather be doing something else. "Thinking about thinking" is similar.

Moves
30 Jun 18

Originally posted by @vivify
Metacognition (awareness of thought process) isn't difficult but it is work; just like doing chores around the house. A house gets messy not because the work is too hard, but because you'd rather be doing something else. "Thinking about thinking" is similar.
This is the principle reason I didn't enjoy smoking pot back in the 1970s. It magnified my thoughts about ...well...my thoughts.

It really became a bore. And I'm never excited to get bored. 😛

F

Moves
01 Jul 18

Originally posted by @vivify
The fact that we have the capacity for metacognition is one of the few things that gives me, an agnostic atheist, some pause for thought and prevents me from being an explicit atheist.

rain

Moves
01 Jul 18
1 edit

The fact that we have the capacity for metacognition is one of the few things that gives me, an agnostic atheist, some pause for thought and prevents me from being an explicit atheist.
What is an "agnostic atheist"? I know what both of words mean separately, but not together.

c

Moves
01 Jul 18

"Agnostic atheist"?

Okay.

F

Moves
01 Jul 18

Originally posted by @chaney3
"Agnostic atheist"?

Okay.
Yes.

Thread 175901

c

Moves
01 Jul 18

Can you elaborate?

I'm interested to know why metacognition causes pause with you.

I don't know much about it, and would like to understand the connection.

F

Moves
01 Jul 18

Can you elaborate?

I'm interested to know why metacognition causes pause with you.

I don't know much about it, and would like to understand the connection.
As I have said many, many times on this forum, the wondrous amalgam of human capacities, for me, leaves the door ajar with regard to the possibility that there might be a creator or some form of central intelligence in the universe. It's certainly an interesting thing to contemplate and I have talked about it many a time; indeed, it prevents me from using the term "atheist" on its own when I describe myself. Looking back, as my Christian beliefs slipped away as I lost faith in the Bible as a credible revelation of such a creator being, I think I saw myself as a deist for quite a few years.

c

Moves
01 Jul 18

As I have said many, many times on this forum, the wondrous amalgam of human capacities, for me, leaves the door ajar with regard to the possibility that there might be a creator or some form of central intelligence in the universe. It's certainly an interesting thing to contemplate and I have talked about it many a time; indeed, it prevents me from using the t ...[text shortened]... dible revelation of such a creator being, I think I saw myself as a deist for quite a few years.
I didn't know this.

F

Moves
01 Jul 18

I didn't know this.
I've talked to you - you specifically - about it before - in answer to almost exactly the same question. Stay healthy.

c

Moves
01 Jul 18

I've talked to you - you specifically - about it before - in answer to almost exactly the same question. Stay healthy.
Stay healthy??

A jab at my past?
If so, low blow.

F

Moves
01 Jul 18

Stay healthy??

A jab at my past?
If so, low blow.
You have my best wishes with regard to your health, as you well know. But people saying that they don't remember stuff or they don't know stuff, even though there have been conversations about the stuff is boring.

c

Moves
01 Jul 18

You have my best wishes with regard to your health, as you well know. But people saying that they don't remember stuff or they don't know stuff, even though there have been conversations about the stuff is boring.
I thought you were an atheist now. Didn't know you left an option open for God.

It could have been a misunderstanding on my part.

Still, no need for you to act like an arrogant, smug SOB.

I try to communicate with you, but I think the problem is that you're, by nature, just a jerk, and a real turn-off to speak with.

Most posters would agree, as you well know.