He 3:4

He 3:4

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r

Moves
06 Nov 16
1 edit

Originally posted by divegeester
Bump for Roigam.

I notice that you always seem to disappear when challenged. A bit like your colleague Galveston75 used to.
thump your bump
what I do with my time is my business.
I have no obligation to deal with biased false statements.

r

Moves
06 Nov 16

What a load of twaddle Robbie. Your organisation has a decades long history of false prophesies, predictions, whatever you want to call them. Sorry, but if you are going to set yourself up as the true and only church of God on earth, the sole holders of god's truth , not to mention your personal claims that you are awesome and beautiful and what not... ...[text shortened]... come out with.

Pants down on the Internet in one single post. A record even for you Robbie.
All those prophesies, predictions, ec. are hearsay.
What have you read personally in our publications about prophesies, predictions etc.?
Have you any evidence at all of your incorrect claim?

F

Moves
06 Nov 16

Originally posted by roigam
Can you show some of these "predictions, etc." in print somewhere?
Just a couple of examples, then. Predictions of the world (as we know it) ending in 1925: The Watchtower, November 1922, The Watchtower, April 1923. Predictions of the world (as we know it) ending in 1975: The Watchtower, April 1968, Awake, October 1968, and The Watchtower, August 1968.

r

Moves
14 Nov 16

Originally posted by FMF
Just a couple of examples, then. Predictions of the world (as we know it) ending in 1925: The Watchtower, November 1922, The Watchtower, April 1923. Predictions of the world (as we know it) ending in 1975: The Watchtower, April 1968, Awake, October 1968, and The Watchtower, August 1968.
As far as the very early publications you cite, they are no longer available so I expect you are citing from some 3rd source and not your personal reading.
As far as the 1975 item, I explained in another thread that the JW's never foretold that date. It was anticipated wrongly by enthusiastic members who did on an individual basis say they thought 1975 would be the end of this unsuccessful system of things.
The official JW publication, the Watchtower did correct what the members mistakenly said.
Awake 1995, June 22, p. 9:
Bible Students, known since 1931 as Jehovah’s Witnesses, also .... expected .... that the year 1925 would see the fulfillment of marvelous Bible prophecies. They ..... surmised .....that at that time the earthly resurrection would begin, bringing back faithful men of old, such as Abraham, David, and Daniel. More recently, many Witnesses ..... conjectured ..... that events associated with the beginning of Christ’s Millennial Reign .... might ... start to take place in 1975. Their anticipation was based on the understanding that the seventh millennium of human history would begin then.
These erroneous views .... did not mean that God’s promises were wrong, that he had made a mistake. By no means! The mistakes or misconceptions, as in the case of first-century Christians, were due to a failure to heed Jesus’ caution, ‘You do not know the time.’ The wrong conclusions were due, not to malice or to unfaithfulness to Christ, but to ..... a fervent desire ..... to realize the fulfillment of God’s promises in their own time.
Consequently, A. H. Macmillan explained later: “I learned that we should admit our mistakes and continue searching God’s Word for more enlightenment. No matter what adjustments we would have to make from time to time in our views, that would not change the gracious provision of the ransom and God’s promise of eternal life.”
Indeed, God’s promises can be trusted! It is ..... humans who are prone to error. Therefore, true Christians will maintain a waiting attitude in obedience to Jesus’ command. They will keep awake and ready for Christ’s inevitable coming as God’s Executioner. They will not allow false predictions to dull their senses and cause them to ignore the true warning of the world’s end.
And in a 1980 WT:
5 In modern times such eagerness, commendable in itself, has led to attempts at setting dates for the desired liberation from the suffering and troubles that are the lot of persons throughout the earth. With the appearance of the book Life Everlasting—in Freedom of the Sons of God, and its comments as to how appropriate it would be for the millennial reign of Christ to parallel the seventh millennium of man’s existence, considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. There were statements made then, and thereafter, stressing that this was only a possibility. Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility. It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated.
6 In its issue of July 15, 1976, The Watchtower, commenting on the inadvisability of setting our sights on a certain date, stated: “If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises.” In saying “anyone,” The Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah’s Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centered on that date.

See also Proclaimers of God's Kingdom p. 104

Sorry, it is a bit of reading but, if you want the truth, there it is.

At any rate, our actions as Christians conform to
(Matthew 24:42) Keep on the watch, therefore, because you do not know on what day your Lord is coming.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
16 Nov 16
1 edit

thump your bump
what I do with my time is my business.
I have no obligation to deal with biased false statements.
If you want your ideas to be taken at all seriously in this forum, then yes you do have an obligation to not duck out of every conversation as soon as you get challenged on them.

Ps you sound just like galveston75 by the way.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
16 Nov 16
1 edit

As far as the very early publications you cite, they are no longer available so I expect you are citing from some 3rd source and not your personal reading.
As far as the 1975 item, I explained in another thread that the JW's never foretold that date. It was anticipated wrongly by enthusiastic members who did on an individual basis say they thought 1975 would ...[text shortened]... ew 24:42) Keep on the watch, therefore, because you do not know on what day your Lord is coming.
These people and the publication in which they wrote represented your religion at the time and they were wrong. They were false prophets. Hiding behind excuses about good intentions, no malice, over eagerness and even admitting "mistakes" does not change this fact.

The bible says that those who's prophesies do not come true are false prophets. It's plain and simple.

See you when you next decide to turn up from your busy life.

🙂

F

Moves
16 Nov 16

As far as the 1975 item, I explained in another thread that the JW's never foretold that date. It was anticipated wrongly by enthusiastic members who did on an individual basis say they thought 1975 would be the end of this unsuccessful system of things.
The official JW publication, the Watchtower did correct what the members mistakenly said.
Predictions of the world (as we know it) ending in 1975 were in "The official JW publication, the Watchtower" - The Watchtower, April 1968, Awake, October 1968, and The Watchtower, August 1968.

