Nobody is good, except one, God.

Nobody is good, except one, God.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
26 Jul 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Is it?
As you know, I believe it is at the core of pretty much all religions.

rc

Moves
26 Jul 12

Originally posted by FMF
As you know, I believe it is at the core of pretty much all religions.
Do you?

F

Moves
26 Jul 12
1 edit

Is it?
Like I said, this urging to display goodness is at the core of Christianity. When I said something similar recently on another thread, you claimed that Jesus' teaching "contradicts" me. I don't think it does. Would you characterize my view as being amongst the "most outlandish of assertions"?

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
26 Jul 12

it was not meaningless to the recipient, or anyone else for that matter, its only
meaningless because you say it is, and your assertion that he was not talking of God
because he was talking of the so called God of the old testament is equally ludicrous.
Let it be known that you have FAILED to state anything of consequence with regard to
the ...[text shortened]... s a reference to God as the highest
standard of goodness in the absolute and consummate sense.
and so you have failed to comprehend. this is no surprise, it's a pattern with you.

let it be known that despite your failure to understand, the reference to biblegod as the highest standard of goodness is demonstrably false. biblegod is bat-guano crazy and this insanity is a function of an awakening civilizations stumbling attempts to make sense of things.

it worked well enough back then, but in the modern sense, much of what biblegod commanded as his eternal unchanging word has been abandoned. your own jesus christ urged you to abandon most of it by the ludicrous claim that he "fulfilled" said laws, another one of his meaningless claims.

he didn't fulfill any laws. he introduced a new moral standard and a new god; the "father" god which replaced the jealous "husband" god of the old testament.

perhaps one day you will begin to understand the important distinction between the husband god and the father god. but you are not yet ready for that enlightenment and my words are a voice in the wilderness.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Jul 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
and so you have failed to comprehend. this is no surprise, it's a pattern with you.

let it be known that despite your failure to understand, the reference to biblegod as the highest standard of goodness is demonstrably false. biblegod is bat-guano crazy and this insanity is a function of an awakening civilizations stumbling attempts to make sense of ...[text shortened]... you are not yet ready for that enlightenment and my words are a voice in the wilderness.
Why do you keep trolling on here? What business is it of yours what others believe spiritually, since you have no spiritual beliefs whatsoever? 😏

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 Jul 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Why do you keep trolling on here? What business is it of yours what others believe spiritually, since you have no spiritual beliefs whatsoever? 😏
Another insightful insight from the master 😛

If I only got about 5% of Voidspirit , I'd still prefer that to 100% of you.
Just sayin' ....

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Jul 12
1 edit

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Another insightful insight from the master 😛

If I only got about 5% of Voidspirit , I'd still prefer that to 100% of you.
Just sayin' ....
That is because you have a hostility toward real Christians, like me, who are in your face.
HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Glory be to God!

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
26 Jul 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Why do you keep trolling on here? What business is it of yours what others believe spiritually, since you have no spiritual beliefs whatsoever? 🙄
spirituality is not a belief. it's a way of life.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
26 Jul 12

what is it about, God is good in the absolute and consummate sense that you fail to
comprehend? If christians are to display goodness, or be good, then clearly, this is the
intended meaning of Christs words, otherwise, you will need to explain how the are to
cultivate the quality of goodness, if in reality, only God is good. Thus logic itself
dictates how we can understand Christ's intended meaning.
Why is me who is failing to understand?

Your OP asks what is the meaning of Jesus saying "why do you call me good; no one is good except God?"

I gave you my thoughts on it and you just rudely dismissed them.

