how much does your local spiritual leader earn?

how much does your local spiritual leader earn?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
08 Jan 07

have you ever wondered how much your local spiritual leader earns?

can you find out?

tell us here.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
08 Jan 07

Originally posted by flexmore

can you find out?

tell us here.
There's a cardboard placard guy who yells about God a bit. He earns enough for his daily bread and wine.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
08 Jan 07

can you find out?

tell us here.
That's a good question. A reputable church, usually has a personnel committee that establishes the pastor's salary. It is or should be published by the church for all members to see and approve of.

l

London

Moves
08 Jan 07

can you find out?

tell us here.
http://www.diversityworking.com/career/Clergy/Roman_Catholic_priests/Catholic_Priest.html

l

London

Moves
08 Jan 07

Also, look at:

http://www.pulpitandpew.duke.edu/billhowardarticle.pdf

Btw, all of this only deals with diocesan priests. Priests in religious orders don't actually get a salary -- they only receive a maximum spending budget for personal expenses (clothes, toiletries etc.).

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
09 Jan 07

Originally posted by lucifershammer
http://www.diversityworking.com/career/Clergy/Roman_Catholic_priests/Catholic_Priest.html
I'd say this discussion is accurate.

However, (diocesesan) priests also have very, very few expenses. Generally, the rectory expenses
(electric, heat, telephone, television) come out of the collection plate. Similarly, the car (a
requirement for most priests) which serves to travel to hospitals and funeral homes is also paid
for in full. At least in Pittsburgh, almost every parish has either a paid cook or has volunteers who
attend to the priests' food needs. In the same vein, there is almost always a housekeeping staff.
Finally, most get an educational stipend for books and serials (where I work, there are at the
subscriptions to theological societies).

So, the 15k-18k salary is after all of the sundry expenses that most of us have to attend to
(post-tax, I might add).

Nemesio

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
09 Jan 07

Originally posted by Nemesio

However, (diocesesan) priests also have very, very few expenses. Generally, the rectory expenses
(electric, heat, telephone, television) come out of the collection plate. Similarly, the car (a
requirement for most priests) which serves to travel to hospitals and funeral homes is also paid
for in full. At least i ...[text shortened]... f the sundry expenses that most of us have to attend to
(post-tax, I might add).

Nemesio
Wow, your lot get cooks and housekeeping?!

Better not tell my minister that. Or, more to the point, his wife!

l

London

Moves
09 Jan 07

for in full. At least i ...[text shortened]... f the sundry expenses that most of us have to attend to
(post-tax, I might add).

Nemesio
Generally, the rectory expenses (electric, heat, telephone, television) come out of the collection plate.

Actually, everything comes out of the collection plate.

So, the 15k-18k salary is after all of the sundry expenses that most of us have to attend to (post-tax, I might add).

Where does it say "post-tax"?

KM

Moves
15 Jan 07

can you find out?

tell us here.
He hides it from us The pastor lives in a huge house brand new BMWS and nice clothes. He says 10% tithe and 5% offering of ur income before taxes or u burn for ever in hell. Well pretty close to burn in hell forever Oh and there is about 175 pepole so u do the math.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
15 Jan 07

(post-tax, I might add).

Nemesio
Generally, the rectory expenses
(electric, heat, telephone, television) come out of the collection plate.

Oh, ok. None of my business then.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
15 Jan 07

Originally posted by Kevin Mcfarland
He hides it from us The pastor lives in a huge house brand new BMWS and nice clothes. He says 10% tithe and 5% offering of ur income before taxes or u burn for ever in hell. Well pretty close to burn in hell forever Oh and there is about 175 pepole so u do the math.
Church offerings go for more than just the pastor's salary. You have to pay the other staff. You have to pay the utilities. Music for the choir cost money Newsletters, mailings, food all cost money.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
15 Jan 07

Originally posted by kirksey957
Church offerings go for more than just the pastor's salary. You have to pay the other staff. You have to pay the utilities. Music for the choir cost money Newsletters, mailings, food all cost money.
Don't forget the church hoes.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
15 Jan 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Costs money to keep that soil well turned.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
15 Jan 07
7 edits

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
And the pope's tricked out SUV with that custom made enclosure with 4-foot wide windows that he uses to go flossing around.

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/religion/popes/john-paul-ii/popemobile-sm.jpg

I thought it was a joke the first time I saw it, but it's the real deal. One really amusing thing about that picture in particular is the absurd constrast between the 300hp engine in the SUV carrying the pope, and the < 1hp dude walking beside it not breaking a sweat. (Which would Jesus do?) People act surprised about the Church's mishandling of funds, but it's been paraded before their very eyes for years.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
15 Jan 07

So, the 15k-18k salary is after all of the sundry expenses that most of us have to attend to (post-tax, I might add).

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Where does it say "post-tax"?
When I pay my lighting bill, it is after taxes are taken out of my wages. So, I may
earn 100 dollars a week, but I take home 75 dollars (say), of which 15 dollars
may go to my lighting bill, 10 to my water, 10 to my gas, 5 to food, and 15 to my
mortgage. This leaves me 10 dollars.

When the priest's lighting bill gets paid, it comes out of the collection plate before it
is taxed. And, so, the priest may make 50 dollars to my 100, and, because he falls
in a lower tax bracket, may end up with 35, he has no expenses after that, making
his job far more lucrative than mine.

One has to recognize that the 15k-18k salary is basically all surplus, because almost
every conceivable living expense is attended to (pre-tax) by the offertory.

And, diocesan priests (unlike most ordered priests and religious) do not take a vow of
poverty (as is often, and incorrectly, believed by both believers and non-believers).
The idea that priests are living a life of moderate living is dubious at best (again,
excluding ordered priests, for whom I tend to have a greater respect). Yes, they
will never be breaking the big time with ferraris and motor boats, but they live better
than 60-70% of Americans, that's for sure.

Nemesio