1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Feb '23 09:43
    When I was younger I knew of Christians who would keep Sunday as the sabbath and were quite strict about it too. No work, no housework even, no shopping, no TV etc. However they would travel more than a sabbath’s day journey to get to church and seemed ignorant of the fact that Saturday was the Jewish sabbath anyway. Even at a young age I found it all quite odd.

In later years I realised that Jesus wasn’t a sabbath keeper and in fact even rewrote Mosaic law (verbally of course) and in later years still I abandoned the idea that any sort of religious dogma, creed and rules were somehow sacred. For me this has been liberating and enabled me to see new wisdom in the teachings of Jesus. I’ve also seen the latent spiritually hypocrisy which can creep into the attitudes and behaviours of some Christians who hang onto some, traditional precepts and teachings have been handed down in one form or another, either through family, church denomination or interpretations of the bible.

Any thoughts on this?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '23 12:36
    @divegeester said
    When I was younger I knew of Christians who would keep Sunday as the sabbath and were quite strict about it too. No work, no housework even, no shopping, no TV etc. However they would travel more than a sabbath’s day journey to get to church and seemed ignorant of the fact that Saturday was the Jewish sabbath anyway. Even at a young age I found it all quite odd.

In la ...[text shortened]... ither through family, church denomination or interpretations of the bible.

Any thoughts on this?
    When I was young I thought going to mass on Saturday evening was a case of slightly unworthy corner-cutting. Then, when I arrived in the town where I worked in Indonesia and realized how hot it got in the church on Sunday mornings, I chose to go in the much cooler Saturday evenings.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Feb '23 12:45
    @divegeester said

In la ...[text shortened]... ither through family, church denomination or interpretations of the bible.

Any thoughts on this?
    Its human nature. People do what is easy and shy away from what is difficult. Jesus addressed that and told them what must be done to get eternal life in the Kingdom of God. Its not, keeping the Sabbath, neither is it going to church, or long prayers or singing hymns or giving generously to the church. These are things churches promote, because it is what people like and what they believe makes them righteous.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Feb '23 12:46
    @divegeester said

Any thoughts on this?
    my parents sent me to sunday school.....for about a fortnight.the next time I went to church was my wedding day...a really posh catholic church never been in a church since.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '23 07:08
    @divegeester said

Any thoughts on this?
    I wonder why 3 people chose to thumb down this post but not reply. Obviously hit the mark.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Mar '23 07:29
    @divegeester said
    I wonder why 3 people chose to thumb down this post but not reply. Obviously hit the mark.
    Your "accuracy" in this regard has seldom been lower.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '23 13:34
    @suzianne said
    Your "accuracy" in this regard has seldom been lower.
    Speaking of accuracy…

Why have you put “accuracy” in speech marks? I didn’t type that word.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Mar '23 05:12
    @divegeester said
    Speaking of accuracy…

Why have you put “accuracy” in speech marks? I didn’t type that word.
    I didn't realize I needed to dumb down my post for a three-year-old.

My advice: stop calling them "speech marks". That's not all they do.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Mar '23 05:48
    @suzianne said
    I didn't realize I needed to dumb down my post for a three-year-old.

My advice: stop calling them "speech marks". That's not all they do.
    Why not enter into the topic of the thread instead of your incessant trolling. You bring no value to any thread in any forum with your Karenesque tub thumping and abuse.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Mar '23 20:45
    @divegeester said
    Is this "entering into the topic of the thread"?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '23 23:51
    @suzianne said
    Oh the irony.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Mar '23 09:52
    @suzianne said
    Other than abuse, you have very little to say do you.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Mar '23 11:141 edit
    @divegeester said
    Why not enter into the topic of the thread instead of your incessant trolling. You bring no value to any thread in any forum with your Karenesque tub thumping and abuse.
    A subjective opinion, brought on by your dislike of people who hold a different subjective opinion.

Stating an opposing viewpoint isn't "abuse", except maybe to those who desire to control the narrative.

My post wasn't taking issue with your OP. I agree with it on a base level. It's your putting down other Christians who do not share your personal Christian views that I take issue with, and therefore my post was accurate.

You taking issue with those who disagree is not a Christian value. But it's about all you do here. You rarely bring up a topic to discuss in a rational adult fashion, but only to pigeonhole other Christians and ultimately make fun of those who hold opposing viewpoints.

Discuss? No, you'd rather open your can of handy epithets you reserve for those who actually have the temerity to express disagreement with your treatment of others here. You misrepresent this as "trolling" when it's more akin to "anti-trolling".

But by all means, do carry on.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Mar '23 11:28
    @fmf said
    Oh the irony.
    Oh, the gaslighting.

You don't see his remarks as "irony"? No, of course you don't. Because it's more important to your narrative to support all of his irony.

🙄
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '23 11:43
    @suzianne said
    Oh, the gaslighting.

You don't see his remarks as "irony"? No, of course you don't. Because it's more important to your narrative to support all of his irony.
    My "narrative"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree