Hail, Oh Infallible Science!

Hail, Oh Infallible Science!

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
29 Jun 06

Originally posted by twhitehead
You have corrected my opinion of the definition of the word science. I admit I was wrong. However usage of the word in the title of the thread refers to a specific set of sciences usually called the 'natural sciences' and this does not include Theology. Theology is also not studied via the 'scientific method.' Also, although some may say 'the science of T ...[text shortened]... tural sciences and not the social sciences or whatever other sciences are out there.
the thread refers to a specific set of sciences usually called the 'natural sciences' and this does not include Theology.
True.

Theology is also not studied via the 'scientific method.'
Three of the four steps of the scientific method are employed in systematic theology, which itself has its own methods.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
29 Jun 06

"I would like two eggs over easy with toast on the side and a glass of orange juice. Thank you."

- Einstein

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
29 Jun 06

Originally posted by telerion
"I would like two eggs over easy with toast on the side and a glass of orange juice. Thank you."

- Einstein
Which side did he break his eggs on? Could be a clue there...

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
29 Jun 06

Originally posted by telerion

- Einstein
I think you might be reading into things a bit much. I fail to see anything God-related in that quote.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
29 Jun 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
I think you might be reading into things a bit much. I fail to see anything God-related in that quote.
Who cares? Einstein said it! That's all that matters really.

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
29 Jun 06

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
29 Jun 06

Originally posted by sasquatch672
I'm shocked by your post. Shocked.
Don't beat around the bush. Tell us how you really feel!

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
29 Jun 06

For instance, we see God's faithfulness as He perpetuates the laws of nature and preserves the universe for His intended results. These same laws also indicate His genius, organization and efficiences.
Closet Deist, huh?

K
Chess Samurai

Yes

Moves
29 Jun 06

For instance, we see God's faithfulness as He perpetuates the laws of nature and preserves the universe for His intended results. These same laws also indicate His genius, organization and efficiences.
Prove that it is, in fact, God's faithfullness...

You cannot. Religion is faith. It is not fact.

Stop trying to PROVE to everyone that you are right and admit that it cannot be proven and that you believe because you have faith and that is all that matters to you and you will be a happier person.

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
29 Jun 06

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
29 Jun 06
1 edit

Let me add to the chorus of voices that finds it ridiculous to the point of offense that so-called religious people try to prove the existence of God. I believe in God. Why? I do. That's all I have to say, and that's going to have to be good enough for everybody. (Not that anyone at all is interested in what I believe.) But by trying to prove the would cease your utterly ridiculous and ham-handed attempts to prove God exists.
I agree with your point. Trying to prove the uniqueness of a supernatural thing with the natural is silly (except in the case of the proof for Muffy)*. Either you believe or you don't, and it's pretty much arbitrary what you pick (geography has a lot to do with it).

I would say that your analogies to oxygen and China are a little misleading because they equivocate on the word "see." Perhaps we could use something like "detect empirically". Sure, it's a bit more cumbersome, but I think it more accurately captures the essence of the conflict. Also it is completely harmonious with your point.

* - maybe with something really incredible, like the stuff written in the Old Testament, I'd be more inclined to believe.

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
29 Jun 06
1 edit

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
29 Jun 06

I'm good with that. Okay - I cannot empirically detect oxygen or China, but I know they're there. Similarly, I cannot empirically detect God - but I know He's there. What form is "He"? We'll know in the next world. Very good Tel. I think we've come to a confluence of our collective cranial matter.
You could empirically detect oxygen and China if you really wanted to.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
29 Jun 06
1 edit

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
You could empirically detect oxygen and China if you really wanted to.
George Foreman's Lean Mean Empirical Detection Machine,

as recommended by Chuck Norris.

d

Moves
29 Jun 06

This forum should be boarded up on public health grounds.