Is it possible to synthesize a virus?

Is it possible to synthesize a virus?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Jun 06

I know some people believe scientists will never be able to synthesize life in the lab. Do these people thing scientists will be able to synthesize viruses?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Jun 06

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
I know some people believe scientists will never be able to synthesize life in the lab. Do these people thing scientists will be able to synthesize viruses?
If scientists do, I guess these people will dispute that the virus is not a living thing or that viruses do not have consciousness like us. Either way thay will confuse the issue.

Moves
16 Jun 06
1 edit

depends what you mean by synthesise a virus. if you mean build one from scratch from base protines, the yes eventually. if you mean take bits of viruses and put them together to make a new one then it is done all the time.

this isn't really a spiritual question. maybe we need a science forum as we have a spirituality one.

S

Moves
16 Jun 06
1 edit

Originally posted by googlefudge
depends what you mean by synthesise a virus. if you mean build one from scratch from base protines, the yes eventually. if you mean take bits of viruses and put them together to make a new one then it is done all the time.

this isn't really a spiritual question. maybe we need a science forum as we have a spirituality one.
And duplicate the evolution debates? Are you mad? I don't think my brain could take it....

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
16 Jun 06

Originally posted by Conrau K
If scientists do, I guess these people will dispute that the virus is not a living thing or that viruses do not have consciousness like us. Either way thay will confuse the issue.
What's to confuse. Define "living". 😛😀

Moves
16 Jun 06

the evolution debates should stay in the spirituality forum as there is no scientific argument as to whether evolution hapens or not. anyway I have posted the question in site ideas, so the discussion can carry on there.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Jun 06

This belongs here because I am addressing those who think there is some sort of supernatural "life force" which human scientists cannot replicate. These people do exist, right?

Jew.

Moves
16 Jun 06

d

Moves
18 Jun 06

a prion could be made first

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
20 Jun 06

the evolution debates should stay in the spirituality forum as there is no scientific argument as to whether evolution hapens or not. anyway I have posted the question in site ideas, so the discussion can carry on there.
You mean 'no scientific evidence' you personally would accept. The vast majority of real scientists would disagree wholeheartedly with you. There are so many volumes of evidence it makes the head spin but you appear not to be one of those able to accept such evidence, instead with mere pronouncement, they are false, you think you have won your case. Actually all you have done is delude yourself.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
20 Jun 06

Originally posted by sonhouse
You mean 'no scientific evidence' you personally would accept. The vast majority of real scientists would disagree wholeheartedly with you. There are so many volumes of evidence it makes the head spin but you appear not to be one of those able to accept such evidence, instead with mere pronouncement, they are false, you think you have won your case. Actually all you have done is delude yourself.
I think he means that within the realms of science we're completely happy with evolution. It's only creationists that have issue with it.

BM

RDU NC

Moves
20 Jun 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
I think he means that within the realms of science we're completely happy with evolution. It's only creationists that have issue with it.
not all creationists take issue with evolution.

but, biblical inerrantists do.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
20 Jun 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Big Mac

Okay, perhaps I should have said Young Earth Creationists.

[edit; or, as you say, biblical literalists.]

w

Moves
20 Jun 06

Originally posted by Big Mac

Which parts of evolution contradict scripture in your opinion?

w

Moves
20 Jun 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Okay, perhaps I should have said Young Earth Creationists.

[edit; or, as you say, biblical literalists.]
I am a Biblical literalist who believes in old earth creation.