Futile Atheism

Futile Atheism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

j

Moves
30 Apr 10
1 edit

Originally posted by FabianFnas
According to some fundamentalists the definition of an atheist is: "Someone who doesn't believe as I do."

When you write "pervasiveness of God" and "rejection of Him", then who is He, who is your God? Define it or fail! Or does your "God" include every god there is?

When you non-atheists have so many mutually exlusive opinions of what and who god is Atheism", as you called this thread, is therefore not a good way to describe atheism.
===============================
According to some fundamentalists the definition of an atheist is: "Someone who doesn't believe as I do."
=================================

I keep it rather simple. An Atheist is someone who does not believe in the existence of God. No problem. That communicates with me.

I keep trying to determine if I ever had such a belief. I think I may have been some kind of Deist or Agnostic years ago.

When you write "pervasiveness of God" and "rejection of Him", then who is He, who is your God? Define it or fail! Or does your "God" include every god there is?
================================

Lately I have like this definition. "God is one for Whom a greater cannot be imagined."

But don't get me and Freaky altogether confused. I don't want to tarnish his reputation.

================================
When you non-atheists have so many mutually exlusive opinions of what and who god is, then I must say that atheists are more stringent in their belief. "Futile Atheism", as you called this thread, is therefore not a good way to describe atheism.
=================================

I don't know why Freaky started a thread pushing on Atheists. They are plenty willing to fight us Theists without provoking them.

As a Theist, I just believe in one more higher being then you do. (At least one that I know of).

Don't you believe that a man is in some sense a higher being than a Dolphin or Chimp ? I believe in one more higher being, God.

And Jesus is really really hard to ignore. No one was ever more absolute for this belief in God. That He rose from the dead, to me, is entirely believable, all things considered - given the things He did and spoke.

I find Jesus Christ believable.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
30 Apr 10

Originally posted by jaywill
[b]=====================================
But 'which is best' in regards to what what one would like to be true has no bearing on what may or may not be true.
======================================

Exactly. What may be the TRUTH one may LIKE to be true. Thier liking it is not the determining factor. I agree.

========================== ...[text shortened]... iner details but it is true non-the less.
[/b]
Exactly. What may be the TRUTH one may LIKE to be true. Thier liking it is not the determining factor. I agree
The point I was trying to make is that even if what may be true is to our *dislking* our wishing that it be like something else is fruitless. Ie: you would like it to be true that you don't cease to exist, presumably you like being capable of holding thoughts or perceiving that which surrounds you and cannot imagine what it would be like for this to terminate forever. A belief in/longing for heaven/afterlife accomodates this.

In spite of what you would like to be true however, it need not be the case that such a thing exists at all. It need not be the case that all good deeds are rewarded, and likewise that bad deeds are punished, It need not be the case there exists a being that loves us all (more so than it loves houseflies), and etc...

Hey, Yul Brenner looked good bald.
I don't!

At least there is great love involved usually, from the mom to her child.

Where's the love in this [b]amino acid
accident scenario ?

You mean my origin was just from "A Mean Old Acid"? Get it? - amino acid ??[/b]
I get it! 🙂...to counter your earlier question though; how is the question of "where is the love?" relevant? Again just because it isn't as nice as they scenario you'd like doesn't have any bearing on its veracity.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
30 Apr 10

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
To underscore the pervasiveness of God, the Spirituality forum is chock full of them and their many, many inquiries. Though armed with a belief system specifically based on a rejection of Him, they persist in their efforts to find Him.

In torment, the most-asked question: Where in hell is God?
To underscore the pervasiveness of Santa Claus, the Spirituality forum is chock full of them and their many,many inquiries. Though armed with a belief system specifically based on a rejection of Santa Claus, they persist in their efforts to find Santa Claus.
In torment, the most-asked question: Where in hell is Santa Claus ?

1. Atheists do not believe in fairy tales

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
30 Apr 10

Originally posted by FabianFnas

When you non-atheists have so many mutually exlusive opinions of what and who god is ...[text shortened]... Atheism", as you called this thread, is therefore not a good way to describe atheism.
So what of the fundamental atheist? To him, am I an anti-atheist? A-atheist?

He's that same Person you're hoping doesn't exist, the One you'd rather not have to answer to at the end of your life.

