"Only God's judgment is infallible..."

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
15 Dec 17

Originally posted by @dj2becker
Everyone’s definition of what is reasonable and well supported may differ. Do you think believers in God do not believe the evidence for the existence of God is reasonable and well supported from their perspective?
I think some people, irrespective of theistic views, understand the importance of good evidence, while others wouldn't know a good piece of evidence if it bit them in the ass.

I strive to be in the former category.

Moves
15 Dec 17

Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
I think some people, irrespective of theistic views, understand the importance of good evidence, while others wouldn't know a good piece of evidence if it bit them in the ass.

I strive to be in the former category.
What would a piece of good evidence for the existence of God look like if it bit you in the ass? If you can’t answer the question it means you would not know a good piece of evidence if it bit you in the ass.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
15 Dec 17

What would a piece of good evidence for the existence of God look like if it bit you in the ass? If you can’t answer the question it means you would not know a good piece of evidence if it bit you in the ass.
That is one of the few good questions you have asked, it has been asked many times before of course.

A preposterous proposition would obviously require extraordinarily robust evidence.

For me that would require personal and 3rd party evidence that was recordable, verifiable and repeatable.

How about you?
What would good evidence look like for you for the non-existence of god?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
16 Dec 17
1 edit

Say a voice spoke to me: "I am God. You were wrong to doubt me." And then a huge hand comes out of the sky and parts the Atlantic Ocean.

That would be pretty strong evidence, to me.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Dec 17
1 edit

Say a voice spoke to me: "I am God. You were wrong to doubt me." And then a huge hand comes out of the sky and parts the Atlantic Ocean.

A dramatic wide spread physical manifestation of God in creation did take place at Mt. Sinai in the Exodus of Israel from Egypt.

Now you may not believe that such a thing happened, that God manifested divine glory to a million or so people in a dramatic way. But you should really read the story again.

When I read it, it sounds like me and my neighbors. It has a ring of authenticity to it. That is because the effect quickly wore off and before you know it, the crowd had broken just about ALL of the ten commandments and clamored to be taken BACK to Egypt.

There is a realism about the miraculous grandstanding of God wearing off and the sinful nature of man driving him to "business as usual"... " Let's make a gold calf and worship it. That's more tangible. Let that be the God to lead us back to the awful place we just got rescued from. At least we had garlic, leeks, tasty onions, water, flesh, mellons, and a place to be buried."

When I read this, it comes across, even with the spectacular evidence in supernatural form, of candid realism.

In the New Testament, Christ's miraculous manifestation was more an INWARD testifying of His reality.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
17 Dec 17

It could also be strong evidence sir of a mental health relapse and an experience of visual and auditory hallucinations. (And far more likely).

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
17 Dec 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
It could also be strong evidence sir of a mental health relapse and an experience of visual and auditory hallucinations. (And far more likely).
To others, perhaps.

If I was so far gone as to have such a comprehensive hallucination, then I probably wouldn't be aware of just how crazy I had become, so the theists would have me. 🙂

Edit: I'd also think there would be more than a few other people who saw it. Ought to make headlines all over the world. Then again, that could all be part of the hallucination as well. 🙂

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
17 Dec 17

Originally posted by @sonship
A dramatic wide spread physical manifestation of God in creation did take place at Mt. Sinai in the [b]Exodus of Israel from Egypt.

Now you may not believe that such a thing happened, that God manifested divine glory to a million or so people in a dramatic way. But you should really read the story again.

When I read it, it sounds like me and my n ...[text shortened]... estament, Christ's miraculous manifestation was more an INWARD testifying of His reality.[/b]
There are about a million stories of human beings getting restless and veering from their original purpose.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
17 Dec 17
2 edits

Originally posted by @sonship
A dramatic wide spread physical manifestation of God in creation did take place at Mt. Sinai in the Exodus of Israel from Egypt.
When will (some) Christians realise that the bible is NOT “evidence” of God’s existence!

Moves
17 Dec 17

Originally posted by @divegeester
When will (some) Christians realise that the bible is NOT “evidence” of God’s existence!
If the Bible isn’t evidence, what is? Or do you believe there is none?

F

Moves
17 Dec 17

If the Bible isn’t evidence, what is?
Just about every Christian here at RHP has surely stated at one point or another, if not repeatedly, that the most compelling evidence of God's existence is creation itself. I assumed you had done so too.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
17 Dec 17
1 edit

If the Bible isn’t evidence, what is? Or do you believe there is none?
Why do I always have to come up with alternatives to your erroneous beliefs? The bible is NOT evidence of anything, if you do think it is evidence, then please explain how it is “evidence”.

Moves
18 Dec 17

Originally posted by @fmf
Just about every Christian here at RHP has surely stated at one point or another, if not repeatedly, that the most compelling evidence of God's existence is creation itself. I assumed you had done so too.
Evidence for which God?

Moves
18 Dec 17
2 edits

Originally posted by @divegeester
Why do I always have to come up with alternatives to your erroneous beliefs? The bible is NOT evidence of anything, if you do think it is evidence, then please explain how it is “evidence”.
If the Bible is not evidence of anything how is it you believe in Jesus? Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. You do believe the Bible is the word of God don’t you? If you discard the Bible as evidence, what evidence is there to make claim for our (the christian) God's existance over any other religious god?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
18 Dec 17
2 edits

If the Bible is not evidence of anything how is it you believe in Jesus? Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. You do believe the Bible is the word of God don’t you? If you discard the Bible as evidence, what evidence is there to make claim for our (the christian) God's existance over any other religious god?
This is not about me or my beliefs.

If YOU are claiming that the Bible is evidence of God, then YOU explain how it is evidence.

Please stop obfuscating by asking me how I know Jesus, or some other distraction from what YOU are claiming, it is irrelevant to YOU jumping in and claiming that YOU think the Bible is evidence.