F

Moves
16 Nov 16

So your stance is that the predictions of the world (as we know it) ending in 1925 made in The Watchtower, November 1922, The Watchtower, April 1923, do not exist and never happened?

F

Moves
16 Nov 16

Can you show some of these "predictions, etc." in print somewhere?
I have.

When you posted this...

The official JW publication, the Watchtower did correct what the members mistakenly said. Awake 1995, June 22, p. 9: Bible Students, known since 1931 as Jehovah’s Witnesses, also .... expected .... that the year 1925 would see the fulfillment of marvelous Bible prophecies. They ..... surmised .....that at that time the earthly resurrection would begin, bringing back faithful men of old, such as Abraham, David, and Daniel. More recently, many Witnesses ..... conjectured ..... that events associated with the beginning of Christ’s Millennial Reign .... might ... start to take place in 1975. Their anticipation was based on the understanding that the seventh millennium of human history would begin then. These erroneous views .... did not mean that God’s promises were wrong, that he had made a mistake. By no means! The mistakes or misconceptions, as in the case of first-century Christians, were due to a failure to heed Jesus’ caution, ‘You do not know the time.’ The wrong conclusions were due, not to malice or to unfaithfulness to Christ, but to ..... a fervent desire ..... to realize the fulfillment of God’s promises in their own time.

... you did so in order to admit (as it were) that JWs had got their "predictions, forecasts, prognostications, prognoses" ~ based on their understanding of the Bible ~ wrong, is that so? Just to be clear. That's what you intended to admit by referring to 'Awake 1995, June 22, p. 9', have I understood you correctly?

r

Moves
17 Nov 16

If you want your ideas to be taken at all seriously in this forum, then yes you do have an obligation to not duck out of every conversation as soon as you get challenged on them.

Ps you sound just like galveston75 by the way.
You sound like a broken record or a man with a paper hat, take your choice.
I suspect you are a practicer of casuistry (def. #1 American Heritage College Dictionary)
by choice or lineage.
btw, I am part duck.
I let a lot of things "roll off my back".

r

Moves
17 Nov 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I have.

When you posted this...

[b]The official JW publication, the Watchtower did correct what the members mistakenly said. Awake 1995, June 22, p. 9: Bible Students, known since 1931 as Jehovah’s Witnesses, also .... expected .... that the year 1925 would see the fulfillment of marvelous Bible prophecies. They ..... surmised .....that at that time the ...[text shortened]... intended to admit by referring to 'Awake 1995, June 22, p. 9', have I understood you correctly?
If you read it, it is not the JW's understanding. They stick to what the Bible says,
It is the understanding of individuals who are or were members of the JW's.

F

Moves
17 Nov 16

If you read it, it is not the JW's understanding. They stick to what the Bible says,
It is the understanding of individuals who are or were members of the JW's.
The predictions were published by the JW organisation in their official publication.

F

Moves
17 Nov 16
1 edit

Here is what you posted.

"As far as the 1975 item, I explained in another thread that the JW's never foretold that date. It was anticipated wrongly by enthusiastic members who did on an individual basis say they thought 1975 would be the end of this unsuccessful system of things. The official JW publication, the Watchtower did correct what the members mistakenly said. Awake 1995, June 22, p. 9: Bible Students, known since 1931 as Jehovah’s Witnesses, also expected that the year 1925 would see the fulfillment of marvelous Bible prophecies. They surmised that at that time the earthly resurrection would begin, bringing back faithful men of old, such as Abraham, David, and Daniel. More recently, many Witnesses conjectured that events associated with the beginning of Christ’s Millennial Reign might start to take place in 1975. Their anticipation was based on the understanding that the seventh millennium of human history would begin then. These erroneous views did not mean that God’s promises were wrong, that he had made a mistake. By no means! The mistakes or misconceptions, as in the case of first-century Christians, were due to a failure to heed Jesus’ caution, ‘You do not know the time.’ The wrong conclusions were due, not to malice or to unfaithfulness to Christ, but to a fervent desire to realize the fulfillment of God’s promises in their own time.
Consequently, A. H. Macmillan explained later: “I learned that we should admit our mistakes and continue searching God’s Word for more enlightenment. No matter what adjustments we would have to make from time to time in our views, that would not change the gracious provision of the ransom and God’s promise of eternal life.” Indeed, God’s promises can be trusted! It is humans who are prone to error. Therefore, true Christians will maintain a waiting attitude in obedience to Jesus’ command. They will keep awake and ready for Christ’s inevitable coming as God’s Executioner. They will not allow false predictions to dull their senses and cause them to ignore the true warning of the world’s end. And in a 1980 WT: 5 In modern times such eagerness, commendable in itself, has led to attempts at setting dates for the desired liberation from the suffering and troubles that are the lot of persons throughout the earth. With the appearance of the book Life Everlasting—in Freedom of the Sons of God, and its comments as to how appropriate it would be for the millennial reign of Christ to parallel the seventh millennium of man’s existence, considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. There were statements made then, and thereafter, stressing that this was only a possibility. Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility. It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated. 6 In its issue of July 15, 1976, The Watchtower, commenting on the inadvisability of setting our sights on a certain date, stated: “If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises.” In saying “anyone,” The Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah’s Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centered on that date."

All the bold bits above - in what you posted - are references to the incorrect prophesies made by the JWs.

r

Moves
18 Nov 16

Originally posted by FMF
The predictions were published by the JW organisation in their official publication.
Where and when?

F

Moves
18 Nov 16

Where and when?
I already told you the editions.