Let's review 'intolerance'

Let's review 'intolerance'

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
15 Mar 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Darfius
Jesus sponsored what the Apostles wrote, so I'm not twisting anything. You're twisting Jesus into a lovable, "hey, feel free to disgrace my name everyday and I'll let everyone in, come on in Hitler, the clouds are fine" kind of Jesus. ...[text shortened]... sin and rewards faithfulness. Ya know, like the Word of God says.
Jesus recognized the difference between government policy and individual volition .
You must get that pass god laws idea from the OT.
Besides trying to correct false teaching in the religion, Christ's only concern was with the individual.

Or, he would have sent the entire Roman Empire straight to hell.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
15 Mar 05
2 edits

Originally posted by Nyxie
That last part seems to be a twisting of what I have said. Noone lately has said that blacks or whites were not equal, and I'd appreciate it if you did'nt try to impose that on me. I am disgusted by any form of bigotry. I believe all people ...[text shortened]... being biased because I defend those I see being attacked.

Nyxie
As far as I'm concern you said it all with,
if your a guy and you want..., or if your a girl and you want too....

The point is that is what you are, if you are white or black, male or
female is what it is. You have to do something to become gay as
you seem to be defining it.

I was not trying to imply you had anything against blacks or whites,
I simply pointed out there is a difference between things that people
are born to, and then things that people fall into through some type
of action or desire they cultivate.

How do you see women being attacked? I'll leave our disagreement
about what makes a person gay alone unless you want to continue
it.
Kelly

p

Ann Arbor, MI

Moves
16 Mar 05

Originally posted by KellyJay
Tell me, who does not attempt to make what they believe is wrong
a law or rule? It is either something everyone does or it isn't, the
complaint against people imposing their views of right and wrong
should tell you that if it is done by all fine, if you are going to start
filtering out who gets to say what is or isn't able to make their
thoughts and ...[text shortened]... ing a minority group without the
same power of every other citizen within the country.
Kelly
I'm not sure this quite addresses your point, but I was talking about laws based specifically on religious doctrine. When followers of Religion X try to make a law that everyone else has to obey -- and do so mainly *because* it is a tenet of their religion and for little other reason -- then we start drifting towards theocracy, which I think is a very dangerous thing.

N
The eyes of truth

elsewhere

Moves
16 Mar 05

As far as I'm concern you said it all with,
if your a guy and you want..., or if your a girl and you want too....

The point is that is what you are, if you are white or black, male or
female is what it is. You have to do something to become gay as
you seem to be defining it.

I was not trying to imply you had anything against blacks or whites,
I s ...[text shortened]... our disagreement
about what makes a person gay alone unless you want to continue
it.
Kelly
I see a minority being set apart because they are different. You can rationalize this and say people choose to be gay, and therefore it's ok to look down on them. But I disagree with this stance. There is no doing something that makes you gay. You don't go out to a store and buy the shirt, there's no special club. If you're gay you're gay, believe it's a choice if you will, but don't expect other people to agree that someone would intentionally choose to be different.

Nyxie

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Mar 05

Tell me, who does not attempt to make what they believe is wrong
a law or rule? It is either something everyone does or it isn't, the
complaint against people imposing their views of right and wrong
should tell you that if it is done by all fine, if you are going to start
filtering out who gets to say what is or isn't able to make their
thoughts and ...[text shortened]... ing a minority group without the
same power of every other citizen within the country.
Kelly
Nobody tries to make everything they believe is wrong a law. For example, many people would think that it's wrong to insult your mother, to cheat on your girlfriend, to charge what the market will bear when a poor family can't afford it, to be lazy and not have a job...
but people don't try to make these things illegal.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
16 Mar 05

If you're gay you're gay, believe it's a choice if you will, but don't expect other people to agree that someone would intentionally choose to be different.
How about the cliques in most high schools? Kids love forming their own little groups based on their differences. Surely a 'gay' clique isn't much of a stretch.

