Matthew 27:52–53

Matthew 27:52–53

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Feb 22

@fmf said
Your theist faith ~ according to your beliefs ~ rewards you with immortality for having that faith, so you are making a massive aspirational leap based on your conjecture about supernatural things.

Meanwhile, my conjecture about supernatural things translates into my agnosticism and my perception that death is the end, so I am making NO massive aspirational leap and, unlike yo ...[text shortened]... pes on - a religious package of answers and promises.

What do you think I am pinning my hopes on?
Everything and any reason that allows you to look at reality and allows you to judge somethings true and others false.

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
Everything and any reason that allows you to look at reality and allows you to judge somethings true and others false.
You honestly think I am pinning my hopes on you being wrong about supernatural things?

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
The specific items under discussion are true or not, the way we handle how we look at them we do so by those things we trust, trusting someone or something is putting faith in them.
Do you really believe that your faith - which tells you that you are immortal - somehow manoeuvers me into having to put my "trust" in me NOT being immortal?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Feb 22
2 edits

@FMF

I sincerely believe that the Bible's content is mythology. I don't subscribe to the beliefs Christians have about the identity and significance of Jesus' life because I simply do not believe that the Bible is a credible source about supernatural things. That's the "primary reason".

And you are aware that there are entire books of the Bible in which nothing particularly supernatural occurs? Esther, Ruth, Nehamiah, Ezra, come to mind as candidates.

The books pertaining to the history of the Jews returning from Babylonian captivity are to my recollection absent of miraculous events. There is just a lot of faithfulness and hard work on the part of the remnant of Jews returning to their inheritance in Canaan.

Are you more inclined to regard these books as less mythological ?

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@sonship said
The books pertaining to the history of the Jews returning from Babylonian captivity are to my recollection absent of miraculous events. There is just a lot of faithfulness and hard work on the part of the remnant of Jews returning to their inheritance in Canaan.
So?

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@sonship said
Are you more inclined to regard these books as less mythological ?
I am not especially interested in ancient Hebrew folklore.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Feb 22

@FMF

That is Yes you are inclined to regard them as less mythological or No you are not?
That is what I asked.

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@sonship said
@FMF

That is Yes you are inclined to regard them as less mythological or No you are not?
That is what I asked.
You can detach the "less mythological" parts from the Jesus story or you can link them to the Jesus story. Up to you. It doesn't matter to me.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Feb 22
3 edits

@FMF

You seem to have trouble answering Yes or No without second guessing what might follow.

So I am left not knowing what your real answer would be.
Nevermind, I tried.

When you say you are an agnostic atheist, I'll tell what that sounds like to me.
It sounds like you want the prestiege of being labelled an atheist but also a qualifying exit from debate just in case your aguments for God's nonexistence don't work.

Sounds like you want the CLOUT of being identified as denying God exists but the a backup EXIT stradegy if your truth claim of no God can be shown as weak logically.

What harm is it in just saying " I'm an agnostic?"

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Feb 22

@fmf said
You honestly think I am pinning my hopes on you being wrong about supernatural things?
That is not what I said, you have faith it is what you view the world with, it is all of the assumptions you have that somethings are true and others not. Faith is simply what we trust in, what we rely on, we trust scales to give correct readings for what we are measuring so when looking for those answers its what we go to. We reject things that we think are flawed towards that end.

Why would you care what my hopes are one way or another?

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@sonship said
You seem to have trouble answering Yes or No without second guessing what might follow.

So I am left not knowing what your real answer would be.
I am not especially interested in ancient Hebrew folklore. So it doesn't matter to me if book X is more mythological or less mythological than book Y.

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
Why would you care what my hopes are one way or another?
Because it's a debate and discussion forum.

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@sonship said
When you say you are an agnostic atheist, I'll tell what that sounds like to me. It sounds like you want the prestiege of being labelled an atheist but also a qualifying exit from debate just in case your aguments for God's nonexistence don't work.
Just google "agnostic atheist" and the definition that comes up encapsulates its meaning succinctly and well. There is nothing about "prestige" or "arguments that don't work [for you]". Nothing like that at all.

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@sonship said
Sounds like you want the CLOUT of being identified as denying God exists but the a backup EXIT stradegy if your truth claim of no God can be shown as weak logically.
I have never claimed there is no God. You have repeated this dozens of times. And I have corrected you dozens of times.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Feb 22

@fmf said
I am not especially interested in ancient Hebrew folklore. So it doesn't matter to me if book X is more mythological or less mythological than book Y.
I thought you were especially interested. You said

I sincerely believe that the Bible's content is mythology. I don't subscribe to the beliefs Christians have about the identity and significance of Jesus' life because I simply do not believe that the Bible is a credible source about supernatural things. That's the "primary reason".

Are you trying to avoid saying part of the Bible's content is not mythological?

So you instead opt for saying "Well I don't care if there is some content that is mythological and some content that is not."

Rather than your primary reason being mythological content of the Bible it appears that the Bible whatever content, is your reason for not believing in God.