If I ask?

If I ask?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Oct 21

@bigdogg said
A computer doesn't have consciousness. The comparison doesn't work.
What would consciousness change? Would your makeup be different, would your origin be any different, would anything I said change?

Über-Nerd

Moves
25 Oct 21

@kellyjay said
When speaking about life, is it designed, or is the cause a mindless process? Would this be a question about the truth of life, science, religion, or all of the above?
Science reveals patterns and regularities, but patterns and regularities are not necessarily or always indicative of intentions. Patterns and regularities occur through the repeated operation of naturalistic laws. For example, throw salt grains onto a metal plate, then draw a cello bow across the edge of the plate; the salt grains will arrange themselves into patterns -- but there is no design or intentionality in it, just a mindless but regular pattern.

Evidence of intention would necessary to prove design.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Oct 21

@moonbus said
Science reveals patterns and regularities, but patterns and regularities are not necessarily or always indicative of intentions. Patterns and regularities occur through the repeated operation of naturalistic laws. For example, throw salt grains onto a metal plate, then draw a cello bow across the edge of the plate; the salt grains will arrange themselves into patterns -- but ...[text shortened]... n it, just a mindless but regular pattern.

How do you tell the difference between something mindlessly done or design? Patterns wouldn’t necessarily do that as you point out, a set of instructions for a specific functional complex task would you automatically assume mindless?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
25 Oct 21

@bigdogg said
I don't see how we lose any free will if God was less elusive.
Anything that coerces a choice lessens our free (emphasis on free) will.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
25 Oct 21

@bigdogg said
None of this presents any problem whatsoever for free will.

My making choices according to who I am is the epitome of free will.
If God proved to you he was real, would you not consider that a coercement?

Would you still choose "not-God"?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Oct 21

@bigdogg said
I don't see how we lose any free will if God was less elusive.
Do you speed while driving knowing the police have set up a speed trap right in front of you?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Oct 21
5 edits

@moonbus said
Science reveals patterns and regularities, but patterns and regularities are not necessarily or always indicative of intentions. Patterns and regularities occur through the repeated operation of naturalistic laws. For example, throw salt grains onto a metal plate, then draw a cello bow across the edge of the plate; the salt grains will arrange themselves into patterns -- but ...[text shortened]... n it, just a mindless but regular pattern.

The criteria for intelligent design is more rigorous then just one thing. It is a combination of three things which all together are taken into account.

The "design inference" rigorously developed by Dr. William Dempski (mathematician, philosopher, theologian) considers a combination of matters which together occuring rule out other explanations.

The empirical strategy involves-
1.) contengency PLUS
2.) complexity PLUS
3.) specificity

Non-intelligent material causes are filtered out by these three combined eliminates explanations of necessity, pure chance, and nonintelligent causes.

The object under examination must not be contingent or explainable by natural law and by automatic processes. Ie like a salt crystal formation or snowflake formation.

In addition the object must show complexity showing it involves very low probability. The higher the complexity the lower the probability of chance being the origin.

Then finally specificity or specification . This means the patterns of improbability and contingent factors must be specified ahead of time and not fabricated after the fact.

Like if you draw a bulls eye around a dart that has been thrown against the side of a barn wall that is an arrangement made after the fact. If however the target's bull's eye was there before the throwing of the dart, that is NOT fabricating an effect after the fact.

Rigorous detection of intelligent causes involves all three aspects together.
I am gathering this information of a chapter on "DESIGN DETECTION" in Douglas Groothuis's book "Christian Apologetics". He is writing about William Dr. Dempski's Design Inference filtering method for eliminating natural unintelligent causes.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
25 Oct 21

@suzianne said
If God proved to you he was real, would you not consider that a coercement?

Would you still choose "not-God"?
I would not consider the mere change of belief to be coercion.

Coercion comes if God threatens punishment for doing, or not, certain things.

Coercion lessens freedom, but not free will.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
25 Oct 21

@kellyjay said
Do you speed while driving knowing the police have set up a speed trap right in front of you?
Yes, because I can always lose them! πŸ˜€

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Oct 21

@BigDogg
Not the cameras 😁

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Oct 21

@bigdogg said
I would not consider the mere change of belief to be coercion.

Coercion comes if God threatens punishment for doing, or not, certain things.

Coercion lessens freedom, but not free will.
Would you consider warning labels that tell you something is toxic because it warns you against drinking it when you find it appealing?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
26 Oct 21
1 edit

@kellyjay said
Would you consider warning labels that tell you something is toxic because it warns you against drinking it when you find it appealing?
Consider? That's easy. Yes.

In Europe, the packs of cigarettes have graphic pictures of rotten lungs on them, or so I've heard. People smoke them anyway.

Examples like this only underline the point that coercion doesn't remove freedom of will. People are stubborn, and often do what they want anyway.

In the Bible, didn't Satan rebel against God, despite knowing him well? He must have known he could not possibly win, and yet he still rebelled. By the arguments given in this thread, he should not have possessed sufficient free will to do so.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Oct 21

@bigdogg said
Consider? That's easy. Yes.

In Europe, the packs of cigarettes have graphic pictures of rotten lungs on them, or so I've heard. People smoke them anyway.

Examples like this only underline the point that coercion doesn't remove freedom of will. People are stubborn, and often do what they want anyway.

In the Bible, didn't Satan rebel against God, despite knowing him we ...[text shortened]... . By the arguments given in this thread, he should not have possessed sufficient free will to do so.
Doing something you know is wrong, despite the consequences, is acting with free will; doing something because you have no choice in the matter is not; one is by will, the other is a necessity will is not required. Water freezing into ice is not an act of will; it is necessary due to conditions that force it. Doing something despite the consequences because you think it is the right thing to do even if there are dire consequences is acting with one's will. Liking blue over the color of green isn't acting with a will; it states a preference; choosing to be kind over hateful is an act of will. The world is full of coercion; take the shot or lose your job, pay your taxes or go to jail, go the speed limit or pay the fine; murder, you can die or go to jail. Even if man or God says, this good do this, or this is bad, don't do it; that is for a cause more times than not; what can be debatable is it for a good cause or a bad one.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Oct 21

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Oct 21

@kellyjay removed their quoted post