Irish Blasphemy Laws

Irish Blasphemy Laws

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
19 Jul 09

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Because His name is Sacred, anything that is Good needs respect.

AH

Moves
19 Jul 09

Originally posted by daniel58
In the fact that;

1. It supports morality, more so, the Belief in ONE GOD.

2. Morally right and wrong already existed, Lucifer was the first to sin, anything against God is sin, therefore Christianity is better than paganism.
…1. It supports morality, more so,
….

In what way “more so”?
How would other religions “support morality less so”?

…the Belief in ONE GOD.

What does that have to do with ‘morality’?

…2. Morally right and wrong already existed
….

How do you know this?
Is there any empirical data/logical reasoning that led you to this conclusion and, if so, what is it?

d

Moves
19 Jul 09

Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
[b]…1. It supports morality, more so,
….

In what way “more so”?
How would other religions “support morality less so”?

…the Belief in ONE GOD.

What does that have to do with ‘morality’?

…2. Morally right and wrong already existed
….

How do you know this?
Is there any empirical data/logical reasoning that led you to this conclusion and, if so, what is it?[/b]
More laws protect morality, not less, therefore it protects it more so, not less so.

God made us, therefore it insults Him if we don't Believe in Him.

Murdering is bad no matter what, because life is sacred, don't like it? Too bad it's true anyways.

Cape Town

Moves
19 Jul 09

But believing in him or not is not the issue. The issue is why God needs laws to protect him from insults. If he really made us then he made us this way and has no-one but himself to blame if he doesn't like what he got. And why cant he protect himself from insults? Why rely on the legal system?
Also the law is quite general and protects all the other false gods - the Devil included if he happens to have enough outrageable followers. Why do all those other gods need legal protection?

AH

Moves
20 Jul 09

More laws protect morality, not less, therefore it protects it more so, not less so.

Murdering is bad no matter what, because life is sacred, don't like it? Too bad it's true anyways.
…More laws protect morality, not less,
….

How do you know that the ‘laws’ you refer to are “moral”?
In your own mind, what non-arbitrary criteria would you use to determine this?

Point: If you have no way of knowing that a given ‘law’ is “moral right” then how do you know these ‘laws’ that you refer to “protect morality”?

…Murdering is bad no matter what, because life is sacred,

How do you know that life is “sacred”?
What empirical data/logical reasoning did you use to arrive at the belief that life is “sacred”?

…don't LIKE it? Too bad it's true anyways.
….
(my emphasis)

What has whether or not I or you LIKE a hypothesis got to do with whether or not that hypothesis is correct?
-whether or not a hypothesis is correct is independent of our likes and dislikes (unless it is a hypothesis on or to do with likes or dislikes).

Moves
20 Jul 09

d

Moves
20 Jul 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
But believing in him or not is not the issue. The issue is why God needs laws to protect him from insults. If he really made us then he made us this way and has no-one but himself to blame if he doesn't like what he got. And why cant he protect himself from insults? Why rely on the legal system?
Also the law is quite general and protects all the other fa ...[text shortened]... appens to have enough outrageable followers. Why do all those other gods need legal protection?
They don't, there's only One God, God doesn't NEED any legal protection, it's for our own good, like you're not supposed to go down the highway the wrong way, not just for the heck of it, but for your own good.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
20 Jul 09

Are you a vegetarian,old boy?

d

Moves
20 Jul 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Are you a vegetarian,old boy?
I said MURDERING not killing.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
21 Jul 09
1 edit

I said MURDERING not killing.
So thats a "no" I take it.
Whats the difference between murder and killing anyway? Unless its 'manslaughter' ,ie.unintentional killing. But thats beside the point anyway.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
21 Jul 09

...I 'm runnin' out o' poems😵

Moves
21 Jul 09

Originally posted by black beetle
...I 'm runnin' out o' poems😵
he he The poetry that you do write is to be commended though, my friend; and this is from one who really dislikes poetry. 😵

Cape Town

Moves
21 Jul 09

They don't, there's only One God, God doesn't NEED any legal protection, it's for our own good, like you're not supposed to go down the highway the wrong way, not just for the heck of it, but for your own good.
So you are suggesting that the law should attempt to deter me from insulting God because by doing so it prevents God from punishing me at a later date? Have I got that right?
But that would not tie in with the wording of the law which seems far more concerned about whether or not Gods followers are getting outraged by my statements. In fact the law will not punish me if I insult God in the worst possible manner as long as there are no outraged followers or as long as I did not intend to outrage those followers. So it seems that it is the followers that demand protection and not God.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
21 Jul 09

Originally posted by Badwater
he he The poetry that you do write is to be commended though, my friend; and this is from one who really dislikes poetry. 😵
Have a good time Kazoe😵

Moves
21 Jul 09