Noah's Ark?

Noah's Ark?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
03 Dec 09
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
are you suggesting that Christ was using the Noah account as a parable?
Not really. I am saying that in the wording you quoted it is far from clear that he thought the Noah account was literal. I certainly doubt that he intended to make a claim either way.
People frequently use famous stories as examples whether those famous stories are historical or fictional. For example I might quote from "The Lord of the Rings" when I am trying to get a point across, but that doesn't mean I think it is factual.
Add to my above argument that the wording you quoted is a translation, and without knowing the original language, culture and context it would be wrong to draw any hasty conclusions.

I must point out that only a very small fraction of Christians actually believe the Noah story to be factual.

F

Moves
03 Dec 09

this has as yet nothing to do with what Christ did not teach, nor what is accepted as contemporary science but what is actually recorded in the Bible which forms the basis of the Christians faith, for Christ's teachings are recorded nowhere else. That Christ taught that the account was literal, you have as yet provided no proof to the contrary, thes ...[text shortened]... who do not accept it have deviated from what Christ taught, good luck with trying to refute it.
A false thing cannot be true only because Jesus said something about it. The theory of a global flooding is false. Nothing can get it right, not even if the Pope himslf says it.

F

Moves
03 Dec 09

'what Jesus taught in total is not important',????? why thank you for establishing what those who are plastic Christians have been saying for years, yes, 'we shall dismiss the teachings of Christ and establish our own', thankyou Fabian, i could not have wished for better!
'what Jesus taught in total is not important', perhaps I didn't use the proper English here. I say, there are small details and there are a bigger picture. Try and see what's matter, and what does not matter what Jesus said.

Jesus didn't know much of the flooding, he knew what was written earlier, nothing more, but not what is possible or not. A global flooding is impossible as it was written.

No evidence or observation shows about a global flooding during the history of man. Only the scripture tells about it in detail, and that's all. And even this story shows a lot of impossible things.

rc

Moves
03 Dec 09

Originally posted by FabianFnas
A false thing cannot be true only because Jesus said something about it. The theory of a global flooding is false. Nothing can get it right, not even if the Pope himslf says it.
we are not talking about whether it is true, false, scientifically established,, accepted or anything else, we are talking of whether the recorded teachings of Christ state that the flood was a literal account. then we can get on with the other stuff!

rc

Moves
03 Dec 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
Not really. I am saying that in the wording you quoted it is far from clear that he thought the Noah account was literal. I certainly doubt that he intended to make a claim either way.
People frequently use famous stories as examples whether those famous stories are historical or fictional. For example I might quote from "The Lord of the Rings" when I am ...[text shortened]... that only a very small fraction of Christians actually believe the Noah story to be factual.
As I have shown, clearly they are not Christians, for they have deviated from what Christ actually taught, secondly, you shall explain, why, with reference, Christ, Paul, and Peter taught that the flood was anything but a literal happening. You see Whitey simply stating your opinion, without any reasoning, is not enough.

here are the verses again.

(Matthew 24:36-42) “Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father. For just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the Son of man will be. For as they were in those days before the flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark; and they took no note until the flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be.

(Hebrews 11:7) 7 By faith Noah, after being given divine warning of things not yet beheld, showed godly fear and constructed an ark for the saving of his household; and through this [faith] he condemned the world, and he became an heir of the righteousness that is according to faith.

(2 Peter 2:5) . . .he did not hold back from punishing an ancient world, but kept Noah, a preacher of righteousness, safe with seven others when he brought a deluge upon a world of ungodly people;

let us see how you may establish anything other than a literal interpretation of these verses, good luck, you'll need it!

F

Moves
03 Dec 09

we are not talking about whether it is true, false, scientifically established,, accepted or anything else, we are talking of whether the recorded teachings of Christ state that the flood was a literal account. then we can get on with the other stuff!
If he said the global flooding as written in Genisis was a literal account, then he was wrong, dead wrong.
Let's go on with the other stuff.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
03 Dec 09

If he said the global flooding as written in Genisis was a literal account, then he was wrong, dead wrong.
Who cares about your opinion? That's all it is right?

F

Moves
03 Dec 09

Originally posted by galveston75
Who cares about your opinion? That's all it is right?
Who cares about yours? Who cares about anything? Who cares about who's caring about what?

As long I get a question, I think that my opinion cares for the one asking. That's all I care for.

rc

Moves
03 Dec 09
1 edit

we shall get on with the other stuff when this important point is addressed in honesty and integrity, what did Christ teach? that is correct Fabian, that the flood was a literal event! Why it should be so difficult for you people to admit this, even when you are not Christian, i do not know for you do not believe it anyway.

rc

Moves
03 Dec 09
1 edit

Who cares about yours? Who cares about anything? Who cares about who's caring about what?

As long I get a question, I think that my opinion cares for the one asking. That's all I care for.
i care for your opinion, that is why i appealed to you as an objective and impersonal adjudicator, for you, by not accepting it, would have no problem in evaluating it from a non Christian standpoint. i.e. as someone with no axe to grind. But you let me down, never the less, your opinion is as valid as anyone else's, except Gods.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
03 Dec 09
1 edit

we shall get on with the other stuff when this important point is addressed in honesty and integrity, what did Christ teach? that is correct Fabian, that the flood was a literal event! Why it should be so difficult for you people to admit this, even when you are not Christian, i do not know for you do not believe it anyway.
I don't really care if Jesus taught that the flood was a literal event, because unless we invent a time machine and travel back to actually see him talking about it we'll never know.

What i want to read is your proof that there was a flood that deluged the world.

rc

Moves
03 Dec 09

Originally posted by Proper Knob
I don't really care if Jesus taught that the flood was a literal event, because unless we invent a time machine and travel back to actually see him talking about it we'll never know.

What i want to read is your proof that there was a flood that deluged the world.
i know its not important to you Noobster, but it is to us, for we are Christians and we should be interested in what Jesus taught, should we not?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
03 Dec 09

i know its not important to you Noobster, but it is to us, for we are Christians and we should be interested in what Jesus taught, should we not?
If you're Christian yes, but the issue for me is this. How can you be 100% certain that what is reported to be the teachings of Jesus, are in fact the actual teachings of Jesus? As i said in my post above you would have to invent a time machine, go back and see with your own eyes, and also learn Aramaic otherwise you wouldn't know what he was banging on about.

The story of Noah's Ark with all the animals in the world paired up and put on it for however long the flood lasted is just ridiculous. For starters it would have to be one massive boat, and just think of the ramifications of having crocodiles, gazelles, tigers, elephants, hippos, etc etc on one boat. Absurd.

Secondly where did all the water come from? To cover all the mountains with Everest at 8.8km tall.............that's a lot of water. And then where did it go.

I can't see it happening Rob.

rc

Moves
03 Dec 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
If you're Christian yes, but the issue for me is this. How can you be 100% certain that what is reported to be the teachings of Jesus, are in fact the actual teachings of Jesus? As i said in my post above you would have to invent a time machine, go back and see with your own eyes, and also learn Aramaic otherwise you wouldn't know what he was banging on ..........that's a lot of water. And then where did it go.

I can't see it happening Rob.
how big do you think the dimensions of the arc were Noobster? they are given in the Bible. also how long did it take Noah to construct the arc, him and his sons, this is also given in the Bible.

R

The Smoke

Moves
03 Dec 09