Please tell me this whole thread is not mearly one of your jaunts into Greek semantics; this time exploring the true meaning of the word "good"?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
26 Jul 12

Originally posted by FMF
To be fair to robbie, he has already stated that the teaching of Jesus contradicts my belief that 'being good' is at the core of the Christian religion. Indeed, robbie used the quote that kicked off this thread to substantiate his claim that my view about the position of 'being good' in Christianity was contradicted by Jesus. In fact, I believe it is that exchange that gave rise to this thread.
Ah - now we are getting somewhere! This explains robbie's blunt determination not to allow poster's personal thoughts or insights to enter the thread - he's in 'chess mode' and is hope to 'mate' FMF.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
26 Jul 12
1 edit

Originally posted by JS357
Oh shucks, I just read through all this back-and-forth only to see it come to this.

Was there a bigger point you want to get back to? Any lingering issues for this thread?
I feel disapointed; I thought this thread had potential at the OP. The idea of exploring the the motives of the man who calledJesus "good teacher" holds some interest to me. But no... the JW has his point to prove!

Moves
26 Jul 12
1 edit

Originally posted by divegeester
I feel disapointed; I thought this thread had potential at the OP. The idea of exploring the the motives of the man who calledJesus "good teacher" holds some interest to me. But no... the JW has his point to prove!
Well, we are being given a pretty good overview of the main themes of JW theology. Just from the OP, we can discern that the Bible passage will be of concern to the JW, and if we bite, we will, with some digging, learn what the JW position will be. So we are being educated even if we resist. For those of us who finally see the light, it will be so easy! I can't say that any of the other branded faiths represented here are making such potentially effective use of this forum, although the resistance being thrown up suggests that it's not really working yet. But, as they say, one soul at a time, if and when.

Edi: I'm not really sure they say 'one soul at a time."

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
26 Jul 12
2 edits

Well, we are being given a pretty good overview of the main themes of JW theology. Just from the OP, we can discern that the Bible passage will be of concern to the JW, and if we bite, we will, with some digging, learn what the JW position will be. So we are being educated even if we resist. For those of us who finally see the light, it will be so easy! I can' ...[text shortened]... suggests that it's not really working yet. But, as they say, one soul at a time, if and when.
I wouldn't say this method of communicating about ones branded faith (organisation) is affective at all. Perhaps if you are considering the amount of noise robbie makes; or to use a marketing term 'share of voice', then yes I would agree (in that he and Galveston make the most noice of all branded religions here).

If the casual observer was reading over the JW orientated threads in this forum, do you think they would feel more, or less inclinded to sign up?

Moves
26 Jul 12
1 edit

Originally posted by divegeester
I wouldn't say this method of communicating about ones branded faith (organisation) is affective at all. Perhaps if you are considering the amount of noise robbie makes; or to use a marketing term 'share of voice', then yes I would agree (in that he and Galveston make the most noice of all branded religions here).

If the casual observer was reading o ...[text shortened]... tated threads in this forum, do you think they would feel more, or less inclinded to sign up?
I don't know. It would be interesting to know. My gut feeling is that all of the positions taken here (including any I take) are too weakly presented to change anyone's mind. It is like an attack by a weak staph infection, it only serves to strengthen the defenses, which is counterproductive to the stated positions. That has made me question from time to time whether organized conversion programs like the JW's, take lessons from these forays, to learn from and modify their approaches. It does not seem that they do. From what I have seen of their pamphlets on line, they are not oriented toward dealing with serious skeptics. But they are doing rather well in some parts of the world.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
26 Jul 12

I don't know. It would be interesting to know. My gut feeling is that all of the positions taken here (including any I take) are too weakly presented to change anyone's mind. It is like an attack by a weak staph infection, it only serves to strengthen the defenses, which is counterproductive to the stated positions. That has made me question from time to time ...[text shortened]... ard dealing with serious skeptics. But they are doing rather well in some parts of the world.
I agree - and I like your staph simile.

Most corporately organised religions will do well somewhere in the world. It is my observation that many people seek a 'religion' like they seek somewhere to buy their groceries - functionality, ease of use, security etc. win over because those people want to feel part of something, to belong. Some seek the 'exclusivity' of the more cult-like religions such as the JW's and Mormons for examples; belonging to such organisations gives members a feeling of unique specialness, security and in some cases superiority.