Jehovah Witnesses and Sexual Abuse of Children

Jehovah Witnesses and Sexual Abuse of Children

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
18 Feb 15
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I think i am still in favour of penitent privilege as I think its much more likely to result in confessions...
But is this the most effective way of stopping child sex abuse? Getting some undetermined number of "confessions", without knowing what proportion of the sex abuse this actually involves, is not the objective. The objective is tackling child sex abuse as effectively as possible.

Moves
18 Feb 15

Originally posted by Proper Knob
I work in schools, if a child informed me that they were being abused I would report what the child had said to the schools safeguarding team in an instant. I have had instances where a child has disclosed information which I felt the appropriate people should know. Children's safety is paramount, as a teacher I have a duty of care to the children.

Ou ...[text shortened]... f curiousty what would you do if a child of JW parents made an allegation of child abuse to you?
Also, depending on the jurisdiction, you may well be a mandatory reporter.

Which means that you are not just morally but legally required to report the crime.

F

Moves
18 Feb 15

We are minsters of God we are not psychologists. They will be counselled to seek professional help.
Aren't adults ~ regardless of whether they are self-declared minsters of God or psychologists or managers of a huge corporation ~ to protect children from sex predators and expose crimes of this nature even if it does harm to their organisation's image?

rc

Moves
18 Feb 15

Originally posted by Proper Knob
I work in schools, if a child informed me that they were being abused I would report what the child had said to the schools safeguarding team in an instant. I have had instances where a child has disclosed information which I felt the appropriate people should know. Children's safety is paramount, as a teacher I have a duty of care to the children.

O ...[text shortened]... f curiousty what would you do if a child of JW parents made an allegation of child abuse to you?
But you are a mere minstrel not a fully ordained and duly appointed minister of God and have no recourse to the provision of penitent privilege, you could not therefore invoke a clause of confidentiality in the case of a confession. I on the other hand face much more weighty dilemmas!

Yes child safety is paramount for sure, but their is also due process and one cannot at least presently in Scotland be convicted without corroborating evidence. Furthermore in the UK there is a legal imperative to report child abuse which supersedes even that most scared of privileges, the privilege of confidentiality.

If someone accused me of child abuse I would probably ask them to prove it in a court of law.

rc

Moves
18 Feb 15

Originally posted by FMF
Aren't adults ~ regardless of whether they are self-declared minsters of God or psychologists or managers of a huge corporation ~ to protect children from sex predators and expose crimes of this nature even if it does harm to their organisation's image?
Sure but they are not policemen or law enforcers, are they.

rc

Moves
18 Feb 15
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
But is this the most effective way of stopping child sex abuse? Getting some undetermined number of "confessions", without knowing what proportion of the sex abuse this actually involves, is not the objective. The objective is tackling child sex abuse as effectively as possible.
whether its more or less effective I cannot say. I doubt it for it seems to me that is much better to have people come and confess and be counselled to seek help than it is to have them simply hide it.

Moves
18 Feb 15

LOL, some Witnesses are teachers, some will be elders and are trained as ministers of God to hear confessions. I think i am still in favour of penitent privilege as I think its much more likely to result in confessions, infact despite asking i can see no reason why anyone who perpetrates child abuse would voluntarily make a confession knowing they w ...[text shortened]... the people that you counsel get caught? Do they fess up or are they for the most part found out?
So you cannot say if one is more or less likely to make a confession. How do the people that you counsel get caught? Do they fess up or are they for the most part found out?

the vast majority are caught, it is very rare that they 'fess up' (i cant think of any off the top of my head that came forward). the main reason is denial, most sex offenders (especially paedophiles) do not accept they are a paedophiles or that what they have done is a crime. the only people they will really speak to about what they have done is the psychologists and only because they have to.

so my hunch would be that confession doesnt help, it would really only appeal to those that get off on talking about it (which is a tiny minority).

F

Moves
18 Feb 15

Sure but they are not policemen or law enforcers, are they.
You're missing the point. Don't all adults have a responsibility to protect children from sexual predators?

F

Moves
18 Feb 15

whether its more or less effective I cannot say. I doubt it for it seems to me that is much better to have people come and confess and be counselled to seek help than it is to have them simply hide it.
So people who have sex with children simply escape prosecution and punishment for their crimes in the system you prefer?

rc

Moves
18 Feb 15

Originally posted by stellspalfie
[b]So you cannot say if one is more or less likely to make a confession. How do the people that you counsel get caught? Do they fess up or are they for the most part found out?

the vast majority are caught, it is very rare that they 'fess up' (i cant think of any off the top of my head that came forward). the main reason is denial, most sex of ...[text shortened]... t would really only appeal to those that get off on talking about it (which is a tiny minority).[/b]
Perhaps it fear of betrayal that has led them to hide their guilt? after all in the UK reporting is mandatory, you would not expect anyone to voluntarily subject themselves to instant prosecution.

Can they be rehabilitated?

F

Moves
18 Feb 15

If someone accused me of child abuse I would probably ask them to prove it in a court of law.
Is this the way your organisation suggests you handle it if the child accusing you is also a JW member?

rc

Moves
18 Feb 15
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
So people who have sex with children simply escape prosecution and punishment for their crimes in the system you prefer?
this is beneath my dignity to acknowledge with an answer. You have pole vaulted the line - you are not the kind of person i wish to have an adult discussion with - goodbye.

rc

Moves
18 Feb 15

Originally posted by FMF
Is this the way your organisation suggests you handle it if the child accusing you is also a JW member?
there is a child protection policy in place, you may make reference to that. Its in the public domain.

F

Moves
18 Feb 15

this is beneath my dignity to acknowledge with an answer.
Do people who "confess" to the managers or leaders of your organisation escape legal prosecution and punishment for their crimes or not? There is no "beneath my dignity" cop out for such a pertinent question.

F

Moves
18 Feb 15
1 edit

there is a child protection policy in place, you may make reference to that. Its in the public domain.
Does it more or less say 'If someone in the JW organisation accuses you of child abuse, you should probably ask them to prove it in a court of law'?