1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 03:36
    When Jesus is "flowing through" someone in an online community like this, how can one tell?

Surely such "flowing" has detectable or observable traits?

Surely the evidence that Jesus is "flowing through" someone in an online community is more than them just typing out reams of text citing doctrine?

Thoughts?
  2. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 04:23
    @fmf said
    When Jesus is "flowing through" someone in an online community like this, how can one tell?
    How can one tell?

Well, first off... they don’t announce it.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 04:27
    @hakima said
    How can one tell?

Well, first off... they don’t announce it.
    What about sitting in the pew at the front wearing an extravagant hat and singing loudly?
  4. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 05:17
    @fmf said
    What about sitting in the pew at the front wearing an extravagant hat and singing loudly?
    It depends on what they are singing... Le Marseillaise or Onward Christian Solidiers...

...personally, I have all eyes on the hat.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 08:10
    @fmf said

Surely the evidence that Jesus is "flowing through" someone in an online community is more than them just typing out reams of text citing doctrine?

Thoughts?
    As far as I know (and I stand to be corrected), the bible doesn’t mention “Jesus flowing through” a person.

What is does say in John 7:38
    “Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.”
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 12:08
    @fmf said

Thoughts?
    The expression 'Jesus is flowing through someone', means that the person is filled with the4 Holy Spirit. Jesus explains

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. (John 14:26 KJV)

And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. (Mark 16:17-18 KJV)
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 12:34
    @divegeester said
    As far as I know (and I stand to be corrected), the bible doesn’t mention “Jesus flowing through” a person.
    Not specifically, but arguably could be inferred from John 15:1:

“I am the true vine, and My Father is the keeper of the vineyard. He cuts off every branch in Me that bears no fruit, and every branch that does bear fruit, He prunes to make it even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in Me, and I will remain in you. Just as no branch can bear fruit by itself unless it remains in the vine, neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in Me."
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 12:42
    @FMF
    Whatever "the community" says of course.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 12:521 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

“I am the true vine, and My Father is the keeper of the vineyard. He cuts off every branch in Me that bears no fruit, and every branch that does bear fruit, He prunes to make it even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in Me, and I will remain in you. ...[text shortened]... fruit by itself unless it remains in the vine, neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in Me."
    It could be argued so, yes. But I would maintain that that scripture is talking about fruit, behaviours, mindset, attitude.

Edit; to be fair I think my argument is borderline pedantic. But having read the NT many times the statement “Jesus flowing through me/you” just grates as being not accurate.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 13:04
    While "the community" scoffs at God depicting Himself flowing through people, those on the outskirts of "the community" can check this.

The illustration of water flowing through wood to petrify it is a good analogy. I would credit me first hearing this to the late Brother Witness Lee.

Copied from The Divine Dispensing of the Divine Trinity by Witness Lee
    The making of petrified wood is a good illustration of the process of transformation through the flowing of the divine life. I have been told that petrified wood is produced by the flowing of a current of water. As the water flows, it brings in the mineral element and carries away the element of wood. This means that through the flowing of the water, the wooden element is replaced by a mineral element. The flow of the current not only produces the increase of the mineral element but also causes transformation. Eventually, after many years, the wood that has been immersed in the flowing of this current is petrified. This is a picture of the process of transformation in the divine life.

https://www.ministrybooks.org/SearchMinBooksDsp.cfm?id=220CDEFEFB
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 13:09
    @sonship said
    While "the community" scoffs at God depicting Himself flowing through people, those on the outskirts of "the community" can check this.

The illustration of water flowing through wood to petrify it is a good analogy. I would credit me first hearing this to the late Brother Witness Lee.

Copied from The Divine Dispensing of the Divine Trinity by Witness Lee
    ...[text shortened]... on in the divine life. [/quote]

https://www.ministrybooks.org/SearchMinBooksDsp.cfm?id=220CDEFEFB
    Nonsense. Witless Lee misses the point completely.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 13:16
    While "the community" readies its authoritative cynical response here's another speaking on flowing producing transformation for God's building.

What is transformation? Once again I would like to use the example of petrified wood. As water flows through the wood, the element of wood is carried away and the elements of minerals are added in its place. As the mineral elements are wrought into the wood, the wood is transformed into stone. This is petrification. We are wood, and the flow of living water must carry away our natural element and bring into our being all the divine, heavenly, holy, and spiritual elements. In this way we are transformed.

Copied from The Life Study of Genesis by Witness Lee.
    https://www.ministrybooks.org/SearchMinBooksDsp.cfm?id=2E0ED5F9F8

The flowing of Christ as the Spirit of life is for refreshing, watering, transformation, and removing the old element OUT of a man to deposit something of the new INTO man.

From the same book Life Study of Genesis we read about "weighty gold" being produced over time by this flowing of God through man.

We are weighty because we have God in us. The called ones need to call on the name of Jehovah, El Olam. The more Abraham called on this title of the divine Being, the more weighty he became. God is gold. If we call on Him, we shall become golden. The more we call on the golden God, the more of His golden element will be infused into our being. Consider the difference between wood and petrified wood. Wood is light, but petrified wood is weighty. It is even more weighty than stone, because weighty minerals have been wrought into it. We all were born light, but we have been reborn to be weighty. In addition to our rebirth, we have the process of transformation. The way in which wood becomes petrified is through the continuous flow of water. This flow of water carries away the element of wood and adds in its place the element of various minerals, transforming the wood into a weighty, precious stone.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 13:16
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

“I am the true vine, and My Father is the keeper of the vineyard. He cuts off every branch in Me that bears no fruit, and every branch that does bear fruit, He prunes to make it even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in Me, and I will remain in you. ...[text shortened]... fruit by itself unless it remains in the vine, neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in Me."
    Great reference. Jesus makes the point clearly and reading further down in the same chapter we see this:

[i]If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. (John 15:10 KJV).

A straightforward IF/THEN conditional statement. IF you keep the commandments THEN you will abide in the love of Christ and God.

Christians therefore who claim to have the Holy Spirit and/or proclaim that Jesus is flowing through them, are sadly mistaken if also with the same mouth they condemn the keeping of the commandments of Christ and derogatorily refer to it as works salvation and legalistic Pharisaical doctrine.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 13:21
    But WHERE in the Bible did it clearly say Jesus would be like flowing water?

In Isaiah 32:2 a prophecy speaks of a Man, a King who will be like streams of water.

"Indeed a King will reign according to righteousness, And rulers will rule according to justice.

And a man will be like a refuge from the wind and a covering from the tempest,
    Like streams of water in a dry place.

Like the shadow of a massive rock in a wasted land."

This man is the Son of God. This man is all these things to those who believe in Him.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 13:301 edit
    So Isaiah 32:1,2 speak of a King who is a Man. And what a Man He will be. And this Man, the Son of God, is in the process of fully outworking all these promises.

He will reign in righteousness. He begins by doing so WITHIN some first. He will return to do so from the OUTSIDE too.

He is "as streams of water in a dry place". That means He will flow into and through the fallen people giving them life like water gives life to the desert.

What an all-inclusive and wonderful King this man is. He is also like a massive rock casting a relieving shadow in a wasted land.

THAT'S Jesus Christ folks.

"And a man will be like a REFUGE from the wind
    and a covering from the tempest,
    Like STREAMS OF WATER in a dry place,

Like the shadow of a massive rock in a wasted land." (Isaiah 32:2)

What a man God sends out of eternity into time, into the world!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree