If You Were Satan...

If You Were Satan...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
31 Aug 09
2 edits

The thread on Satan got me thinking about strategies Satan might employ in order to keep people from righteousness, i.e., following the will of God.

1) Deceive people into believing that it is futile to ever become righteous. That deviations from righteousness cannot be helped and are not the fault of the individual.

2) Deceive people into believing that their salvation is assured by simply professing belief and/or performing certain rituals. That righteousness is not required.

3) Deceive people into believing that they are righteous by virtue of having professed certain beliefs even if their actions are decidedly unrighteous.

What strategies might you employ if you were Satan?

rc

Moves
31 Aug 09

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
The thread on Satan got me thinking about strategies Satan might employ in order to keep people from righteousness, i.e., following the will of God.

1) Deceive people into believing that it is futile to ever become righteous. That deviations from righteousness cannot be helped and are not the fault of the individual.

2) Deceive people into believin ...[text shortened]... their actions are decidedly unrighteous.

it may be helpful if you would define 'the will of God'.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
31 Aug 09

2) Deceive people into believin ...[text shortened]... their actions are decidedly unrighteous.

Why are there 80 000 thousand sutras? Because there are 80 000 follies.
Satan will probably employ lots of different techniques..

T

Moves
31 Aug 09
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
it may be helpful if you would define 'the will of God'.
Doesn't have to be any single conception of what that may be. What's relevant is devising strategies to keep people from following it whatever it may be.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
31 Aug 09

I would encourage people to think for themselves.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
31 Aug 09

4th time. Do you sin? YES or NO?

F

Moves
31 Aug 09

You all argue like Satan is a god, an evil god. Is he a god?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
31 Aug 09

1) is standard Christian belief, except for the "fault" part. Somehow Christians think that even though "sin" is unavoidable, it's still somehow your fault for choosing to sin - even though you cannot choose not to sin.

Ah, I see. You're intentionally making Christianity seem to come from Satan. At least that's how it seems.

w

Moves
31 Aug 09

Originally posted by AThousandYoung

Ah, I see. You're intentionally making Christianity seem to come from Satan. At least that's how it seems.[/b]
Perhaps all other world religions point to God EXCEPT Christianity?

T

Moves
31 Aug 09

Originally posted by rwingett
I would encourage people to think for themselves.
I don't know if that would work. From my experience, atheists are no worse at following the teachings of Jesus than Christians.

T

Moves
31 Aug 09

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
1) is standard Christian belief, except for the "fault" part. Somehow Christians think that even though "sin" is unavoidable, it's still somehow your fault for choosing to sin - even though you cannot choose not to sin.

Ah, I see. You're intentionally making Christianity seem to come from Satan. At least that's how it seems.
I wouldn't put it that way. It's more that it's interesting how some of the teachings of Christianity are in line with strategies that Satan might employ to keep people from righteousness. It's also interesting to note that none of the teachings that I cited were advocated by Jesus and most go against what Jesus taught.

Noticed that you pointed out how incoherent #1 is. This is true of many of the beliefs of Christians.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
31 Aug 09

Decline writing a profile.

T

Moves
31 Aug 09

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Decline writing a profile.
Meaning?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
31 Aug 09

Originally posted by FabianFnas
You all argue like Satan is a god, an evil god. Is he a god?
Hi, Swede. Answer is 'no'. Lucifer is nothing more or less than the most intelligent, highest order of the fallen angelic creation.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
31 Aug 09

Meaning?
Think it through within the lighthearted context in which it was posted.