In response to

In response to "an atheist's pointless existence"...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
08 Aug 11
4 edits

What is the point of a theist's existence? So you get to appreciate appreciate "the glory of God" and what not, ok...but what is the objective point of that? What is the point of a god at all?

I argue that the theist's point to existing is no less contrived than the atheist's, it merely has an extra layer of onion skin. I'm glad I exist (as an atheist), I don't see an objective point to it (nor do I think I need one); and finally I think the value of my existence is no less (or no more) than a theist's.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Aug 11

Originally posted by Agerg
What is the point of a theist's existence? So you get to appreciate appreciate "the glory of God" and what not, ok...but what is the objective point of that? What is the point of a god at all?

I argue that the theist's point to existing is no less contrived than the atheist's, it merely has an extra layer of onion skin. I'm glad I exist (as an atheis ...[text shortened]... ; and finally I think the value of my existence is no less (or no more) than a theist's.
God made man in His own image to love Him. How can
you love Him when you don't even acknowledge Him?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Aug 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
Since all your god words come from a book written by men, to make those in charge build up larger and larger followings so they have political clout and just by pure co-incidence, puts men on a higher rung of the ladder than women 'A man is worth 50 sheckles, a woman 35'(from your bible), the whole thing has nothing to do with and got no visions from a god. It was all man made, the entire thing. Creative people can convince others easily enough, that has been proven time and time again. No god needed to make the christian faith, just creative people.

D

St. Peter's

Moves
08 Aug 11

I argue that the theist's point to existing is no less contrived than the atheist's, it merely has an extra layer of onion skin. I'm glad I exist (as an atheis ...[text shortened]... ; and finally I think the value of my existence is no less (or no more) than a theist's.
as a thiest I believe we are given free will, so our purpose is self directed.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Aug 11

Originally posted by Doward
How have you decided we have free will? How do you know it's self directed?

D

St. Peter's

Moves
08 Aug 11

Originally posted by sonhouse
by the most powerful tool in a human beings possesion...reason

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
08 Aug 11

Originally posted by Doward
An atheist could say they believe they have free will too (they just don't require it be a goft from some god), so their purpose is self directed. You're in no better position than the atheist in this case.

D

St. Peter's

Moves
09 Aug 11

An atheist could say they believe they have free will too (they just don't require it be a goft from some god), so their purpose is self directed. You're in no better position than the atheist in this case.
I never claimed to be

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
09 Aug 11

Love.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
09 Aug 11

I prefer to spread my love to the actual people and things that exist in the real world, rather than loving some imaginary bearded fairy in the sky you call 'god'.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Aug 11

Originally posted by sonhouse
For a man who has done so many wonderful things and who claims to be
so knowledgeable, you seem ignorant to me.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Aug 11

Originally posted by amannion
I prefer to spread my love to the actual people and things that exist in the real world, rather than loving some imaginary bearded fairy in the sky you call 'god'.
It is difficult for me to understand how someone could be so hard hearted
against God to just ignore His love.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
10 Aug 11

it's not love just because someone says so.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
10 Aug 11

Um, hello ... atheist here.
Why would I NOT ignore something I don't believe exists?
You may as well ask me why I ignore Harry Potter's love?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Aug 11

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
it's not love just because someone says so.
He demonsatrated His love.