'Missing Link' fossil discovered

'Missing Link' fossil discovered

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
27 Apr 08

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7339508.stm

A window into the past, showing a snake with little hind legs, apparently...

Or it could be part of a fake?

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
27 Apr 08

Originally posted by snowinscotland

Looks like God planted it to test our faith!

S

Moves
27 Apr 08

Another nail in the coffin of Creationism.

Moves
27 Apr 08

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
27 Apr 08

How can we know? It could easily be a fake. I can't help thinking that it all looks like straining at a gnat.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
27 Apr 08

Now here's where the Creationist position shows it's weakness. The standard comment is -

"Well what about the missing link between this legged snake and modern snakes? Between this legged snake and lizards?"

They never stop asking for MORE missing links. You find a thousand "missing links" and they demand two thousand.

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
27 Apr 08

The post that was quoted here has been removed
ghe ghe.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
28 Apr 08

Originally posted by josephw
How can we know? It could easily be a fake. I can't help thinking that it all looks like straining at a gnat.
It could be, and I expect it to be subject to scientific scrutiny. And, if it is a fake, I expect it to
be revealed as such. You see, when a scientist promotes bad claims, the scientific community
analyzes its veracity, and if it is found to be suspect they report it.

Now, let's assume it's not a fake. What will this tell you about the theory of evolution?

Nemesio

s

Moves
28 Apr 08

Originally posted by josephw
It's just (assuming it's ok) a snake with legs. Thing is, we already have snakes with legs, well sort of. slow worms.

It's just that it doesn't look like we have had this sort of snake before...

j

Moves
28 Apr 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Squelchbelch
Another nail in the coffin of Creationism.
You mean supposed little hind legs on the the rear of a snake proves that "In the beginning God [did NOT] create the heavens and the earth?"

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
29 Apr 08

Originally posted by jaywill
You mean supposed little hind legs on the the rear of a snake proves that [b]"In the beginning God [did NOT] create the heavens and the earth?" [/b]
No, but it does suggest a common ancestor with whales, birds, etc, which does not seem compatible with Genesis 1:21.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
29 Apr 08

Originally posted by jaywill
You mean supposed little hind legs on the the rear of a snake proves that [b]"In the beginning God [did NOT] create the heavens and the earth?" [/b]
No, it provides another empirical datum contradicting a literal reading of the disparate Genesis
myths.

Nemesio

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 Apr 08

Originally posted by Nemesio
It could be, and I expect it to be subject to scientific scrutiny. And, if it is a fake, I expect it to
be revealed as such. You see, when a scientist promotes bad claims, the scientific community
analyzes its veracity, and if it is found to be suspect they report it.

Now, let's assume it's not a fake. What will this tell you about the theory of evolution?

Nemesio
What that would prove to creationists is there is a conspiracy against creationism.

Cape Town

Moves
29 Apr 08

There are living examples of 'snakes' with legs. Lizards for example have all four. There are also lizards that move like snakes and lizards with very stunted legs. I believe pythons have little claws instead of hind legs.

Without independent study, one cant really rule that out. However, there really is no incentive to fake something like that. There is really no benefit to be gained by faking something like that and if the faker is discovered he will get discredited.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
01 May 08

Originally posted by twhitehead
There are living examples of 'snakes' with legs. Lizards for example have all four. There are also lizards that move like snakes and lizards with very stunted legs. I believe pythons have little claws instead of hind legs.

[b]Or it could be part of a fake?

Without independent study, one cant really rule that out. However, there really is no incent ...[text shortened]... gained by faking something like that and if the faker is discovered he will get discredited.[/b]
I wonder how they decided it was a snake and not a lizard (i.e. suborder serpentes).