God or Dog

God or Dog

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maryland

Moves
22 May 10

If I pray to god or my dog, the success rate is about the same. How do theists explain this?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
22 May 10

Originally posted by 667joe
If I pray to god or my dog, the success rate is about the same. How do theists explain this?
God doesn't listen to your prayers, whereas your dog is ineffectual in doing anything about the words you say to him because he doesn't understand them.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
22 May 10

Obviously you need to pray backwards to the dog.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
22 May 10

Actually you can acheive a higher success rate with dogs depending upon the prayer. As an example:

Oh please [name of dog], I want to take some dog for a walkies

I'm sure said dog will answer your prayer by insanely running around wagging it's tail in some effort to converge upon the door to outside.

Maryland

Moves
22 May 10

Come to think of it, if I pray to Robbie Carrobie, results are about the same!

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
22 May 10

Given the backward nature of what passes for "human" on this planet I would have to say Dog.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
22 May 10

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
God doesn't listen to your prayers, whereas your dog is ineffectual in doing anything about the words you say to him because he doesn't understand them.
Why doesn't God listen to his prayers?

Cape Town

Moves
22 May 10

I think the best answer a theist could give is that you are measuring success by the wrong yardstick. You consider a prayer to be a success when whatever you were requesting is miraculously given to you. Most theists will tell you that they do not expect God to act in this way nor claim that he does.
The more interesting question then is why to theists pray, and for those that pray in the manner you describe (as in asking for things), what do they expect in return.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
22 May 10

Originally posted by twhitehead
I think the best answer a theist could give is that you are measuring success by the wrong yardstick. You consider a prayer to be a success when whatever you were requesting is miraculously given to you. Most theists will tell you that they do not expect God to act in this way nor claim that he does.
The more interesting question then is why to theists ...[text shortened]... e that pray in the manner you describe (as in asking for things), what do they expect in return.
And I still say "praying" to Dog is a good way to go.
Consider the nature of the average housepet- the humble dog.
Is there not a lot we could learn from their ways?

I realizing I'm mixing metaphors here , but hey, there is no thought police...😏

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
23 May 10

Originally posted by karoly aczel
And I still say "praying" to Dog is a good way to go.
Consider the nature of the average housepet- the humble dog.
Is there not a lot we could learn from their ways?

I realizing I'm mixing metaphors here , but hey, there is no thought police...😏
but hey, there is no thought police
That depends on whether one believes in Bible God or not! (which I assume you don't) 😛

w

Moves
23 May 10

God doesn't listen to people who pray to their dogs.

Maryland

Moves
23 May 10

Originally posted by whodey
God doesn't listen to people who pray to their dogs.
How do you know?

w

Moves
23 May 10
1 edit

How do you know?
Lets just say its a hunch. 😀

From scripture I can tell you that, although there is no magical formula for answers to prayers, I will say that there are things that can nullify your prayers. Here is a taste.

1. Wrong time to answer prayer. Ecclesiastes 3:1, 11

2. Unrepentant sin. 1 Peter 3:12

3. Unforgiveness. Matthew 5:23-24

4. To answer your prayer would mean to bring you harm ultimately. James 4:3

5. There is something better for you. Jeremiah 29:11 or 1Corinthians 2:9

But perhaps in your case, Luke 4:12 is more appropriate as Christ says, "You must not put the Lord your God to the test".

Maryland

Moves
23 May 10

Originally posted by whodey
Lets just say its a hunch. 😀

From scripture I can tell you that, although there is no magical formula for answers to prayers, I will say that there are things that can nullify your prayers. Here is a taste.

1. Wrong time to answer prayer. Ecclesiastes 3:1, 11

2. Unrepentant sin. 1 Peter 3:12

3. Unforgiveness. Matthew 5:23-24

4. To a ...[text shortened]... ke 4:12 is more appropriate as Christ says, "You must not put the Lord your God to the test".
Probably because it is not likely god will pass the test.

F

Moves
23 May 10

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
Obviously you need to pray backwards to the dog.
Yarp! Yarp!