Jesus Camp closed

Jesus Camp closed

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
17 Nov 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
No you didn't -- it's about 2/3rds down page 5 if you're interested.
2nd from last post of page 6. 🙂

l

London

Moves
17 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Palynka
2nd from last post of page 6. 🙂
EDIT: Are you referring to my post or yours? 2nd from last on page 6 is yours.

l

London

Moves
17 Nov 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
LH: Do you mean something that is objectively so grevious a wrong that death would be a just penalty for it

Most people don't agree that "disrespecting one's parents" or adultery is "such a grevious wrong that death would be a just penalty for it". Period. You are rather plainly thick or disingenous to declare that people are merely confused.
Clearly since an earlier post of yours (Western society -- executing our children etc.) did not make the distinction I clarified in that post, people are confused.

l

London

Moves
17 Nov 06

Originally posted by TheSkipper
So we are clear, your comment in this thread that most concerns me is the following:

{LH}
Just because your culture seems to tolerate kids treating their parents like dirt and parents killing off their kids at a whim doesn't mean the rest of us have to buy it.
{end LH}

At the time you made this comment we had just began discussing whether or not a ...[text shortened]... response (above) is baffling and I would be interested to hear your explanation.

TheSkipper
I'm not answering this post separately since I will be raising the same points from my reply to your previous post (and part of the answer will follow once you respond to that post).

N

The sky

Moves
17 Nov 06

Clearly since an earlier post of yours (Western society -- executing our children etc.) did not make the distinction I clarified in that post, people are confused.
I am not sure I understand what you mean by your distinction. Are you saying that stoning would be a just punishment for disrespecting your parents or adultery, but humans are not in the position to do it? So if God would do it, it would be right?

l

London

Moves
17 Nov 06

Originally posted by Palynka
Ok, so since forgiveness is always possible and it's preferable to stoning, stoning is therefore not correct in Jesus view.
(Just dug this up since you referred to this recently)

Assuming classic Christian theology, why was forgiveness possible here? And why do you think Jesus did not use the "hardness of hearts" (or something similar) line here?

l

London

Moves
17 Nov 06

Originally posted by Nordlys
I am not sure I understand what you mean by your distinction. Are you saying that stoning would be a just punishment for disrespecting your parents or adultery, but humans are not in the position to do it? So if God would do it, it would be right?
1. I was speaking of death generally, not specifically stoning.
2. In both cases there would be considerations of consent/will and knowledge/moral responsibility/maturity. I've specified this as well. I've also specified that the nature and severity of the disrespect would matter in the second case.
3. (Given all the above) Yes and yes.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
17 Nov 06
1 edit

Wrong on both counts. Look it up in a dictionary.
It's the fourth meaning in Merriam-Webster, suggesting it's technically proper but rarely used. You are wrong (as usual). Also, you might check the meaning of derivative words like"childish" or "childhood".

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
17 Nov 06

No, they are not. They don't care if the "child" is 80.

Pimp!

Gangster Land

Moves
17 Nov 06
2 edits

[b]

What do you mean by "warrant the death penalty"? Do you mean something that is objectively so grevious a wrong that death would be a just penalty for it or something that we should have laws decreeing the death penalty for? I see a clear distinction between the two -- most people reading my posts in this thread don't and that appears to be at the heart of what's being posted about.
[/b]

What I mean by "warrant the death penalty" is if you were watching the trial of said disrespectful adult son or daughter would you be hoping for the penalty of death? Obviously, this will depend on the severity of disrespect so is there any sort of disrespect that you would like to see the death penalty implemented as a response? This is regardless of what the law of the particular state/country may be. In fact, assume for the purposes of this question that you are king and what you say goes. Would king LH ever order someone put to death for disrespecting their parents? Would king LH ever order someone put to death for engaging in an adulterous relationship?

Let me explain by way of analogy. Let's suppose that a country has a law prescribing the death penalty for murder. Now let's say there's a murderer in a particular neighbourhood. Death is the legal punishment for this murderer's crimes -- does that mean the townspeople can just band up and, say, hang him? Maybe they form a town committee and have a trial first. Would you disagree that it is still vigilanteism and not in accordance with the law? What is the difference between this situation and an authorised judge finding the man guilty and sentencing him to death at the hands of an authorised executioner?

If you agree that such a distinction exists (especially to a theist -- who does believe in a "higher Judge" ), then I'll answer your questions.
[/b]

Well, it depends on the social contract doesn't it? If the particular society has deemed it accessible to deal with crime via hastily thrown together juries and judges then I suppose it is permissible. My society, on the other hand, requires more pomp and circumstance than that and not following the procedures we have deemed necessary for justice is in itself a violation of the law.

So, yes, I see a distinction but depending on the particular social contract either situation could be "proper" for a particular society.

TheSkipper

l

London

Moves
17 Nov 06

It's the fourth meaning in Merriam-Webster, suggesting it's technically proper but rarely used. You are wrong (as usual).
LOL. How long did you hunt for a dictionary that put it that low?

And can you think of many other definitions that would be more obvious in a question about parent-child relationships?

l

London

Moves
17 Nov 06

No, they are not. They don't care if the "child" is 80.
The distinction between objective wrong and something you put into law, no1.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
17 Nov 06

LOL. How long did you hunt for a dictionary that put it that low?

And can you think of many other definitions that would be more obvious in a question about parent-child relationships?
Not very long; Merriam Webster is the most used dictionary in the States. Look up the following words:

Childhood
Childish
Childlike
Child's play

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
17 Nov 06

(Just dug this up since you referred to this recently)

Assuming classic Christian theology, why was forgiveness possible here? And why do you think Jesus did not use the "hardness of hearts" (or something similar) line here?
I don't understand your question. I'm no expert on Christian theology, so I don't know what you mean by 'classic'.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
17 Nov 06
1 edit

The distinction between objective wrong and something you put into law, no1.
YOU are the only one showing confusion. No one else in this thread believes that adultery or disrespecting one's parents is sooooooooooooooo "objectively wrong" that it merits death.