1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '24 01:23
    @medullah said
    I’m not a big fan of main stream churches but a few months ago we went to visit Shrewsbury Cathedral (wife likes them). As it turned out out we were a bit too early and went in to the last fifteen minutes of the service (Catholic Cathedral ) and was struck by how people greeted each other standing in an adjacent seat, and liked the way that he priest said farewell to everyone at the door.
    Catholics rock!
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Feb '24 01:56
    @medullah said
    @divegeester

You actually made a very fair point - very reminiscent of the Mega churches on the east cost of America which are built on business as opposed to spiritual foundations.
    Those mega churches are everywhere.

There are a couple here in Phoenix who broadcast their service on local TV. At least they used to, not sure how popular they are today.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '24 08:57
    @medullah said
    @divegeester

You actually made a very fair point - very reminiscent of the Mega churches on the east cost of America which are built on business as opposed to spiritual foundations.
    My point was addressing the “but” in your post where you said you “were not a fan of big churches” BUT you were struck by the way people greeted each other.

To be clearer (as it seems I have to be with you to keep you on point); your macro opinion of ‘big churches” and all the issues which go along with them, is hardly excused by your observation of a few people greeting each other during your visit to a cathedral on your day out. I saw the same thing a work conference; people greeting each other.
  4. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    01 Feb '24 22:20
    @divegeester

You still go to business conferences? You are more sprightly than I had given you credit for.
  5. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    01 Feb '24 22:21
    @FMF

They did that day.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '24 22:47
    @medullah said
    @divegeester

You still go to business conferences? You are more sprightly than I had given you credit for.
    I also visit cathedrals and I don’t judge you for doing so.
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    02 Feb '24 06:52
    @mchill said
    I don't like church services (especially big ones) though I've been to quite a few, I don't like being coerced into shaking hands and saying hello to nearby strangers and dislike small talk, preferring instead spend time with a small group of bible study classmates that I'm familiar with. There is a (not so) subtle implication among today's many Christian denominations that if ...[text shortened]... urches portray to the public.

Is there really room for Christian introverts in today's churches?
    Absolutely.

There is a quotation from I believe St. Porphyrios where he talked about how a Christian hermit praying in his cell has a greater impact on the souls of the world than a preacher who has the ears of 80,000 people giving a moving sermon.

I will also say I am always hearing about quiet, and controlling your tongue are all wonderful virtues.

There is a place for the introvert who is more comfortable with quiet prayer and contemplation, and simply bettering themselves, and there is the place for the extrovert who is quite social. The prayers of the introvert assist the words and missionary work of the extrovert, and the prayers and works of the extrovert in organizing the Chrisitan community and being its mouthpiece also are beneficial to the introvert, IMO.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Feb '24 09:18
    @philokalia said
    The prayers of the introvert assist the words and missionary work of the extrovert, and the prayers and works of the extrovert in organizing the Chrisitan community and being its mouthpiece also are beneficial to the introvert, IMO.
    I don’t think there is any evidence to show that God is in the slightest interested in human attributes when it comes to praying, speaking or working for him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree