1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '21 00:03
    1 Corinthians 7

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%207&version=NASB

Evidently a Christian woman is not allowed to leave a husband who is not a Christian, but can leave a Christian husband.

A Christian husband is not allowed to leave a wife, Christian or not.

Why the sexist double standard?
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    03 Sep '21 02:07
    @eladar said
    1 Corinthians 7

Evidently a Christian woman is not allowed to leave a husband who is not a Christian, but can leave a Christian husband.

i demand you change this
    at once
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Sep '21 06:17
    @eladar said
    1 Corinthians 7

You wanna leave your wife, leave your wife. Don't come in here moaning about it.

(If you let Paul run your life, you have bigger problems that we can't help you with.)
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '21 10:59
    @suzianne said
    You wanna leave your wife, leave your wife. Don't come in here moaning about it.

(If you let Paul run your life, you have bigger problems that we can't help you with.)
    I am just wondering why it is ok for women to leave a Christian husband, but not an unbeliever.

I take it you believe Paul's writings are not actually important to Christians.
  5. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    03 Sep '21 11:356 edits
    @eladar said
    I am just wondering why it is ok for women to leave a Christian husband, but not an unbeliever.

I take it you believe Paul's writings are not actually important to Christians.
    [1 Corinthians 7:12-16 NKJV] 12 But to the rest I, not the Lord, say: If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is willing to live with him, let him not divorce her. 13 And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him.
    14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy. 15 But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such [cases]. But God has called us to peace. 16 For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save [your] husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save [your] wife?
    Your problem is that you are listening to someone(a flawed human) from biblegateway. Also, back then, husbands could have several wives. Men could support themselves and their wives; usually wifes could not support themselves in that culture; and, the divorced wives would go homeless and destitute if their husbands divorced them. Also, in that culture, a divorced woman would never be able to find another husband; unlike the husbands who usually had several wives. Women could only have one husband. The only sexist double standard here was their culture, not in what Paul wrote here.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '21 12:18
    @KingDavid403

So you are saying that what Paul wrote does not apply to women of today.
  7. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    03 Sep '21 12:547 edits
    @eladar said
    @KingDavid403

Where did I say that? What Paul wrote applies to all women and men today; along with all the other scriptures written in the New Testament. As Jesus said: One can divorce their spouse for marital unfaithfulness and nothing else (paraphrised). Also, marital unfaithfulness was not only sexually; ones marital unfaithfulness could be physical abuse to spouse or children, drunkenness, etc. This is written in the greek texts; not the current english texts today. Marital unfaithfulness in the Greek texts could mean several different things, other than just sexually.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '21 13:32
    @kingdavid403 said
    Where did I say that? What Paul wrote applies to all women and men today; along with all the other scriptures written in the New Testament. As Jesus said: One can divorce their spouse for marital unfaithfulness and nothing else (paraphrised). Also, marital unfaithfulness was not only sexually; ones marital unfaithfulness could be physical abuse to spouse or children, d ...[text shortened]... tal unfaithfulness in the Greek texts could mean several different things, other than just sexually.
    You said it applied to that society not this society.
  9. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    03 Sep '21 14:212 edits
    @eladar said
    You said it applied to that society not this society.
    Okay liar. lol...
    I said: "What Paul wrote applies to all women and men today; along with all the other scriptures written in the New Testament."
    That's what I said liar boy; go back and read; if you know how. Anything else that you would like to bear false witness about liar? lol...
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '21 15:10
    @KingDavid403

This is what you wrote

Also, back then, husbands could have several wives. Men could support themselves and their wives; usually wifes could not support themselves in that culture; and, the divorced wives would go homeless and destitute if their husbands divorced them. Also, in that culture, a divorced woman would never be able to find another husband; unlike the husbands who usually had several wives. Women could only have one husband. The only sexist double standard here was their culture, not in what Paul wrote here.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Sep '21 17:071 edit
    @eladar said
    @KingDavid403

Given his misogyny, the idea that Paul's advice is poignant for women of today is laughable.

In the time of his writing, women were third-class citizens. Compared to their husbands, they had few to no rights. Women do not need husbands today to lead fulfilling lives.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Sep '21 17:151 edit
    @Suzianne

Paul's teaching to both men Christians and women Christians is very good.
    Why are you so hard on the man whom God used to author 13 or so books of the
    NT's 27 books?
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '21 17:22
    @suzianne said
    Given his misogyny, the idea that Paul's advice is poignant for women of today is laughable.

In the time of his writing, women were third-class citizens. Compared to their husbands, they had few to no rights. Women do not need husbands today to lead fulfilling lives.
    Given your misandry, any comment of yours is without merit.
  14. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    03 Sep '21 18:171 edit
    @eladar said
    @KingDavid403

This is what you wrote

Also, back then, husbands could have several wives. Men could support themselves and their wives; usually wifes could not support themselves in that culture; and, the divorced wives would go homeless and destitute if their husbands divorced them. Also, in that culture, a divorced woman would never be able to find another husband; unli ...[text shortened]... ve one husband. The only sexist double standard here was their culture, not in what Paul wrote here.
    Where do you get this out of what I wrote above? I was just giving you historical facts.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '21 18:24
    @kingdavid403 said
    Where do you get this out of what I wrote above? I was just giving you historical facts.
    You said Paul was writing about s time of double standard. The double standard was not Paul's but in reaction to the double standard of the day.

The double standard does not exist today, so no longer applies.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree