Moves
    11 Apr '19 15:422 edits

Removed by poster

2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Apr '19 15:59
    @dj2becker removed their quoted post
    Why is this OP about “hate speech” in the spirituality forum?
  3. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    11 Apr '19 16:37
    @divegeester said
    i got to read the op,
    it was about an australian rugby player getting canned for his comments...
    even had a link to the story...

how interesting, and odd, and weird, and two more adjectives...
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 Apr '19 16:45
    @rookie54 said
    i got to read the op,

Were those adjectives tedious and dull?
  5. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    11 Apr '19 16:58
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Were those adjectives tedious and dull?
    thank you dr thesaurus!!!
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Apr '19 17:11
    @rookie54 said
    i got to read the op,

It’s in the debates forum now.
  7. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    11 Apr '19 17:26
    @dj2becker said
    It’s in the debates forum now.
    this makes sense...

how odd...
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '19 23:35
    @rookie54 said
    i got to read the op,
    Israel Folau is entitled to believe what he wants and I don't think the government should be able to punish him for believing or saying in public that "Hell" awaits homosexuals [as long as it is not done in a way that incites violence].

But the notion of 'freedom of speech' pertains to the relationship between governments and citizens and does not trump one's contractual obligations to some other entity, like an employer or contractor or an apolitical governing body that oversees things like entertainment and sport.

Folau is contracted to Rugby Australia and he knew beforehand - and had been warned about - what obligations and restrictions this entailed and how these obligations applied to his public behaviour as long as he wanted to play rugby under the auspices of Rugby Australia.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '19 23:37
    @divegeester said
    I think discussion of faith and freedom of speech belongs here on this forum.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Apr '19 04:54
    A thread titled "Hate Speech" has no OP. I feel like this is some kind of performance art.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Apr '19 06:031 edit
    @fmf said
    Israel Folau is entitled to believe what he wants and I don't think the government should be able to punish him for believing or saying in public that "Hell" awaits homosexuals [as long as it is not done in a way that incites violence].

But the notion of 'freedom of speech' pertains to the relationship between governments and citizens and does not trump one's contractual oblig ...[text shortened]... ed to his public behaviour as long as he wanted to play rugby under the auspices of Rugby Australia.
    Do you believe it’s ok for Rugby Australia to stipulate what it’s employees are and aren’t allowed to believe and which opinions they are or aren’t allowed to voice?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '19 06:27
    @vivify said
    A thread titled "Hate Speech" has no OP. I feel like this is some kind of performance art.
    I think the topic was perhaps moved to the Debates Forum so that it would maybe generate "hate speech".
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Apr '19 07:46
    @fmf said
    I think the topic was perhaps moved to the Debates Forum so that it would maybe generate "hate speech".
    Thanks for your opinions.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '19 07:562 edits
    @divegeester said
    I don't see how Israel Folau's words can be characterized as "hate speech"; misanthropic, yes perhaps, but not "hate speech". I think for the speech to be truly "hateful", it would have to incite some consequence that was substantially detrimental or damaging to the target. I don't think we have a right NOT to be outraged or NOT to be offended by someone else's beliefs or stated opinions.

There have been numerous people here, over the years, who have expressed their belief that people like me and Ghost of a Duke are going to be tormented for eternity in burning flames for eternity after we die [what Israel Folau means by "Hell", presumably] but I don't see this kind of thing as being "hate speech" directed at us.

I think in many instances, branding ideas and opinions as "hate speech" is an attempt to silence dissent by poisoning the well. I think branding the expression of certain ideas as "hate speech" in many cases is an assault on "free speech".
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Apr '19 02:16
    @fmf said
    I think in many instances, branding ideas and opinions as "hate speech" is an attempt to silence dissent by poisoning the well. I think branding the expression of certain ideas as "hate speech" in many cases is an assault on "free speech".
    SecondSon, I wrote the above sentence - on a recent thread - when defending Australian rugby player Israel Folau's expressed religious beliefs about "Hell" and the accusations of "hate speech" he has had to endure.

Do you agree with it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree