God Condoned Chattel Slavery

God Condoned Chattel Slavery

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
26 Mar 18

Originally posted by @fmf
What claptrap. There is still ~ to this day ~ the atrocity of humans owning humans as chattel for things like sex-trafficking and sweatshops. Dylan's song throws no light on this at all. Citing his lyrics is just smug claptrap. You and SecondSon need to grow up.
Excuse me? I was responding to a song. Perhaps YOU need to grow up, or at least stop with this need you have to one-up EVERYbody.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
26 Mar 18

Quoting Dylan lyrics is smarmy Christian prattle.
Take it up with him, Forum-King.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
26 Mar 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Freaky believes neither, so I guess he lacks the genius you infer, hey?
Maybe you realize you've been played, maybe not. Probably not.

You see, you don't see how it grinds on you that there are people that actually know the God you deny exists. The inference being that we see you, but you can't see us. You hear, but you don't. You see, and are blind.

Jesus loves you. Rail against it all you want, but that won't change the truth. Jesus lives.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
26 Mar 18

Originally posted by @suzianne
I heard a blues version of this and it was fantastic.

First time I heard it, I believe, was on Dylan's Biograph album, a triple CD album of his more well-known stuff.
I remember hearing Slow Train Comming some thirty years ago, before CD's, then later Gonna Serve Somebody. I thought they were both from the same era. It was rumored that Dylan had gotten saved.

Either way, Dylan nailed it. One is either serving in the Kingdom of Light, or in the kingdom of darkness.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
26 Mar 18

Quoting Dylan lyrics is smarmy Christian prattle.
Struck a nerve in you didn't it?

F

Moves
26 Mar 18

Originally posted by @secondson
Struck a nerve in you didn't it?
No. Not at all. I think you are making a bit of a fool of yourself. You are in complete denial about what that text from Leviticus clearly means. And quoting some lyrics from a pop song to help define what "slave" means is about at as facile as you can be.

Moves
26 Mar 18
1 edit

Maybe you realize you've been played, maybe not. Probably not.

You see, you don't see how it grinds on you that there are people that actually know the God you deny exists. The inference being that we see you, but you can't see us. You hear, but you don't. You see, and are blind.

Jesus loves you. Rail against it all you want, but that won't change the truth. Jesus lives.
Freaky has posted many (many) times about his belief in a flat Earth and the non-existence of gravity. Do I believe he actually believes that? The verdict is out on that one, and he is certainly at times ambiguous in his words. But he certainly isn't 'playing' anyone.

Does it grind on you that I know the God you believe in 'doesn't' exist? (Or that I yawn my way through most of your posts).

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
26 Mar 18

Freaky has posted many (many) times about his belief in a flat Earth and the non-existence of gravity. Do I believe he actually believes that? The verdict is out on that one, and he is certainly at times ambiguous in his words. But he certainly isn't 'playing' anyone.

Does it grind on you that I know the God you believe in 'doesn't' exist? (Or that I yawn my way through most of your posts).
Your penchant for accuracy is waning.
What I have said is that the entirety of evidence for a globe rests upon false information, and that anything actually measurable indicates a plane of undetermined span.

Carry on.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
26 Mar 18

Missed your post.

God doesn't, and neither do I, but the world is full of slaves.

You may be an ambassador to England or France
You may like to gamble, you might like to dance
You may be the heavyweight champion of the world
You may be a socialite with a long string of pearls

But you're gonna have to serve somebody, yes
Indeed you're gonna ha ...[text shortened]... it may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But you're gonna have to serve somebody

Bob Dylan.
What on Earth has a song by Bob Dylan got to do with you denying the scriptures, as you recently put it to me Lemon Lime, err I mean SecondSon, sorry.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
27 Mar 18

No. Not at all. I think you are making a bit of a fool of yourself. You are in complete denial about what that text from Leviticus clearly means. And quoting some lyrics from a pop song to help define what "slave" means is about at as facile as you can be.
It does strike a nerve in you apparently. And you missed the point. Pasteing the song wasn't for the purpose of defining what "slave" means at all. We all know what slave means.

No. The meaning of the song is defining who is a slave. We're all serving somebody or something. That's the idea.

For example; you appear to be a slave to your own intellect. If it weren't for the internet and google you probably would know much at all. Your knowledge and understanding about spirituality is limited by your physical senses.

As Jesus said, you must be born again, otherwise you can't enter into the realm of the Spirit of God, which is accessed through faith in Jesus Christ.

Until then you're a slave to your own intellect and physical senses.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
27 Mar 18

"Does it grind on you that I know the God you believe in 'doesn't' exist?"

Yes. But not like you think it does.

T

Moves
27 Mar 18
4 edits

Originally posted by @suzianne
And yet, the lyrics are on point.

We all have to "serve" someone, or something. That makes us all technically "slaves".

However, in a discussion of traditional slavery, especially as experienced in the United States, and/or as experienced in Egypt/Canaan, I don't disagree that it might be a bit "fatuous" or "trite". "A bit of a red herring"? Not so much.
We all have to "serve" someone, or something. That makes us all technically "slaves".

No doubt there were those who owned chattel slaves who "justified" it to themselves by engaging in sophistry of this sort.

Just as there are Christians who similarly "justify" God being depicted as clearly and unambiguously condoning chattel slavery in Leviticus 25:44-46 to themselves. In doing so they trivialize, nay deny, the darkness - the utter depravity - that is chattel slavery.

Matthew 6
22“The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light. 23“But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!

Luke 11
34“The eye is the lamp of your body; when your eye is clear, your whole body also is full of light; but when it is bad, your body also is full of darkness. 35“Then watch out that the light in you is not darkness. 36“If therefore your whole body is full of light, with no dark part in it, it will be wholly illumined, as when the lamp illumines you with its rays.”

F

Moves
27 Mar 18

It does strike a nerve in you apparently. And you missed the point. Pasteing the song wasn't for the purpose of defining what "slave" means at all. We all know what slave means.

No. The meaning of the song is defining who is a slave. We're all serving somebody or something. That's the idea.

For example; you appear to be a slave to your own in ...[text shortened]... h faith in Jesus Christ.

Until then you're a slave to your own intellect and physical senses.
This is just prattle.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
27 Mar 18

This is just prattle.
What you mean is it's too much for your intellect to fathom.

As far as you can tell you're confined to your physical perceptions and intellectual cognitions, and so to you everything else is prattle.

You are bound by them. A slave, a servant to them.

F

Moves
27 Mar 18

What you mean is it's too much for your intellect to fathom.

As far as you can tell you're confined to your physical perceptions and intellectual cognitions, and so to you everything else is prattle.

You are bound by them. A slave, a servant to them.
No. Your superstitious notions do not cause any kind of problem for my intellect.