1. S. Korea
    Moves
    24 May '19 08:10
    @fmf said
    You say the notion of seeing oneself as living in "God's country" is something couched in "poetic, personal language".

Do you not think it reveals a kind of Christian narcissism and not-very-Christian jingoism too, by which I mean, out there in the real world of what is said from pulpits and by purveyors of retail religion [i.e. putting romanticism and poetry aside]?

With ...[text shortened]... logy on the table is concerned, isn't it rather akin to the counting of angels on the head of a pin?
    I imagine that similar sentiments occur among all people who are religious. I particularly imagine that many Iranians, Iraqis, and Saudis have feelings about their own countries which are home to many holy sites. I imagine that Jews and Hindus also have these sorts of feelings...

I think that these feelings certainly can have a dark, jingoistic side, right... But I think it is more common that these sentiments are just normal, fine expressions that just esteem their own country and show affection to it.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.
    --

I don't get the elevating consumerism part, by the way. I do not think that nationalism and consumerism go together that well. I also do not think that most religions promote consumerism. Quite the opposite, religion oftne promotes poverty and introspection.
  2. S. Korea
    Moves
    24 May '19 08:12
    @divegeester said
    So basically all your pontificating on this topic is just empty rhetoric.

It remains out there that you only regard America, your country of origin and South Korea, your country of residence as being those qualified by your “poetic” license to be “God’s Countries”
    If some Iranian Muslims referred to their country as 'God's country' with a smile... I would not argue the point.

Good for them. Good for them.

I will take it to mean that it is beautiful and blessed, and that an abundance of good things are happening there, and I will not doubt the narrative.

I think this is a satisfactorily libearl response, Dive. Do I pass your smell test?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 May '19 08:28
    @philokalia said
    If some Iranian Muslims referred to their country as 'God's country' with a smile... I would not argue the point.
    So you have no criteria whatsoever for deciding if a country is “God’s country”?

You also don’t single out America as being the sole “God’s country” as stated in the thread opening post?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 May '19 08:31
    @philokalia said
    I don't get the elevating consumerism part, by the way.
    You mentioned earlier that American Christians feel blessed by God because of the "amazing" prosperity of their country. This prosperity plays itself out in terms of materialism, consumerism and even military power, does it not?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 May '19 08:36
    @philokalia said
    I think that these feelings certainly can have a dark, jingoistic side, right... But I think it is more common that these sentiments are just normal, fine expressions that just esteem their own country and show affection to it.
    Regardless of whether it has a dark side, it's still a kind of Christian narcissism, though, don't you think? You know... people with their own 'personal Jesus' living in a country that they believe, more or less, has its own 'personal Jesus' who supposedly doesn't see other countries the same way. Narcissistic jingoism, something like that. It risks being a bit 'un-Christian', I would have thought.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 May '19 08:41
    @philokalia said
    I imagine that similar sentiments occur among all people who are religious. I particularly imagine that many Iranians, Iraqis, and Saudis have feelings about their own countries which are home to many holy sites.
    I am not discussing it with Iranians, Iraqis, and Saudis, though. I am discussing it here with Americans. The OP was written by an American. It mentions America. You have explicitly justified the belief of many Americans that they live in "God's country". I will wait for some Iranians, Iraqis, and Saudis to come along. But in the meantime, I am interested in the claims that Americans like you make.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 May '19 13:35
    @divegeester said
    What are you saying “yes” to in my post?
    I am saying yes (meaning I agree) to the two sentences of yours that I quoted.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 May '19 16:47
    @suzianne said
    I am saying yes (meaning I agree) to the two sentences of yours that I quoted.
    thank for clarifying
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 May '19 20:04
    @sonship said
    @galveston75
    Where do you live?

MD. Just kidding you. Texas is a fine state.
    Yep. It's God's state!!!! Just kidding y'all.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 May '19 20:37
    @galveston75 said
    Yep. It's God's state!!!! Just kidding y'all.
    Don’t worry, no one takes you seriously 😀
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 May '19 21:57
    @divegeester said
    Don’t worry, no one takes you seriously 😀
    And they do you? Funniest thing I've heard all week. Thanks buddy!!
  12. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    31 May '19 05:31
    @galveston75 Psalm 2 comes to mind when thinking of nations

Manny
  13. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    01 Jun '19 06:46
    @galveston75 said
    Just wanting to see the opinions here on God and country? In this country, the good ole USA, many believe this is God's country and he has blessed it above all others. I live in Texas and that opinion is even stronger here. Like to hear any thoughts on this.....
    Sorry, but I think this is utter rubbish. GOD created the heavens and the earth, because of this, he can work his miracles in Antarctica, Moscow, Jerusalem, Montreal or the far side of the Andromeda galaxy with equal effectiveness and ease.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    01 Jun '19 20:07
    @galveston75 said
    Just wanting to see the opinions here on God and country? In this country, the good ole USA, many believe this is God's country and he has blessed it above all others. I live in Texas and that opinion is even stronger here. Like to hear any thoughts on this.....
    But, would you really?

As in, like to hear the thoughts of others?
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    07 Jun '19 01:50
    @menace71 said
    @galveston75 Psalm 2 comes to mind when thinking of nations

Manny
    Yes it does. Good post. God has no nations as these scripture states.

1 "Why do the nations conspire and the peoples plot in vain?
    2 The kings of the earth rise up and the rulers band together against the LORD and against his anointed, saying,
    3 “Let us break their chains and throw off their shackles.”
    4 The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them.
    5 He rebukes them in his anger and terrifies them in his wrath, saying,
    6 “I have installed my king on Zion, my holy mountain.”
    7 I will proclaim the LORD’s decree: He said to me, “You are my son; today I have become your father.
    8 Ask me, and I will make the nations your inheritance, the ends of the earth your possession.
    9 You will break them with a rod of iron ; you will dash them to pieces like pottery.”
    10 Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth.
    11 Serve the LORD with fear and celebrate his rule with trembling.
    12 Kiss his son, or he will be angry and your way will lead to your destruction, for his wrath can flare up in a moment. Blessed are all who take refuge in him."

Just a side comment..... Why is the word lord written two different ways here? One is Lord and the other is LORD.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree