Gay marraige? What would God say?

Gay marraige? What would God say?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
09 May 05

Originally posted by Coletti
Any would mean less than or equal to all. Since all can not be less than all, than any does not mean all all the time.
From the definition in question, does it follow that if there exists an opinion which a person does not hold and of which that person is intolerant, then that person is a bigot?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
09 May 05
2 edits

😀 🙄 😵 😲 😀 😀 😵

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
09 May 05

Originally posted by Coletti
But I would not be thereby be requesting all of the beers on tap - only the one or two. The question is a request for a beer. And the answer is that some of the beers, one glass, and limited to the selection of those on tap will be acceptable. But please don't give me 30 glasses of beer if that is all the kinds of beers on tap.
This is irrelevant. No beer is requested by the answer. The answer merely points out that all the beers on tap have a particular property: the property of being fine or acceptable. This is why in the answer above the term 'any' is correctly translated into first-order logic by a universal quantifier.

l

London

Moves
09 May 05

Originally posted by bbarr
It would be a mistake to think of Zen as a doctrinal system. There are core values shared by the vast majority of Zen practitioners, but moral questions are not answered from a Zen perspective by reference to some abstract principle. In this way, the normative aspect of Zen is more akin to Aristotelian virtue theory than, say, consequentialist or deontologic ...[text shortened]... ot interested in Catholicism: they mistake the finger pointing at the moon for the moon itself.
Meaning what, exactly?

Whether one thinks of Zen as a method or a system, it must hold to certain axiomatic/doctrinal principles. Perhaps murder is too specific. In any case, one should be able to formulate a set of principles that would be immediately rejected by Zen simply on account of being in opposition to its own principles.

l

London

Moves
09 May 05

From the OED:

[b]bigot
:

[a. F. bigot, of unknown origin: see below.]

A. n.

1. a. A hypocritical professor of religion, a hypocrite. b. A superstitious adherent of religion.

1598 SPEGHT Chaucer, Bigin, bigot, superstitious hypocrite [1602 adds or hypocriticall woman]. 1653 URQUHART Rabelais I. xl, He is no bigot or hypocrit ...[text shortened]... efinition 'intolerant of the views of others' captures merely the descriptive component.[/b]
[/b]
What's the normative component of this definition?

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
09 May 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Meaning what, exactly?

Whether one thinks of Zen as a method or a system, it must hold to certain axiomatic/doctrinal principles. Perhaps murder is too specific. In any case, one should be able to formulate a set of principles that would be immediately rejected by Zen simply on account of being in opposition to its own principles.
What part of the following don't you understand?:

There are core values shared by the vast majority of Zen practitioners, but moral questions are not answered from a Zen perspective by reference to some abstract principle.

Zen is not a system of thought, it is a way of being in the world.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
09 May 05

What's the normative component of this definition?
Do you not know what the term 'normative' means?

l

London

Moves
09 May 05

Do you not know what the term 'normative' means?
nor·ma·tive ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nôrm-tv)
adj.
Of, relating to, or prescribing a norm or standard: normative grammar.
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Assuming I haven't understood what the term means, what is the normative component of the definition you provided?

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
09 May 05

nor·ma·tive ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nôrm-tv)
adj.
Of, relating to, or prescribing a norm or standard: normative grammar.
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Assuming I haven't understood what the term means, what is the normative component of the definition you provided?
Re-read the definition above, and look for terms of approbation and or praise. When you find these, you will have found the normative component of the definition. Look especially for those normative components that are epistemological in character.

l

London

Moves
09 May 05

What part of the following don't you understand?:

[b]There are core values shared by the vast majority of Zen practitioners, but moral questions are not answered from a Zen perspective by reference to some abstract principle.

Zen is not a system of thought, it is a way of being in the world. [/b]
Your reply can either mean:

1. Moral questions are not answered from a Zen perspective.
2. Moral questions are answered from a Zen perspective, but not using some abstract principle.

Which one is it?

What does "way of being in the world" mean?

l

London

Moves
09 May 05

Re-read the definition above, and look for terms of approbation and or praise. When you find these, you will have found the normative component of the definition. Look especially for those normative components that are epistemological in character.
Let me see if I understand you correctly.

"An astronaut is a person who goes to outer space. Astronauts have to undergo years of training."

The first sentence is normative; the second is descriptive. Correct?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
09 May 05
1 edit

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

One entry found for bigot.

Main Entry: big·ot
Pronunciation: 'bi-g&t
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French, hypocrite, bigot
: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices
- big·ot·ed /-g&-t&d/ adjective
- big·ot·ed·ly adverb

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
09 May 05

One entry found for deontology.

Main Entry: de·on·tol·o·gy
Pronunciation: "dE-"än-'tä-l&-jE
: the theory or study of moral obligation
- de·on·to·log·i·cal /"dE-"än-t&-'lä-ji-k&l/ adjective
- de·on·tol·o·gist /"dE-"än-'tä-l&-jist/ noun

l

London

Moves
09 May 05
1 edit

Originally posted by ivanhoe

One entry found for deontology.

Main Entry: de·on·tol·o·gy
Pronunciation: "dE-"än-'tä-l&-jE
: the theory or study of moral obligation
- de·on·to·log·i·cal /"dE-"än-t&-'lä-j ...[text shortened]... djective
- de·on·tol·o·gist /"dE-"än-'tä-l&-jist/ noun

I think what Bennett was trying to say is that a deontological theory holds that actions have moral values independent of consequences ("The means justify the ends"?). Consequentialism, I take it, holds that the moral value of an action lies in its consequence ("The end justifies the means" ). I wonder how the latter is different from pragmatism, if my understanding is correct.

EDIT: $%@#! Why does ;-) always appear for " )???

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
09 May 05

I think what Bennett was trying to say is that a deontological theory holds that actions have moral values independent of consequences ("The means justify the ends"?). Consequentialism, I take it, holds that the moral value of an action lies in its consequence ("The end justifies the means" ). I wonder how the latter is different from pragmatism, if my understanding is correct.

EDIT: $%@#! Why does ;-) always appear for " )???

We'll have to wait and see. What bothers me most is that Bbarr almost always places himself above the other in discussions. Very Un-Zen ......