New Testament

New Testament

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
03 Dec 12
1 edit

Originally posted by galveston75
You just don't seem to get it do you? Wow!

Again dude ******************************** I have NOTHING to say to you, ever.
It almost seems as if you feel Proverbs 30:6 does not apply to you. If I am wrong then feel free to explain. Judging from your reaction to this line of questioning, I am perhaps getting a wee bit too close to the uncomfortable truth for your liking - it would explain your repeated streams of asterisks. 😵

If a Christian disagrees with you about what you "added" to the Adam and Eve story, are they - in your view - "wrong"? What happens if they also claim they have "listened to God" just like you?

F

Moves
03 Dec 12

Originally posted by galveston75
As I said the Bible does not expound on these specific things. I'm not adding anything to the Bible but simply going from what the bible itself says.
I suppose this comment of yours gets to the heart of the issue you've been dodging. On what authority do you declare other Christians "wrong" for disagreeing with you when you take it upon yourself to create an explanation for something that the Bible does not explain or does not explicitly mention? On the other thread, with regard to you "adding" stuff to the Bible (about the League of Nations), you justified it by saying "It isn't mentioned so ones wanting to truly know would ask God and be willing to listen." But this raises the question: if another Christian claims to have asked God and has been willing to listen and has come up with an "answer" that they "truly know", but it contradicts yours, where does that leave your claims? Does it make you "wrong"?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
03 Dec 12
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
This is the wisest course of action, he manages to turn every single thread into a
personal attack and has to my knowledge never offered anything of spiritual
significance? One must ask the question why is that? It appears that the entire
summation of his spirituality is to humiliate other users although what satisfaction he
derives form thi ...[text shortened]... reat time since, its like a kind of relief.
People always remember the way we make them feel.
I disagree, i think this is an interesting discussion. Proverbs 30:6 quite clearly states that you shouldn't 'add to His words', yet when Galveston was quoting Revelation 13:11-15 in another thread he was clearly and explicitly adding his own words to the scripture.

Why is he adding his own words to scripture when the Bible quite clearly states that he shouldn't?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
03 Dec 12

Originally posted by boonon
Good thoughts but pure speculation. I'm not saying I disagree totally but when we add to the written word we are opening up a large can of worms.

[b]Do not add to His words, Lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar. (Proverbs 30:6 NKJV)
[/b]
I think there is a huge difference between discussing the Bible on an internet forum and giving opinions and actually "adding to His words", i.e. misrepresenting what is there.

We have opinions, we're human. Get over it.

rc

Moves
03 Dec 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
I disagree, i think this is an interesting discussion. Proverbs 30:6 quite clearly states that you shouldn't 'add to His words', yet when Galveston was quoting Revelation 13:11-15 in another thread he was clearly and explicitly adding his own words to the scripture.

Why is he adding his own words to scripture when the Bible quite clearly states that he shouldn't?
see suziannes post

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
03 Dec 12

Are you suggesting we just shut down this whole forum then, and all go home?

Here's a few clues for you:

1. This is an internet forum.

2. We're human, and therefore have opinions.

3. A basic function of internet forums is to present our opinions.

4. The Bible is the Bible. We know what is there. We can even look up what is there. People do not often get away with actually trying to misrepresent the Word of God. Especially not on an internet forum, where there is much "one-upmanship" going on.

5. So therefore, attempts to shut down the opinions of Christians with Proverbs 30:6 don't quite work.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
03 Dec 12

Originally posted by Suzianne
Are you suggesting we just shut down this whole forum then, and all go home?

Here's a few clues for you:

1. This is an internet forum.

2. We're human, and therefore have opinions.

3. A basic function of internet forums is to present our opinions.

4. The Bible is the Bible. We know what is there. We can even look up what is there. People do ...[text shortened]... fore, attempts to shut down the opinions of Christians with Proverbs 30:6 don't quite work.
😴

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
03 Dec 12

see suziannes post
There is a big difference between stating an opinion ie. i think Revelation 13:11-15 could mean this and stating Revelation 13:11-15 means this and everyone who disagrees with me is wrong.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
03 Dec 12
1 edit

There is a big difference between stating an opinion ie. i think Revelation 13:11-15 could mean this and stating Revelation 13:11-15 means this and everyone who disagrees with me is wrong.
Is there really a big difference in "I think this" and "therefore if you think differently, I think you are wrong"? I mean one kind of follows the other.

Opinions are opinions. We all have them. Not all of them are correct. I think we all get this.

Maybe he could have more tact with his opinions. But it seems that JWs are quite comfortable in presenting their opinions as facts.

Just my opinion, of course.

F

Moves
03 Dec 12
1 edit

Maybe he could have more tact with his opinions. But it seems that JWs are quite comfortable in presenting their opinions as facts.
An interpretation is one thing but claiming you "truly know" that those who disagree with you are wrong because - you claim - God "answered" a specific inquiry, is surely excessive, yes?

As I said above, galveston75's odd and apparently "divinely inspired" [or so he seems to be claiming] insistence that he is "right" and others are "wrong" raises the question: if another Christian also claims to have asked God and has also been willing to listen and has also come up with an "answer" that they "truly know", but it contradicts his, where does that leave his claims? Does it make him "wrong"? Where does that leave his claims about personally getting the "answer" from God?

rc

Moves
03 Dec 12

have you provided an alternative explanation which proves that he is wrong? no? then
until you subject his claims to falsification, they stand and you have no more say in
whether they are right or they are wrong until you are able to do so.

Moves
03 Dec 12

I think there is a huge difference between discussing the Bible on an internet forum and giving opinions and actually "adding to His words", i.e. misrepresenting what is there.

We have opinions, we're human. Get over it.
Are you serious? I was in no way rebuking Galveston, merely pointing out his thoughts were not actually doctrine. I think that Galveston and I have a good 'forum' relationship. You have many 'opinions' that I disagree with and I have never called you out on them. I accept your right to have your opinions.

God bless

F

Moves
03 Dec 12

have you provided an alternative explanation which proves that he is wrong? no? then
until you subject his claims to falsification, they stand and you have no more say in
In what way has galveston75 proved that he is "right" about, say, the League of Nations being "described" in Revelation 13:11-15?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
03 Dec 12
1 edit

Your hilarious, when have you ever had to subject claims to falsification before you expressed an opinion on something? Anyhow, here's a quick alternative explanation -

Then I saw another beast rising out of the earth. It had two horns ( Germany & France ) like a lamb and it spoke like a dragon. 12 It exercises all the authority of the first beast ( European Economic Community )in its presence, and makes the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast, whose mortal wound was healed. ( It became the European Union )

Am i allowed to state my opinion now?

F

Moves
03 Dec 12
1 edit

Your hilarious, when have you ever had to subject claims to falsification before you expressed an opinion on something? Anyhow, here's a quick alternative explanation -
Here's another one:

Then I saw another beast [an actual one] rising out of the earth. It had two horns (real ones) like a lamb and it spoke like a dragon [literally]. It exercises all the authority of the first beast (because of its similar beastly authority) in its presence, and makes the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast, whose mortal wound was healed. (It will happen just like this says).

According to robbie, unless he subjects this - or your - claim to whatever he reckons "falsification" is, it "stands".