If most men...

If most men...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
19 Oct 11
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
I guess you got it all figured out. However, I don't see it that way because
I fine it hard to believe mankind has been making such a big thing over a
Being for so long if that Being does not exist. I also need an explanation
for why I exist and how the universe came to be. Abiogenesis and evolution
just doesn't do it for me. Life seems to me way to matter to you anyway.
So, I think that settles that for the both of us. Don't you think?
Indeed, brother, indeed.

Why is it that we don't see RJH and sumydid hanging out in Atheist forums bashing their beliefs? Because we see it as a waste of our time because we are entirely convinced they are wrong. We wouldn't be any worse off visiting Santa Claus forums or Tooth Fairy forums and arrogantly scoffing at and debunking their beliefs. No, we would rather hang out in the spiritual forum where we belong, in order to discuss spiritual subjects and expand our knowledge.

So now the same question goes to the likes of you and yours, GF. Why even bother with us lesser-intelligent believers when you are so convinced we are wrong? Surely you are smart enough (afterall, your intellect towers over ours and we've figured this part out) to realize that we will not be changing our minds through your feeble efforts. So why hang out here and, essentially, scoff at and debunk others for believing in the equivalent of Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy? Surely you would be better off expanding your own knowledge in forums that discuss matters of truth and facts? Or is it that your knowledge can't be expanded because it's already maxed out, so, out of sheer boredom you hang out with the misguided, gullible, believers?

Please explain. What is your purpose here. We have our suspicions, but, it's best just to come straight from the source.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Oct 11

Originally posted by Suzianne
No, I was talking about leading a person away from God. To cause the person to deny God. To cause the person to reject Christ's redemptive salvation on the cross.

I'll get back to this in the morning, I'm pressed for time at the moment.
Okay, but that's a similiar idea, don't you think?

D
Dasa

Brisbane Qld

Moves
19 Oct 11

Originally posted by mikelom
... were intelligent enough to not self-deceive, because of their own fear of themselves, and recognise that there is no such thing as a God, then what would have been the historical alternative creationalist allusion in order to replace the current misnomer, do you think?

-m.
Atheism is synonymous with dishonest.

Atheism is presenting something from nothing.

Atheism is for persons with the cheating mentality.

Who have no courage to live spiritually.

Because to live spiritually one must control the mind and sense and this is the most difficult thing in the world to do.

Therefore the atheist is a coward and weakling - and has no conviction to live by truth or proper behaviour through weakness of heart.

Z

Moves
20 Oct 11

Originally posted by Dasa
Atheism is synonymous with dishonest.

Atheism is presenting something from nothing.

Atheism is for persons with the cheating mentality.

Who have no courage to live spiritually.

Because to live spiritually one must control the mind and sense and this is the most difficult thing in the world to do.

Therefore the atheist is a coward and weakling - and has no conviction to live by truth or proper behaviour through weakness of heart.
#2.
Gamma Ray Bursts

While cosmic rays can be harmful and even fatal, they're stopped just short of eradicating all life on Earth by our built-in defense system. This shield has given us just enough time, as a species, to develop and understand the concept of smugness, before the universe brings out the big guns.

Enter the gamma ray burst.

Or Intergalactic Hadouken.

The GRB is nothing less than a Death Star-style destruct-o-beam, but on a cosmic scale. It's caused by a particularly massive star collapsing into a black hole, which initiates a supernova explosion, which in turn emits twin energy flares in opposite directions. Each of these flares has energy levels that make even the supernovas that birthed them blush. A typical burst releases as much energy in a few seconds as our sun will in its entire 10 billion-year lifetime.

Getty
Maybe if the sun would apply itself a little more ...

How They Will Get Us:

If one happens in our galaxy -- basically anywhere in our galaxy -- it could effectively end us by boiling away most of the ozone layer and, following up for a two-hit combo, bombarding the Earth with insane amounts of UV radiation. Luckily, our current measuring equipment says these happen relatively rarely in the universe:

Just once a day.

The universe fires off drunken ion cannon shots as often as you poop.

Read more: 7 Horrible Ways The Universe Can Destroy Us Without Warning | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article_19117_7-horrible-ways-universe-can-destroy-us-without-warning_p2.html#ixzz1bJJHnPKC

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
20 Oct 11

He's just gonna argue that it was God that destroyed us, and not the universes' multiplexes, because we are all dishonest.

He's going to a kingdom above us all, so he really doesn't care about being incinerated or what not.

Additionally, I don't care if I am incinerated by an imploding/exploding star. I've had a great life so far, and will continue to do so until my end taketh me! 😉

-m.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Oct 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
I wouldn't know why, but it is quite common.

So maybe you would like to explain it further: why do you think God would punish someone more severely because they led someone else away from being Christian? Especially if they did so without knowing it or at least without knowing that it was wrong and what the consequences were?
It's a common theme throughout the Bible that one who causes another to sin gets punished more than the person who sinned. For their sin is greater, to cause another to sin when perhaps they would not have sinned without the other person's influence.

