No wonder they protect pedophile priests

No wonder they protect pedophile priests

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
14 May 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
oh i understand the difference, the problem is, is that you have not produced any evidence for your claim other than an appeal to popular opinion, have you?
argumentum ad populum

"is a fallacious argument that concludes a proposition to be true because many or most people believe it. In other words, the basic idea of the argument is: "If many believe so, it is so."

what argument? what belief?

rc

Moves
14 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by stellspalfie
argumentum ad populum

"is a fallacious argument that concludes a proposition to be true because many or most people believe it. In other words, the basic idea of the argument is: "If many believe so, it is so."

what argument? what belief?
Sigh, has it really come to this, why do i bother,

the argument that you are making that oral sex is normal. The belief that because most people engage in it (you provided statistics for your bandwagon argument) that its normal.

Moves
14 May 13

Sigh, has it really come to this, why do i bother,

the argument that you are making that oral sex is normal.
no, does everything need spelling out to you.

it is the norm to preform oral sex. this is not an argument it is a statistical fact.

Moves
14 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Is kissing normal?
bump for robbie aka 'the deviant'

rc

Moves
14 May 13

no, does everything need spelling out to you.

it is the norm to preform oral sex. this is not an argument it is a statistical fact.
Sure its a statistical fact, so is, fifty million Elvis fans can't be wrong.

rc

Moves
14 May 13
1 edit

bump for robbie aka 'the deviant'
sigh,

its not an abstract concept, i have stated that already, it needs a tangent, a point of reference. Kissing may or may not be considered normal or appropriate under certain circumstances, none of which you have mentioned.

now stated for the second time.

Moves
14 May 13

Sure its a statistical fact, so is, fifty million Elvis fans can't be wrong.
so if it is normal, then by default it is abnormal not to do it.

sorry i dont get the elvis thing.

Moves
14 May 13

sigh,

its not an abstract concept, i have stated that already, it needs a tangent, a point of reference. Kissing may or may not be considered normal or appropriate under certain circumstances, none of which you have mentioned.

now stated for the second time.
is that your way of saying it depends on the context.

rc

Moves
14 May 13

so if it is normal, then by default it is abnormal not to do it.

sorry i dont get the elvis thing.
will someone please explain to stellpalfie why his argument is fallacious. I have not stated that its normal, you have provided no valid reason other than an appeal to popular opinion that it should be considered normal. Because fifty million persons engage in oral sex means that its normal, is a fallacious argument, its simply an appeal to popular opinion.

rc

Moves
14 May 13

is that your way of saying it depends on the context.
yes.

Moves
14 May 13

will someone please explain to stellpalfie why his argument is fallacious. I have not stated that its normal, you have provided no valid reason other than an appeal to popular opinion that it should be considered normal. Because fifty million persons engage in oral sex means that its normal, is a fallacious argument, its simply an appeal to popular opinion.
"you have provided no valid reason other than an appeal to popular opinion"

honestly what goes on in your head. i have not stated it is an opinion. it is a physical fact. 90% of people physically preform oral sex, regardless if they think it is good or bad. they do it, most people do it. it is therefore the norm to preform oral sex.

if you isolated a bunch of j.w's you could say that within that group it is the norm not to preform oral sex. but when we add the rest of society it becomes abnormal. get it? its not tricky?

Because fifty million persons engage in oral sex means that its normal, is a fallacious argument, its simply an appeal to popular opinion.

50 million is irrelevant. when talking about a sociological issue the word normal is used in the same context as the average. i have discussed nothing but statistics. not personal opinions.

Moves
14 May 13

yes.
okay.

i kiss my wife on the lips is that normal?

rc

Moves
14 May 13

"you have provided no valid reason other than an appeal to popular opinion"

honestly what goes on in your head. i have not stated it is an opinion. it is a physical fact. 90% of people physically preform oral sex, regardless if they think it is good or bad. they do it, most people do it. it is therefore the norm to preform oral sex.

if you isolat ...[text shortened]... same context as the average. i have discussed nothing but statistics. not personal opinions.
slaps forehead repeatedly,

no one is disputing your claim that many people engage in it, what i am disputing is the claim that because many people engage in the practice then the practice should be considered normal.

rc

Moves
14 May 13

okay.

i kiss my wife on the lips is that normal?
It depends.

Moves
14 May 13

It depends.
okay, we are in private in bed and she is consenting.