How to be saved???

How to be saved???

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e
Black Mark

walking to and fro

Moves
28 Sep 07

Originally posted by no1marauder
The Mormons are in after all!
Thats not fair! I only get one wife:'(

L

Moves
28 Sep 07
2 edits

Originally posted by whodey
Christ said that he that sins becomes a slave of sin. However, he came to set us free from such sin. Now does this mean that the believer never sins? No, however, we need not continue in such or habitually practice such sin if Christ can set us free. I can also personally attest that sinning by in large looses its appeal. Sins that once seemed "fun" late in the sacrifice of Christ so that he may wash us of our sins and deliever us from our sins.
Ah, yes, your God's "perfect will". Let's see... He's sanctioned genocide and war crimes; He's basically a homophobic bigot; He doesn't much oppose the notion of slavery; He thinks women for the most part ought to keep quiet and be treated as chattel; He thinks it's just to visit punishment on a person for the transgressions of that person's forbears; He sees no need to prevent natural disasters that befall and cripple the interests of others even though He could (and even when these others are loyal to Him, like Job); He's so needy that He arranged the world such that people either lavish Him with attention or they suffer horribly. Yeah, He sounds like a real moral exemplar, a real God of love and life.

m

Moves
28 Sep 07

A lot of silly things I’ve heard preached could have been avoided if the poor soul preaching would have just looked up the meaning of a few words in a dictionary or looked at things in the context in which the verses they were preaching on were given.

Anyway my advice…don’t take anybody’s word for what the Bible says or what a scripture means. Become a Bible student and study it for yourself.

LemonJello: I haven't forgotten about you...you’re still on my prayer list. I'd like to see you end up preaching the Gospel someday. Wouldn’t that be something?🙂

L

Moves
29 Sep 07
4 edits

Originally posted by masscat
LemonJello: I haven't forgotten about you...you’re still on my prayer list. I'd like to see you end up preaching the Gospel someday. Wouldn’t that be something?🙂
That's excellent to hear I'm still on your prayer list. That was a while ago you put me on the list. How many times have you prayed for my soul?

I could see myself delivering a sermon on the Gospel. It might not be what you and your ilk get excited about though. There's stuff and story worth talking about in there; but I would feel sort of obligated to weed out what I think are the ridiculous and dubious parts and interpretations -- like all the God (as agent) and grand eschatology bits, stuff like that.

m

Moves
29 Sep 07

Originally posted by LemonJello
That's excellent to hear I'm still on your prayer list. That was a while ago you put me on the list. How many times have you prayed for my soul?

I could see myself delivering a sermon on the Gospel. It might not be what you and your ilk get excited about though. There's stuff and story worth talking about in there; but I would feel sort of obliga ...[text shortened]... d interpretations -- like all the God (as agent) and grand eschatology bits, stuff like that.
My dad was on people’s prayer list for decades before he got saved. As long as you are still breathing I have hope for you.

N

The sky

Moves
29 Sep 07

Originally posted by masscat
My dad was on people’s prayer list for decades before he got saved.
Do you think he was saved because of the prayers? Does that mean God could save anyone, even if they are not believers, but only does so if someone begs for them?

B

Moves
29 Sep 07

Funny no one decided to deal with my response to this question. Message 5. I guess its easier to ignore in light of the very stereotypical weak Christain responses...

N

The sky

Moves
29 Sep 07

Originally posted by Berzerko
Funny no one decided to deal with my response to this question.
Could it be because of this? "I tend not to view discussion forums as good venues for discussion (irony, i suppose) but if anyone want to offer me their thoughts, I am happy to listen. Private message me though okay?" It sounded to me like you didn't want a public discussion. I rarely respond privately to something written in a public forum, as that makes it impossible to continue the discussion with input from others who are interested.

B

Moves
29 Sep 07

Originally posted by Nordlys
Could it be because of this? "I tend not to view discussion forums as good venues for discussion (irony, i suppose) but if anyone want to offer me their thoughts, I am happy to listen. Private message me though okay?" It sounded to me like you didn't want a public discussion. I rarely respond privately to something written in a public forum, as that makes it impossible to continue the discussion with input from others who are interested.
Yep, it could be because of that. But I still thought that if people were looking for a debate of substance, rather than merely the easy feat of beating the typical Christian argument (which rarely appeals to anyone beyond Christianity) they would have came where the substance was.

N

The sky

Moves
29 Sep 07

Originally posted by Berzerko
Yep, it could be because of that. But I still thought that if people were looking for a debate of substance, rather than merely the easy feat of beating the typical Christian argument (which rarely appeals to anyone beyond Christianity) they would have came where the substance was.
For me, one reason why I didn't respond was that you didn't seem to want a public reply, the other reason was that I agree with your interpretation, so I didn't feel a need to discuss it. If I had wanted to get into a discussion about it, I'd probably have done it in Thread 77241, where Matthew 25 was brought up as well without discouraging public discussion.

Illinois

Moves
29 Sep 07

Originally posted by Kevin Mcfarland
Has anyone ever herd that you have to be baptized in water in the name of Jesus and then get the holly ghost to be saved? according to the bible?? These were the scriptures given John 3.5 matt 28.19 Acts2.36-39. Just trying to get some input on this? Maybe see what u bible guys have to say on this thanks 🙂 Kevin
(1) You must recognize your sinfulness before God: "Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned" (Rom. 5:12).

(2) You must recognize that your sin has caused a separation between you and God: "But your iniquities have separated you from your God; and your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear" (Isaiah 59:2).

(3) You must believe that Jesus is the only way to God: "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me" (John 14:6).

(4) You must ask Jesus to forgive you of your sins because Jesus has the authority to forgive you of your sins: "And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth'" (Matt. 28:18).

- Jesus told you to ask Him for your requests: "If you ask anything in My name, I will do it." (John 14:14).

- Jesus is the one who forgives sins: "But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins....' He said to the paralytic, "I tell you, get up, take your mat and go home"'" (Mark 2:10-11).

- This last "step" is called receiving Jesus. John 1:12 says, "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God."

(5) You must turn away from your sin: "Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent" (Acts 17:30). "Produce fruit in keeping with repentance" (Matt. 3:8).

---------------------------------

If you want to become a Christian you must accept Jesus as your Savior. You must pray to Him and ask Him to forgive you of your sins and come into your heart.

He will. He loves you. Salvation is only a prayer of faith away.

w

Moves
29 Sep 07

Originally posted by LemonJello
Ah, yes, your God's "perfect will". Let's see... He's sanctioned genocide and war crimes; He's basically a homophobic bigot; He doesn't much oppose the notion of slavery; He thinks women for the most part ought to keep quiet and be treated as chattel; He thinks it's just to visit punishment on a person for the transgressions of that person's forbears; ...[text shortened]... er horribly. Yeah, He sounds like a real moral exemplar, a real God of love and life.
Don't forget the finale. He maliciously threw the sins of the world on his only begotten Son as he was being slowly tortured to death.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
29 Sep 07

Don't forget the finale. He maliciously threw the sins of the world on his only begotten Son as he was being slowly tortured to death.
Why do you suppose this was the only or best way to do this?

Nemesio

w

Moves
29 Sep 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Nemesio
Why do you suppose this was the only or best way to do this?

Nemesio
You tell me. I suppose God was trying to live up to his monster image, no?

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
29 Sep 07

You tell me. I suppose God was trying to live up to his monster image, no?
I figured that, since you've become sarcastic and nasty on this forum, you wouldn't have an answer
to this seemingly important question.

Nemesio