Jesus Camp closed

Jesus Camp closed

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

London

Moves
16 Nov 06

Originally posted by bbarr
Wow. You think that Jesus thought that it would be just for woman to be executed for committing adultery? Do you think he thought it would be just for a child to be executed for disrespecting his parents?
Depending on the nature and severity of the disrespect and the maturity and moral responsibility of the child, I don't see why not.

In many cultures (including my own), the traditional penalty for violence against one's parents is death.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
16 Nov 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Why?
It shows Jesus full of prejudice.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
16 Nov 06

Depending on the nature and severity of the disrespect and the maturity and moral responsibility of the child, I don't see why not.
LMAO. What a goof.

l

London

Moves
16 Nov 06

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
LMAO. What a goof.
Just because your culture seems to tolerate kids treating their parents like dirt and parents killing off their kids at a whim doesn't mean the rest of us have to buy it.

l

London

Moves
16 Nov 06

Originally posted by kirksey957
It shows Jesus full of prejudice.
Is that what it shows? Why does Jesus heal the woman's daughter anyway, then? Why does he heal the Roman centurion's servant?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
16 Nov 06
1 edit

Just because your culture seems to tolerate kids treating their parents like dirt and parents killing off their kids at a whim doesn't mean the rest of us have to buy it.
If the solution you propose is execution of those kids, that's a cure that's far worse than the disease.

Wouldn't you rather have your kid alive and disrepectful of you, than stoned to death with the scales of justice putatively rebalanced?

Pimp!

Gangster Land

Moves
16 Nov 06

In many cultures (including my own), the traditional penalty for violence against one's parents is death.
Wait a minute...you go all gaga over an abortion AND think that the penalty for a kid punching his father should be death!? Just where the heck is your culture...?

TheSkipper

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
16 Nov 06

Is that what it shows? Why does Jesus heal the woman's daughter anyway, then? Why does he heal the Roman centurion's servant?
The best it shows is that Jesus changed his opinion and views at the woman's persistence. Do you deny that the passage shows a not so pleasant Jesus?

l

London

Moves
16 Nov 06

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
If the solution you propose is execution of those kids, that's a cure that's far worse than the disease.

Wouldn't you rather have your kid alive and disrepectful of you, than stoned to death with the scales of justice putatively rebalanced?
I would rather show mercy and forgiveness yes -- that doesn't mean the scales of justice are any different.

l

London

Moves
16 Nov 06

Originally posted by TheSkipper
Wait a minute...you go all gaga over an abortion AND think that the penalty for a kid punching his father should be death!? Just where the heck is your culture...?

TheSkipper
Did you actually read the first part of what I wrote?

l

London

Moves
16 Nov 06

Originally posted by kirksey957
The best it shows is that Jesus changed his opinion and views at the woman's persistence. Do you deny that the passage shows a not so pleasant Jesus?
In isolation, yes. But seen in context as to how Jesus deals with other people that come to him for grace/healing (e.g. the rich young man, the father of the possessed boy), I see a very consistent pattern -- and it's not the one most people think.

Pimp!

Gangster Land

Moves
16 Nov 06

Did you actually read the first part of what I wrote?
Yes, I did. Could you provide me with an example of circumstances wherein it would be permissable for a child to be executed for disrespecting his parent(s)?

TheSkipper

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
16 Nov 06

I would rather show mercy and forgiveness yes -- that doesn't mean the scales of justice are any different.
So, if you forgive a child for the acts of disrepect that you cite, an entailment of your forgiveness is an acknowledgment that you ought to throw rocks at his head until he becomes a lifeless mass of flesh, but that you prefer not to do so.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
16 Nov 06
1 edit

I think we're now (generally) in agreement.
Ok, so since forgiveness is always possible and it's preferable to stoning, stoning is therefore not correct in Jesus view.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
17 Nov 06
1 edit

Only a nutcase would think that killing a child for "disrespecting a parent" "balances" the scales of justice. Ditto for killing a woman for committing adultery. I see no evidence that Jesus was as much of a psycho as you (as far as these issues are concerned anyway).