Is Jesus.....

Is Jesus.....

Spirituality

c

Moves
24 Oct 18

@chaney3 said
Interesting point, to merely accept God's will and not bother praying.
But.....

In Isaiah 38 is a story of king Hezekiah, who was told by Isaiah "the Lord says set your affairs in order, for you are going to die, and will not recover from your illness".

The king wept and prayed to God.

Then the Lord sent Isaiah back to the king with this message: "I have heard your ...[text shortened]... d has made up His mind, prayer might alter His plan (will).

God's will is adjustable with prayer?
This post is for Suzianne, whodey and KellyJay as well.

Can we alter God's will with prayer as was done in Isaiah?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Oct 18

@chaney3 said

Sometimes, yes.

w

Moves
25 Oct 18

@chaney3 said

The story of Moses comes to mind when God wished to wipe away the rebellious Hebrew nation and start anew. Moses begged for their lives. God relented, but also refused to let them enter the Promised Land. So he essentially let them die off before letting the next Hebrew generation enter his promise.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Oct 18

@whodey said
The story of Moses comes to mind when God wished to wipe away the rebellious Hebrew nation and start anew. Moses begged for their lives. God relented, but also refused to let them enter the Promised Land. So he essentially let them die off before letting the next Hebrew generation enter his promise.
1 Kings 21:29
“Have you seen how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has humbled himself before me, I will not bring the disaster in his days; but in his son's days I will bring the disaster upon his house.”

Even those not right with God if they humble themselves and pray may get God
to change what He was about to do. The thing is all of Christianity is based upon
that, before we walk with God we are in a condemned state, with Christ we are
redeemed, saved.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
25 Oct 18

@kellyjay said
Sometimes, yes.
If God is the same today, yesterday, tomorrow and forever, as many here keep saying, then how is it that a mere man might change his mind?

c

Moves
25 Oct 18

@suzianne said
If God is the same today, yesterday, tomorrow and forever, as many here keep saying, then how is it that a mere man might change his mind?
I gave you the bible verse at the bottom of page 3.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Oct 18
2 edits

@suzianne said
We are not talking about a rock that doesn't alter its makeup.
I said sometimes, because as you and I both know God isn't like a man; however,
we are made in His image, but He is Supreme not us, He is Sovereign we are
not. He is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. He is dealing with us in real
time telling us how to behave. There are lines He will not cross, there are lines if
we cross we are toast, but He is calling us to Him to save us from the faith that
is currently before us all.

T

Moves
25 Oct 18

@chaney3 said
Interesting point, to merely accept God's will and not bother praying.
But.....

In Isaiah 38 is a story of king Hezekiah, who was told by Isaiah "the Lord says set your affairs in order, for you are going to die, and will not recover from your illness".

The king wept and prayed to God.

Then the Lord sent Isaiah back to the king with this message: "I have heard your ...[text shortened]... d has made up His mind, prayer might alter His plan (will).

God's will is adjustable with prayer?
Before you read too much into that passage, you should investigate the entirety of his life.

The verses immediately following those you cited should help you put things in perspective:
Isaiah 38
8I will make the shadow cast by the sun go back the ten steps it has gone down on the stairway of Ahaz.’ ” So the sunlight went back the ten steps it had gone down.

As should the following:
Of all the kings of Judah, Hezekiah was the most obedient to God. He found such favor in the Lord's eyes that God answered his prayer and added 15 years to his life.

Hezekiah, whose name means "God has strengthened," was 25 years old when he began his reign, which lasted from 726-697 B.C. His father, Ahaz, had been one of the worst kings in the country's history, leading the people astray with idolatry.

Hezekiah zealously began to set things right. First, he reopened the temple in Jerusalem. Then he sanctified the temple vessels that had been desecrated. He reinstated the Levitical priesthood, restored proper worship, and brought back Passover as a national holiday.

But he didn't stop there. King Hezekiah made sure idols were smashed throughout the land, along with any remains of pagan worship. Over the years, the people had been worshiping the bronze serpent Moses made in the desert. Hezekiah destroyed it.

https://www.thoughtco.com/hezekiah-successful-king-of-judah-4089408

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
25 Oct 18

@suzianne said
because separation is an illusion

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Oct 18

@kellyjay said
We are not talking about a rock that doesn't alter its makeup.
I said sometimes, because as you and I both know God isn't like a man; however,
we are made in His image, but He is Supreme not us, He is Sovereign we are
not. He is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. He is dealing with us in real
time telling us how to behave. There are lines He will not cross, there a ...[text shortened]... e are toast, but He is calling us to Him to save us from the faith that
is currently before us all.
"There are lines He will not cross, there are lines if
we cross we are toast, but He is calling us to Him to save us from the faith that
is currently before us all."

That should have read "fate", sheesh...didn't notice that till just now.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
25 Oct 18

@kellyjay said
"There are lines He will not cross, there are lines if
is currently before us all."

That should have read "fate", sheesh...didn't notice that till just now.
I wondered slightly about that.

But again, if God is unchanging, how is it that he can, and does, change his mind? There are many examples of this. He even regretted the Flood.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
25 Oct 18

@karoly-aczel said
because separation is an illusion
ssssshhhhhh, the adults are talking.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
25 Oct 18

@chaney3 said

"And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. Confess [your] faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." -- James 5:15-16, KJV

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Oct 18
1 edit

@rwingett

Funny how the universe behaves exactly as you would expect if there were no god.

No, I think the universe behaves as if it was purposely designed with a transcendent Mind that had human arrival as its central purpose.

Now, I would agree that it also contains some behavior as if something bad has gone wrong with its originally intended plan.

It behaves as one with a wise blueprint for a design but something has gone terribly wrong.

The universe also contains a man who appears as an exception to this going astray plan. The universe contains Someone whose life suggests - "This is what God meant by Human Being."

That is Christ of the four gospels.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Oct 18
3 edits

@Suzianne

I wondered slightly about that.

But again, if God is unchanging, how is it that he can, and does, change his mind? There are many examples of this. He even regretted the Flood.

In the unfolding revelation of God's salvation, I am not sure how ELSE it could be communicated to us that He prefers NOT to judge without a salvation.

Yes, I read that it repented God that He made man after seeing the degradation of sin ravaging the earth. I noticed that it says in essence "This did not turn out well and I am sorry I did it."
It is man like.

I see that too. But I think HOW ELSE can He communicate to us in the long run that His will was not being done because of the choices of man's free will.

He said He would draw His people with "the cords of a man" (Hosea 11:4) . That is with emotional sentiments we creatures can understand.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.