Not sure I buy the whole "if they did so without knowing it" or "without knowing it was wrong" etc. The sinner who convinces another to sin also has still sinned as well. He's starting on the negative side of the fence, and is in the wrong already. He may claim he's not, but he is. This makes the judge (in this case, God) a lot less likely to listen to his excuses.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Oct 11
2 edits

Originally posted by googlefudge
No Problem. But if you could properly read and then respond to this post (ill copy and paste
again here, I really wish this site had the ability to link to individual posts) that would be great.

[b]" I agree.
And as this didn't get noticed in another thread, and is directly relevant to this I'll repost this...

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/ elieve it because the evidence that should
exist if your god was real doesn't.
[/b]
I'm not getting into this discussion, simply because you're wrong, and that's good enough for me.

You're so wrong, in fact, you're not just wrong, but wrong in a completely epic way.

And by that, I mean any Christian can see that you're so obviously wrong, it's not worth much of a counter argument, or even a discussion.

I think the best you'll get out of Christians here on your points here is a rather blase "ok, whatever".

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Oct 11
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
Okay, but that's a similiar idea, don't you think?
Well, I dunno.

The Mosaic laws have a much less important role in showing Christians a model for a righteous life than they do for the Jews. Even the Ten Commandments are less important now than loving the Lord God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself, wouldn't you say? We've accepted a new covenant with God, but this also makes the sin of driving us from God even worse than before.

Edit: In fact, the sin of rejecting Christ is the only sin which cannot be redeemed by Christ's salvation. So this makes the sin of driving another from Christ even worse yet.

Cape Town

Moves
20 Oct 11

Not sure I buy the whole "if they did so without knowing it" or "without knowing it was wrong" etc. The sinner who convinces another to sin also has still sinned as well. He's starting on the negative side of the fence, and is in the wrong already. He may claim he's not, but he is. This makes the judge (in this case, God) a lot less likely to listen to his excuses.
What don't you buy? That we don't know we are wrong, or that not knowing is a valid excuse?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Oct 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
What don't you buy? That we don't know we are wrong, or that not knowing is a valid excuse?
I guess that not knowing is a valid excuse, much like the often repeated "ignorance of the law is no excuse". Rejecting a law, saying "it doesn't apply to me", will not save you from being punished for breaking it either. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here though. Rejecting God and Christ's salvation is the greater sin in the first place.

Having not yet died, I do not yet know what provision is made for those whose religious creeds run counter to Christianity. One likes to think that souls are taught about Christ, if they've never heard of Him, and then given the choice to accept or reject. I don't know, though, so I cannot say.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
20 Oct 11

Originally posted by Suzianne for those whose religious creeds run counter to Christianity. One likes to think that souls are taught about Christ, if they've never heard of Him, and then given the choice to accept or reject. I don't know, though, so I cannot say.[/b]

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
20 Oct 11

Do you really believe atheistic points of view are 'COUNTER' to christianity?

It's a case of 'couldn't care less' - not counter.

Where did you get the idea of 'counter' from?

Sounds dramatically defensive to me!

-m. 😉

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
20 Oct 11

Originally posted by sumydid
Indeed, brother, indeed.

Why is it that we don't see RJH and sumydid hanging out in Atheist forums bashing their beliefs? Because we see it as a waste of our time because we are entirely convinced they are wrong. We wouldn't be any worse off visiting Santa Claus forums or Tooth Fairy forums and arrogantly scoffing at and debunking their beliefs. No, we ...[text shortened]... rpose here. We have our suspicions, but, it's best just to come straight from the source.
If I might be so bold as to intrude at this point, it is perfectly possible to be interested in and willing to discuss the many and varied aspects of spirituality without becoming a card-carrying christian, or indeed follower of any other faith.

Personally, I find the "if you're not a believer why do you hang around here?" question to be a rather odious gambit. Despite your choice to avoid posting in what you amusingly term the 'Atheist forums', you are quite welcome to do so. If you would like to discuss your faith with other believers, may I respectfully suggest that this is not the right forum for you.

t

Moves
20 Oct 11

I'm not getting into this discussion, simply because you're wrong, and that's good enough for me.

You're so wrong, in fact, you're not just wrong, but wrong in a completely epic way.

And by that, I mean any Christian can see that you're so obviously wrong, it's not worth much of a counter argument, or even a discussion.

I think the best you'll get out of Christians here on your points here is a rather blase "ok, whatever".
How?

Would you have converted to Christianity if there were no Bible?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 Oct 11
1 edit

Well, I dunno.

The Mosaic laws have a much less important role in showing Christians a model for a righteous life than they do for the Jews. Even the Ten Commandments are less important now than loving the Lord God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself, wouldn't you say? We've accepted a new covenant with God, but this also makes the s ...[text shortened]... by Christ's salvation. So this makes the sin of driving another from Christ even worse yet.
True, but I was not referring to Moses laws, but to the Commandments
of God. You know, the ones God wrote in stone with His own finger.
Christ often referred to them, because they are to be obeyed by all
men, not just the Jews. Christ meant to write them also in our hearts.
Christ summed them up with His statements of the love of God and the
love of man.