Mississippi passes religious 'Freedom' bill:

Mississippi passes religious 'Freedom' bill:

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Apr 16

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/05/us/mississippi-governor-signs-religious-freedom-bill/index.html?adkey=bn

Gives the legal right for people to refuse to serve or service LGBT people, like weddings, funerals, boy scouts, whatever.

Nothing to do with religion, everything to do with discrimination.

So what else is new in Mississippi? same ole same ole.

Cape Town

Moves
05 Apr 16

Originally posted by sonhouse
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/05/us/mississippi-governor-signs-religious-freedom-bill/index.html?adkey=bn

Gives the legal right for people to refuse to serve or service LGBT people, like weddings, funerals, boy scouts, whatever.

Reminds me of a thread sonship once started where he argued that allowing gay marriage normalized gay relationships thus resulting in negative feedback to those that were bigoted about gay relationships and thus impacted his freedom to be bigoted. He therefore argued that since his freedoms were being affected, gay marriage should not be allowed.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Apr 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
Reminds me of a thread sonship once started where he argued that allowing gay marriage normalized gay relationships thus resulting in negative feedback to those that were bigoted about gay relationships and thus impacted his freedom to be bigoted. He therefore argued that since his freedoms were being affected, gay marriage should not be allowed.
That's right, can't let people get in the way of bigotronics.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
05 Apr 16
2 edits

Yes. What's next? Refusing service at lunch counters to black people?

Oh, wait, we went through this once.

This isn't "religious freedom", and I resent them trying to make this have anything at all to do with religion. It is "discrimination freedom". Trying to make it "okay" to be a bigot.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Apr 16

Originally posted by Suzianne

This isn't "religious freedom", and I resent them trying to make this have anything at all to do with religion. It is "discrimination freedom". Trying to make it "okay" to be a bigot.
Pretty much. You gay couples, don't expect to get married HERE, you are stepping on my right to be a bigot. Where they really belong: the Bigotree, out on a far limb.....

rc

Moves
05 Apr 16
3 edits

You are discriminating against people exercising their moral and religious beliefs if you do not allow them to exercise their consciences in harmony with those religious beliefs. No one should be compelled to act against the dictates of conscience.

rc

Moves
05 Apr 16

yes and you still cannot tell the difference between something that is immutable and something that is not.

Moves
05 Apr 16

the shops who dont turn away lgbt patrons will soon be pressured by the threat of boycotts from local religious right communities.

rc

Moves
05 Apr 16

Originally posted by stellspalfie
the shops who dont turn away lgbt patrons will soon be pressured by the threat of boycotts from local religious right communities.
selling a cream cake to someone that is gay is vastly different from being coerced to issue them with a marriage license, yah think!

Moves
05 Apr 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
You are discriminating against people exercising their moral and religious beliefs if you do not allow them to exercise their consciences in harmony with those religious beliefs. No one should be compelled to act against the dictates of conscience.
Surely you can see this can't and doesn't work in a heterogeneous society where the dictates of conscience come into conflict with one another.

rc

Moves
05 Apr 16

Originally posted by JS357
Surely you can see this can't and doesn't work in a heterogeneous society where the dictates of conscience come into conflict with one another.
Christians should not be discriminated against nor compelled to act against their beliefs nor the the dictates of their conscience. If people who practice homosexuality want to get married then they are free to find someone to do so. Provision should simply be made to allow those who do not wish to provide goods or services which transgress their religious beliefs and conscience to do so without fear of prosecution. So no I don't see how this can't and doesn't work in a heterogeneous society.

Moves
05 Apr 16

selling a cream cake to someone that is gay is vastly different from being coerced to issue them with a marriage license, yah think!
jumping the gun robbie, putting words in my mouth.

Cape Town

Moves
05 Apr 16

Do you support the right of racists who believe their racism is religiously inspired to not serve black people in their shops?
Hint: this is a yes or no answer.

rc

Moves
05 Apr 16
1 edit

Originally posted by stellspalfie
jumping the gun robbie, putting words in my mouth.
Just giving you a reality check young Palfie

Moves
05 Apr 16

Just giving you a reality check young Palfie
funny because you dont normally like putting things in peoples mouths.