N
The eyes of truth

elsewhere

Moves
16 Mar 05

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
How about the cliques in most high schools? Kids love forming their own little groups based on their differences. Surely a 'gay' clique isn't much of a stretch.
So being gay is a clique? Like preppie or jock?

Even if that were true, and I strongly argue that it is not, would you consider it ok to be bias towards a clique?

Nyxie

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
16 Mar 05

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Nobody tries to make everything they believe is wrong a law. For example, many people would think that it's wrong to insult your mother, to cheat on your girlfriend, to charge what the market will bear when a poor family can't afford it, to be lazy and not have a job...
I dunno: There used to be adultery laws, and there are currently anti-trust and price-fixing laws. There are prohibitions against slander; these might apply even if you talked smack about your own mother.

I know that not every religious tenet is being incorporated into human law, but it's more prevalent than you might realize...

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
16 Mar 05

So being gay is a clique? Like preppie or jock?

Even if that were true, and I strongly argue that it is not, would you consider it ok to be bias towards a clique?

Nyxie
I'm not saying all gays are part of a clique; I'm saying that there are potential paths to the lifestyle that involve choice.

I would show bias towards a clique if I felt it was acting wrongly. In the case of gays, even though I don't understand the lifestyle, I feel that it's their personal business and would not feel biased towards them.

N
The eyes of truth

elsewhere

Moves
16 Mar 05

I'm not saying all gays are part of a clique; I'm saying that there are potential paths to the lifestyle that involve choice.

I would show bias towards a clique if I felt it was acting wrongly. In the case of gays, even though I don't understand the lifestyle, I feel that it's their personal business and would not feel biased towards them.
I understand that, thank you. Like I can't figure out why anyone would limit themselves to one clique, I don't think I should be biased towards those that do.

Nyxie

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
16 Mar 05

I see a minority being set apart because they are different. You can rationalize this and say people choose to be gay, and therefore it's ok to look down on them. But I disagree with this stance. There is no doing something that makes you gay. You don't go out to a store and buy the shirt, there's no special club. If you're gay you're gay, believe it's a ...[text shortened]... t expect other people to agree that someone would intentionally choose to be different.

Nyxie
You can prove your point? You saying if your gay your gay is a
statement of fact based on...? I never said I looked down on anyone.
I said that I do not think of them as any different than I am, but what
separates them from me is their behavior nothing else.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
16 Mar 05

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Yea yes, your right not every little thing, but we do not forbid things
we think are all okay and good now do we? What people believe are
wrong actions they try to stop, one way or another.
Kelly

N
The eyes of truth

elsewhere

Moves
16 Mar 05

You can prove your point? You saying if your gay your gay is a
statement of fact based on...? I never said I looked down on anyone.
I said that I do not think of them as any different than I am, but what
separates them from me is their behavior nothing else.
Kelly
Who you are attracted to is not bahaviour. It is a part of who you are.

Let's say you're a guy and you're attracted to women, we would call you heterosexual. You have sex with a woman, is it this action that makes you heterosexual? Or were you this way before you had sex with her? If you stop having sex with women, are you no longer heterosexual?

Nyxie

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Mar 05

I dunno: There used to be adultery laws, and there are currently anti-trust and price-fixing laws. There are prohibitions against slander; these might apply even if you talked smack about your own mother.

I know that not every religious tenet is being incorporated into human law, but it's more prevalent than you might realize...
I think we're on the same side of this, BDP. I'm arguing that since nobody tries to legislate every single moral issue, there are some that shouldn't be legislated. I don't think your examples invalidate my point; for example, adulterly laws didn't apply to a girlfriend, they applied to a spouse.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Mar 05

Yea yes, your right not every little thing, but we do not forbid things
we think are all okay and good now do we? What people believe are
wrong actions they try to stop, one way or another.
Kelly
Sure. However, the methods that are appropriate to trying to stop one act one feels is wrong are different than the methods appropriate to another act. I think it's fine to try to persuade homosexuals to stop being gay; I don't think it's fine to imprison or fine them for making the choice to have sex with someone of the same gender.