Matthew 27:52–53

Matthew 27:52–53

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Feb 22

@fmf said
Decades later after Matthew was written?
I don’t know. I’ve only done a cursory look into it.

But you’re again viewing an ancient miraculous event through the prism of modern communications.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
01 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
The Holy Bible contains *numerous* examples of Jesus Christ referencing and quoting from the Old Testament. Here’s just one example.
Oh yes, you are correct. I understand Joseph Holy Printers Limited were churning out bible books as well, and there was a Scribes App for Android that had all the bible writings for people to access.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
01 Feb 22

@fmf said
"They went into the holy city and appeared to many".

Where are the eyewitness accounts of at least some of these "many"?
It would have been a story ending claim to say this took place when those who lived through that time then could say no that didn’t occur, not much different than Jesus’ empty tomb.

Having someone appear occurs several times in scripture from angels, the Lord, and other people. It isn’t like they came back to life. Lazarus was more than likely still around at that time. So there was a resurrection that was going to end in another death. I believe where Lazarus is buried it is written twice dead.

F

Moves
01 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
I don’t know. I’ve only done a cursory look into it.
What you said is either true or it's false.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Feb 22

@rajk999 said
Oh yes, you are correct. I understand Joseph Holy Printers Limited were churning out bible books as well, and there was a Scribes App for Android that had all the bible writings for people to access.
What are you talking about?

People had access to the Old Testament back then. What do you think they read in the synagogues?

But don’t ever admit you’re wrong lol.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Feb 22

@fmf said
What you said is either true or it's false.
Like I said I’ve haven’t sufficiently looked into it.

F

Moves
01 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
It would have been a story ending claim to say this took place when those who lived through that time then could say no that didn’t occur, not much different than Jesus’ empty tomb.

Having someone appear occurs several times in scripture from angels, the Lord, and other people. It isn’t like they came back to life. Lazarus was more than likely still around at that time. ...[text shortened]... that was going to end in another death. I believe where Lazarus is buried it is written twice dead.
So, your answer to "Where are the eyewitness accounts of at least some of these "many"?" is what? There are some? Or there aren't any?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
01 Feb 22
1 edit

@pb1022 said
What’s bizarre about it?
It seems bizarre to me, but maybe that's because you're aware of some sort of evidence of which I am ignorant. What are your grounds for this belief which seems bizarre to me?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
01 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
What are you talking about?

People had access to the Old Testament back then. What do you think they read in the synagogues?

But don’t ever admit you’re wrong lol.
You are really a dunce of immense proportions. Around 95% of the population in the time of Christ was ILLITERATE.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Feb 22

@avalanchethecat said
It seems bizarre to me, but maybe that's because you're aware of some sort of evidence of which I am ignorant. What are your grounds for this belief which seems bizarre to me?
Why does it seem bizarre to you?

You don’t think the supernatural manifested itself back then? The supernatural manifests itself today!

Or do you think all instances of paranormal activity have naturalistic explanations?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
01 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
Why does it seem bizarre to you?

You don’t think the supernatural manifested itself back then? The supernatural manifests itself today!

Or do you think all instances of paranormal activity have naturalistic explanations?
I'm not arguing that supernatural events don't take place - we'll put that one aside for now - I'm asking what are your grounds for believing that "...the supernatural manifested itself much more often back then...".

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Feb 22

@rajk999 said
You are really a dunce of immense proportions. Around 95% of the population in the time of Christ was ILLITERATE.
And there you go with the nasty insults.

I used to think your nasty insults were due to you being a hateful person.

But I’ve more recently come to believe your nasty insults are a protection mechanism you employ to protect your false doctrine and the false front you present of being an authority on the Holy Bible.

Whenever someone starts exposing your false doctrine for the rubbish it is and starts exposing you for the Biblically simple-minded and unlearned person you are, you start attacking them with nasty insults.

So I guess, according to you, who laughably claimed the Bible didn’t exist at the time of the early church, 95% of people who went to services in synagogues back then were illiterate 🙄

You’ll go to any length to protect your false doctrine and your laughable view of yourself as an authority on the Bible.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Feb 22

@avalanchethecat said
I'm not arguing that supernatural events don't take place - we'll put that one aside for now - I'm asking what are your grounds for believing that "...the supernatural manifested itself much more often back then...".
Based on accounts in the Gospels.

And yes, I believe the Gospels are reliable and trustworthy.

But other sources exist, I’m sure, that document supernatural events - I know, for example, that the miracles Jesus Christ performed were referenced in ancient non-Biblical writings.

F

Moves
01 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
I know, for example, that the miracles Jesus Christ performed were referenced in ancient non-Biblical writings.
You mean writings that cited the Bible decades and centuries later?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
01 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
Based on accounts in the Gospels.

And yes, I believe the Gospels are reliable and trustworthy.

But other sources exist, I’m sure, that document supernatural events - I know, for example, that the miracles Jesus Christ performed were referenced in ancient non-Biblical writings.
That's entirely circular reasoning though, as you make the claim to back up an account of a supernatural event detailed in the same scripture.

"... I believe the Gospels are reliable and trustworthy."

You are, of course, entirely free to hold this belief, but you must be aware that you do so without a firm evidential basis.