Guitarists that have a

Guitarists that have a "spiritual" impact

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
22 Jan 22

@suzianne said
If you want to talk pianists, I'd recommend posting in the Culture Forum, and leave this thread for the purpose it was posted.
Yes! Guitarists!

[If the thread WERE about "they get me off" pianists, I would be mentioning Bobo Stenson, Keith Jarrett, John Taylor and Lars Jansonn]

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Jan 22

@suzianne said
You quoted my link. It's right there.

Same 11-digit YouTube ID.
But when I post it, it just shows up as a bunch of letters and numbers with no video or way to click anything to watch the video.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Jan 22
7 edits

I saw Jerry Garcia's band live at Filmore East.
It was very good. I went to lots of rock concerts in those days in the late 60s.

But can you imagine a group of young men so misereaablre that they would call themselves "The Grateful Dead"?

Grateful for being DEAD!

Interestingly when the concert finished the audience kept begging them to play more. They were clearly tired. Phil Graham the owner of Filmore East came out on stage with a check. Jerry Carcia (a guitarist who I enjoyed hearing play) turn his back as Graham tried to get him to take a little more money to play on.

Then the bass guitarist cussed into the microphone trying to tell the crowd that they were in fact blanking TIRED. But the crowd wouldn't let up demanding more.

So FINALLY, the Greatful Dead came up to the mic and sang a harmonious little song acapella with sweet Southern style harmony. And here is the lyrics to the song they sang. I'll never forget it (as close as I can recall it).

"Lay down your head, lay down to take a rest.
Lay your head down upon your Savior's breast.
I love you.
But Jesus loves you best.
So I bid you goodnight, goodnight, goodnight."

With that the crowd was finally subdued and the concert of the Grateful Dead
came to a sweet and satisfying conclusion that night.

True story.
And praise the Lord Jesus, maybe He had a sense of humor that night.
But we got the Gospel.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
22 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
How did you do that? I post from an iPhone.
Use something other than your phone.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
22 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
But when I post it, it just shows up as a bunch of letters and numbers with no video or way to click anything to watch the video.
Well, that's because we linked it differently.

Look at your link, then look at my link and use your powers of discernment to tell the difference.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
22 Jan 22
1 edit

@sonship said
They were clearly tired. Phil Graham the owner of Filmore East came out on stage with a check. Jerry Carcia turn his back as Graham tried to get him to take a little more money to play on.
You saw someone try to give Garcia some more money to play on?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
22 Jan 22
1 edit

Sorry, duplicate post.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Jan 22
2 edits

@divegeester

That's what I said.

Maybe you thought the Grateful Dead played at Filmore for free?
We had to pay to get in there.

They at least had to break even and pay the expenses of travel from San Fransisco to New York City.

So to keep the crowd happy Phil Graham came out on stage with a CHECK in his hand waving it at the turned back of the band's leader.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Jan 22
1 edit

Divegeester,

I don't know what you did in England but we had to pay usually to see these guys play. Woodstock was a big exception.

And, oh, it was Frank Zappa who said "We're only in it for the money."

F

Moves
22 Jan 22
1 edit

@sonship said
So to keep the crowd happy Phil Graham came out on stage with a CHECK in his hand waving it at the turned back of the band's leader.
His name was Bill Graham, not Phil, and it was a prank/stunt pulled numerous times to freak out/amuse all the people tripping on LSD. Graham had a really good relationship with the band and it was not one that had to be sustained with cheques being handed over on stage. To think you've spent 50 years thinking it was something other than a bit of far-out larking about... ha!

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
22 Jan 22

@fmf said
Yes! Guitarists!

[If the thread WERE about "they get me off" pianists, I would be mentioning Bobo Stenson, Keith Jarrett, John Taylor and Lars Jansonn]
Your tastes are more eclectic than mine.

Of those you mentioned, I only recognize Keith Jarrett. I know him mainly from several Miles Davis albums. I understand he had a couple of strokes in 2018, which left him unable to use his left hand. That would be among my worst nightmares.

I'm doing it again. Carry on.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
22 Jan 22

@FMF
Well the best rock guitarist for me is Buckethead. He has stats, a bio and a clean lifestyle let alone his originality and collaborations combined with his flawless technique definately put him up there. ( You tube vid on why Buckethead is the G.O.A.T sums it up)
But two chords can be very spiritual sounding.
I like guitarists that redefine how guitars are played. Isaac Brock from Modest Mouse uses a whammy bar to bend harmonics he plays in an absolutely original style. And his lyrics are superb and often mention spiritual themes
But spiritual guitar playing?
If you have timing and a little nuance then I reckons the it's upto the listener on one hand. Otherwise it could be said that because spirituality is supposed to unifying then a popular song like Jeff Buckley version of hallelujah is a spiritual piece of guitar playing ( and singing) 🙃

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Jan 22
3 edits

@FMF

That is stupid, except for the correction of Bill from Phil.

So you think it was all a stunt for acid heads?
I was there. Probably you weren't.

And as for the last 50 years of my life. I'd rather be dead then spend ten minutes with your kind of mind. That is unless God came through to show mercy on it.

F

Moves
22 Jan 22

@suzianne said
Your tastes are more eclectic than mine.
I like jazz a lot, more than any other category of music, but, being a bit nonplussed by the classic jazz superstars in terms of continuing to spend time consuming their stuff, and having a liking for maverick fusions of jazz with other genres etc., I don’t see myself as a bona-fide jazzbo.

F

Moves
22 Jan 22

@sonship said
So you think it was all a stunt for acid heads? I was there. Probably you weren't.
I've probably read almost every book that's been written about the band in that era.

Meanwhile, you have trouble remembering things that happened on this forum, including things you said, even only six months previously, sonship, so you can perhaps heat & crumble your 50-year old memories and put them in the bowl of your bong - and smoke it.