When you non-atheists have so many mutually exlusive opinions of what and who god is, then I must say that atheists are more stringent in their belief.
I would rather characterize it as 'one size fits all.'

"Futile Atheism", as you called this thread, is therefore not a good way to describe atheism.
Really? What is the useful end of atheism, exactly, if there be no God? Don't chip away with incidentals, give what you consider to be the useful end of atheism.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
30 Apr 10

Originally posted by caissad4
To underscore the pervasiveness of Santa Claus, the Spirituality forum is chock full of them and their many,many inquiries. Though armed with a belief system specifically based on a rejection of Santa Claus, they persist in their efforts to find Santa Claus.
In torment, the most-asked question: Where in hell is Santa Claus ?

1. Atheists do not believe in fairy tales
Original.

Now, where is that Santa Claus forum, again?

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
30 Apr 10
1 edit

So what of the fundamental atheist? To him, am I an anti-atheist? A-atheist?

When you write "pervasiveness of God" and "rejection of Him", then who is He, who is your God? Define it or fail! Or does your "God" include every god there is th incidentals, give what you consider to be the useful [b]end of atheism.[/b]
what you consider to be the useful [b]end of atheism.[/b]
Recast that question in terms of any of a collection of things you do not believe in, ie:

what you consider to be the useful end of not believing in Santa Claus.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
30 Apr 10

To underscore the pervasiveness of God, the Spirituality forum is chock full of them and their many, many inquiries. Though armed with a belief system specifically based on a rejection of Him, they persist in their efforts to find Him.

For the second time today I find myself siding with theists! Yuk!

As I see it, atheism is a statement of faith - the atheist says, does he not, 'I believe there is no god'? It cannot be proven that there is no god, or there wouldn't be any savvy theists, and we can all see that there clearly are. Again I say, the only logical choice is to disbelieve everything unproven.

And should there turn out to be a god? If leading my life as best as I am able is not enough for him, he can bite me!

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
30 Apr 10

Amazing how Christians in the Spirituality forum feel they need to define themselves in terms of atheism.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
30 Apr 10

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
For the second time today I find myself siding with theists! Yuk!

As I see it, atheism is a statement of faith - the atheist says, does he not, 'I believe there is no god'? It cannot be proven that there is no god, or there wouldn't be any savvy theists, and we can all see that there clearly are. Again I say, the only logical choice is to d ...[text shortened]... t to be a god? If leading my life as best as I am able is not enough for him, he can bite me!
But we 'atheists', in general, don't affirm the "non-existence' of God. That is a position thrust upon us by theists. We simply don't believe in any gods posited by others (or those we ourselves could dream up)

Why don't I call myself an agnostic? because the extent of my unwillingness to retain an open mind on such things as gods or other supernatural entities is beyond the scope of 'agnosticism'.

That, again, doesn't mean I believe they don't exist; I merely see no reason to take the idea seriously, and acknowledge that it isn't impossible some mysterious entity exists in a mysterious dimension somewhere else.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
30 Apr 10

Well, no. But moving on -- do you believe in zero and infinity?

N

The sky

Moves
30 Apr 10

Original.

Now, where is that Santa Claus forum, again?
And while we are at it, where's the God forum?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
30 Apr 10

Originally posted by Agerg
But we 'atheists', in general, don't affirm the "non-existence' of God. That is a position thrust upon us by theists. We simply don't believe in any gods posited by others (or those we ourselves could dream up)

Why don't I call myself an agnostic? because the extent of my unwillingness to retain an open mind on such things as gods or other supernatural enti ...[text shortened]... t impossible some mysterious entity exists in a mysterious dimension somewhere else.
Well okay, and actually, some definitions of atheism consider it to apply to someone who denies the existence of god, not someone who actually believes that there is no god, so I guess you get away with that one.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
30 Apr 10

Atheists are just plain mean to God.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
30 Apr 10

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Well, no. But moving on -- do you believe in zero and infinity?
Mathematically, yes.

N

The sky

Moves
30 Apr 10

Atheism is a rejection of any form of deity.
I don't know how you get from a lack of belief to "rejection". How is it even possible to reject something that you don't believe is there? If I don't believe I have any milk in the fridge, do I reject the milk (that may or may not be there)? To me, rejection of God would mean that I believe God exists, but I don't want anything to do with him. Rejection of the milk in my fridge would probably make me pour it into the drain.