1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 08:011 edit
    More than 138 people have been killed and more than 400 injured after coordinated bomb blasts hit a number of high-end hotels and churches across Sri Lanka on Sunday morning. - CNN

How does the principle of "Love your enemies"' ~ for those who subscribe to it as a moral imperative ~ deal with or withstand atrocities like the one in Sri Lanka this morning?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 09:16
    @fmf said
    More than 138 people have been killed and more than 400 injured after coordinated bomb blasts hit a number of high-end hotels and churches across Sri Lanka on Sunday morning. - CNN

How does the principle of "Love your enemies"' ~ for those who subscribe to it as a moral imperative ~ deal with or withstand atrocities like the one in Sri Lanka this morning?
    Love your enemies is a ridiculous notion.

But loving those you perceive as enemies
    is worth pursuing as is forgiveness.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 10:51
    @wolfgang59 said
    Love your enemies is a ridiculous notion.

But loving those you perceive as enemies
    is worth pursuing as is forgiveness.
    I think that Jesus meant love in the sense of not creating further animosity by returning the hatred. It also is in line with His earlier statement about the peacemakers and Solomons statement about a soft answer turning away wrath.

Plus contrary to many there is no reward for loving people who love you back but there is a promise of reward for showing love that is not returned.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 10:53
    @fmf said

All religions have this problem with extremism. Religion is really a curse of mankind. The greatest thing is brotherly love and charity. All who practice this will see God.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 10:58
    @rajk999 said
    All religions have this problem with extremism. Religion is really a curse of mankind. The greatest thing is brotherly love and charity. All who practice this will see God.
    So now you equate terrorism with religion? What is wrong with you?
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 11:20
    @suzianne said
    Religion creates terrorism. What is wrong with you?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 11:22
    @suzianne said
    How does your Christian principle of "Love your enemies"' deal with or withstand things like the atrocity in Sri Lanka this morning?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 11:51
    As a result of exploring this topic a joyful conclusion is to be arrived at at what point FMF?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 11:58
    @sonship said
    As a result of exploring this topic a joyful conclusion is to be arrived at at what point FMF?
    Exploring this topic belongs on a debate and discussion forum like this. How does "Love your enemies"' bear up in the face of atrocities like the one in the OP?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 12:161 edit
    @FMF

I see. Make an insulting jab to other posters and go back to business as usual (the procedure please).

Well, I may contribute. But first I want to examine how it has a more joyful content then say some of the threads I started:

Paul's Gospel is The Gospel
    Zecharia 14
    Does Death Mean Non-Existence
    Thanks For a Wise Servant of God
    Its EASY to understand ??
    A little comic relief
    Derek Prince on Effective Prayer
    The Eternal Son of God
    Calling Out Jesus in Revelation
    What OSAS Doesn't Mean
    The Structure of Romans
    Can Pity Ever [Be] Against God

To name a few threads I started. I'm considering what you have to offer here as why it should be considered more joyful subject matter.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 12:24
    @sonship said
    To name a few threads I started.
    I suggest you start a separate thread about how good your threads are.

Meanwhile, more than 200 dead in Colombo. How does "Love your enemy" fare in the face of this?
  12. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 12:33
    @fmf said
    I suggest you start a separate thread about how good your threads are.

Meanwhile, more than 200 dead in Colombo. How does "Love your enemy" fare in the face of this?
    Is the alternative, "An eye for an eye"?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 12:44
    @great-big-stees said
    Is the alternative, "An eye for an eye"?
    Maybe so. But as I understand it, "Love your enemy" superseded "An eye for an eye" when Christianity broke away from Judaism. Matthew 5:38-45. I am interested in how it works in practice.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 13:18
    @fmf said
    How does your Christian principle of "Love your enemies"' deal with or withstand things like the atrocity in Sri Lanka this morning?
    We are charged with praying for them and doing what we can to provide aid to the victims. In this case, being some 12,000 miles away means one way to help provide aid is to perhaps donate to operations on the ground like the International Red Cross.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 13:32
    @suzianne said
    We are charged with praying for them and doing what we can to provide aid to the victims. In this case, being some 12,000 miles away means one way to help provide aid is to perhaps donate to operations on the ground like the International Red Cross.
    Aid for the victims sounds good but the victims are not your enemies while the perpetrators of the atrocity presumably are. "Praying for them", then. What element of "love" would there be in such prayers?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree