"If Person A..."

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Über-Nerd

Moves
12 May 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]"If Person A..."

If Person A believes that God exists and Person B believes in the person and work of Jesus Christ
for his or her salvation and eternal life, why are some members of the population from Person C to Person Z
threatened to the point of covert or overt hostility by the beliefs of Person A and/or Person B?[/b]
It is not the beliefs of A or B, but the attempt to proselytize, which C to Z find off-putting. If it just stayed at "I'm saved" C to Z would not take umbrage, but "I'm saved" all too often comes across as "You gotta get saved too or you're going to hell".

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
12 May 15

Originally posted by sonship
Because Christ is the Alpha and the Omega?
And Microsoft was the Chi and the Rho.

So what?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
12 May 15

[b]"If Person A..."

If Person A believes that God exists and Person B believes in the person and work of Jesus Christ
for his or her salvation and eternal life, why are some members of the population from Person C to Person Z
threatened to the point of covert or overt hostility by the beliefs of Person A and/or Person B?[/b]
They must be stupid to feel threatened by the absurd beliefs of A and B.

however if A and B try to impose their fairytale values on them ....

Über-Nerd

Moves
12 May 15

OP Footnotes:

1) The "population" in focus literally encompasses both "real world" and "online message board" communities of equal peers;
2) It observes ground rules of civility with a spectrum ranging from 'live and let live' tolerance to polite discourse to lively discussion;
3) All members of this population respect the volitional free will ...[text shortened]... rofile.
Thanks to each of you for your topic interest and thoughtful replies. Kind regards, Bob
In reply to item 4 on your list: I have never in my life been accosted "in the real world" by people peddling pamphlets and announcing "There is no God." I have been accosted countless times by the other sort. Yes, I know, they have a constitutional right to freedom of speech; but I have a constitutional right not to have anyone else's dogma foisted off on me, or on my children in the public schools (e.g. Creationism taught as science). If I wanted my children to think like RJH (I use the word "think" hyperbolically here), I'd send them to parochial schools.

This form of covert proselytism not a threat to me personally, but I find it annoying and pervasive enough to deserve a response. I hope this answers your question. No personal acrimony intended.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 May 15

Originally posted by moonbus
In reply to item 4 on your list: I have never in my life been accosted "in the real world" by people peddling pamphlets and announcing "There is no God." I have been accosted countless times by the other sort. Yes, I know, they have a constitutional right to freedom of speech; but I have a constitutional right not to have anyone else's dogma foisted off on m ...[text shortened]... enough to deserve a response. I hope this answers your question. No personal acrimony intended.
I do agree that a school setting is no place for religion. Yes, there should be a "separation of church and state". You want to know about religion, go to church. You want to be educated, go to school. There should be zero overlap.

Infidel

Moves
12 May 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
I do agree that a school setting is no place for religion. Yes, there should be a "separation of church and state". You want to know about religion, go to church. You want to be educated, go to school. There should be zero overlap.
Certainly schools should teach about the various religions that are a part of this world? As part of the cultural upbringing of children?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 May 15
2 edits

Originally posted by Great King Rat
Certainly schools should teach about the various religions that are a part of this world? As part of the cultural upbringing of children?
Well, sure, that's part of what used to be called "Social Studies" or "Humanities" when I was in school. Learning "about" them in school is fine, as long as no "preference" is shown. Just as learning about races and cultures is fine, as long as there is no "this is the right race" or "this is the right culture". Of course children should learn about the world they live in. This is part of the function of education. But proselytizing is not.

K

Germany

Moves
12 May 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
[b]"If Person A..."

for his or her salvation and eternal life, why are some members
of the population from Person C to Person Z
threatened to the point of covert or overt hostility by the beliefs of Person A and/or Person B?"[/b]
Have you personally experienced covert or overt hostility towards yourself because of your beliefs?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
12 May 15

Well, sure, that's part of what used to be called "Social Studies" or "Humanities" when I was in school. Learning "about" them in school is fine, as long as no "preference" is shown. Just as learning about races and cultures is fine, as long as there is no "this is the right race" or "this is the right culture". Of course children should learn about the world they live in. This is part of the function of education. But proselytizing is not.
I just gave Suzi a thumbs up !!!!!!! πŸ˜€

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 May 15
1 edit

Originally posted by wolfgang59
I just gave Suzi a thumbs up !!!!!!! πŸ˜€
And i gave her a thumbs down ! 😏

I also gave her a thumbs up for a later post ! 😏

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 May 15
2 edits

I agree with no proselytizing in school, but I also believe that schools should teach the controveries with evolution and the age of the earth. Please give me a thumbs up for that sweet Suzy, pretty please. πŸ˜‰

D

Moves
13 May 15

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 May 15
3 edits

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Suzianne clarified what she meant a few posts later. She meant no religious proselytizing in schools. 😏

HalleluYaHshua ! Praise the LORD!

What you say about American school children being required to recite the Pledge of Allegiance is not exactly the truth. If the parents object, then they are not required to recite it with the rest of the class.

It is ridiculous for the courts to be expected to restrict freedom of speech in schools by declaring a cultural norm of the use of one word as violation of a law that doesn't exist.

Infidel

Moves
13 May 15

Agreed.

Über-Nerd

Moves
13 May 15

The post that was quoted here has been removed
There should also be only secular holidays in America (Presidents' Day, Labor Day, Armistice Day etc.). America doesn't officially celebrate Easter, but does Christmas. So America is hypocritical. What's new?