Personal conceptions: individualism & belonging

Personal conceptions: individualism & belonging

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
31 Dec 21

This is what it sounds like… when trolls cry. 🎶

Adapted from the song by Prince
All rights paid for
Thumbs may go up as well as down

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21
1 edit

So let’s recap what happened here…

The OP posed a question, I responded and blew his silly pseudo-intellectual query out of the water.

The OP then got dishonest and personal and one of his compadre trolls rode in to his rescue with some flippantly stupid post.

Am I missing anything?

Moves
31 Dec 21
1 edit

@pb1022 said

Am I missing anything?
Just a permanent ban due to your behaviour here in your previous user incarnation.

F

Moves
31 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
The OP posed a question, I responded and blew his silly pseudo-intellectual query out of the water.
The OP's question is not "silly", nor is it "pseudo-intellectual" in any way. Indeed, on the previous page, you said: "Thank you for the thought-provoking question."

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@divegeester said
Just a permanent ban due to your behaviour here in your previous user incarnation.
Again, completely off topic and without substance and yet another example of why you’re the most toxic person on this site.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@fmf said
The OP's question is not "silly", nor is it "pseudo-intellectual" in any way. Indeed, on the previous page, you said: "Thank you for the thought-provoking question."
Right - thought provoking for atheists. Not so for Christians.

But you claimed to be a Christian for 40 years, and you don’t know that God’s Holy Spirit and the human spirit are not the same?

Wow. Almost seems like your claim to have been a former Christian is a blatant lie 😉

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

F

Moves
31 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
But you claimed to be a Christian for 40 years, and you don’t know that God’s Holy Spirit and the human spirit are not the same?
Being an agnostic atheist, my analysis is that theological terms like "God’s Holy Spirit" and "the soul" are what religionists use to describe what I see as the unique individual identity/capacity that gives each of us our personhood. I haven't self-identified as a Christian for about 20 years now.

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
31 Dec 21

@fmf said
Spirituality is concerned with things of the spirit, which I take to mean our each and every human spirit ~ which, in harness with cognitive abilities, is the basis for our capacity for [or contribution to] abstract interaction and imagination. This in turn, again, to my way of thinking, forms the basis for our uniqueness and individuality ~ for which others might use the word "s ...[text shortened]... your philosophy of individualism and how you see yourself relating to the society in which you live?
Slightly left-field, but relevant, I feel, to the main thrust of your OP. Zen teachers have often warned against becoming entangled in ideas of what the mind, spirit, the world or enlightenment really is. Many Zen stories express the idea that the mind, and indeed ‘peace of mind’, is not what we might think. A famous example is this dialogue between two of the founding figures of Zen, Bodhidharma and his student Huike:

Huike said to Bodhidharma: ‘My mind is anxious, please pacify it.’ To which Bodhidharma replied, ‘Bring me your mind, and I will pacify it.’ Huike said, ‘Although I’ve sought it, I cannot find it.’ Bodhidharma then said, ‘There, I have already pacified your mind.’

F

Moves
31 Dec 21

@pianoman1 said
Slightly left-field, but relevant, I feel, to the main thrust of your OP. Zen teachers have often warned against becoming entangled in ideas of what the mind, spirit, the world or enlightenment really is. Many Zen stories express the idea that the mind, and indeed ‘peace of mind’, is not what we might think. A famous example is this dialogue between two of the founding figu ...[text shortened]... ’ve sought it, I cannot find it.’ Bodhidharma then said, ‘There, I have already pacified your mind.’
Acting on a tip from a friend, I have been enjoying talks ~ on the mind/brain ~ given by Iain McGilchrist. His analysis contributes much to any attempt to understand the human consciousness.

Moves
31 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
I never made that accusation and I find your dishonesty to be quite repulsive.
Again, I'm not sure what your strategy here is. You deny such accusations as though the regulars here have forgotten the disturbed things you posted under your previous account. I remember those comments you directed at FMF clearly and did indeed find them repulsive.

Rather than being dishonest yourself you should show some of that Christian humility you are supposed to be imbued with and offer a genuine apology.

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
31 Dec 21

@fmf said
Acting on a tip from a friend, I have been enjoying talks ~ on the mind/brain ~ given by Iain McGilchrist. His analysis contributes much to any attempt to understand the human consciousness.
I recommend:

“Zen and the art of Consciousness” by Susan Blackmore.

She is a psychologist, lecturer and free thinker researching ideas of consciousness and parapsychology.

I think you’ll find it interesting.

Moves
31 Dec 21
2 edits

@pb1022 said
Again, completely off topic and without substance and yet another example of why you’re the most toxic person on this site.
I think you’ll find you’re not welcome on that particular bandwagon either.

Moves
31 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
I never made that accusation and I find your dishonesty to be quite repulsive.
If you are the retuning user Romans1009, then you most certainly did. In fact we may even have a copy/paste record of in my club files.

Moves
31 Dec 21

@divegeester said
If you are the retuning user Romans1009
I thought you had already made a positive identification . . .