For RJH...

For RJH...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
09 Oct 12

Originally posted by galveston75
...what you personally think is ok to do even if the scriptures say differently as in serving your country and be willing to kill another Christian in another land if told to do so?
When you say "another Christian in another land" do you mean a Christian who is what you define as being a 'real Christian' or do you mean someone who, according to you, just claims to be a Christian but is - in actual fact - not one who complies with your definition?

rc

Moves
09 Oct 12
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
When you say "another Christian in another land" do you mean a Christian who is what you define as being a 'real Christian' or do you mean someone who, according to you, just claims to be a Christian but is - in actual fact - not one who complies with your definition?
the definition for a Christian is found in the Bible, last time i looked, there was no book
of Galveston, why are you saying that in effect, there is? He did not write the definition
did he? Is this simply another ad hominem extraordinaire from the King himself?

F

Moves
09 Oct 12
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
the definition for a Christian is found in the Bible, last time i looked, there was no book
of Galveston, why are you saying that in effect, there is? He did not write the definition
did he? Is this simply another ad hominem extraordinaire from the King himself?
No, there's no ad hominem involved, robbie. When galveston75 talked about "another Christian in another land" what kind of Christian was he talking about, I wonder? The ones Christians he denies are Christians or the Christians he accepts as Christians? It's a fair question I think. No ad hominem involved.

rc

Moves
09 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
No, there's no ad hominem involved, robbie. When galveston75 talked about "another Christian in another land" what kind of Christian was he talking about, I wonder? The ones Christians he denies are Christians or the Christians he accepts as Christians? It's a fair question I think. No ad hominem involved.
FMF, you state that galveston defines what a christian is, this is simply not true, the definition is Biblical.

F

Moves
09 Oct 12

FMF, you state that galveston defines what a christian is, this is simply not true, the definition is Biblical.
Hundreds and hundreds of millions of Christians disagree with galveston75's interpretation. He has been relatively unequivocal about this: only members of his organisation are 'real Christians'. Thus, it only makes sense to ask him what Christians he claims to be referring to when he talks about Christians.

Moves
09 Oct 12

This suggests that no human's words on what defines a Christian should be relied upon. So can any selection of Bible verses be pointed to by a human, as making up the definition of Christian? By similar logic, I would think not. That human's selection has the same problem as his words. All that can be said is what you said, the definition is Biblical; perhaps restated as "The Bible tells you what it takes to be a Christian, look there." Does this capture the point?

Would it also mean that we should not rely on any human to tell us who is or is not a Christian?

And does it matter what any human says? It only matters what God says about this, right?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
09 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
Hundreds and hundreds of millions of Christians disagree with galveston75's interpretation. He has been relatively unequivocal about this: only members of his organisation are 'real Christians'. Thus, it only makes sense to ask him what Christians he claims to be referring to when he talks about Christians.
Why I'm answering you I have no idea. But what the heck huh?

Yes you are right, most christian religions do not agree. Is that wrong? Perhaps you have some proof, maybe from the Bible that it would be "the majority that the ones who call on the name of the LORD" would be accepted by him?

Or perhaps you have some proof that "the ones who go down that wide and spacious road are the ones who will be saved" instead of what the bible really says about the "narrow and cramped road"?

Or even better yet do you have proof that his followers "would be loved by the world" instead of what the bible really says about them being hated, I'd like to see that too.

F

Moves
09 Oct 12

Yes you are right, most christian religions do not agree. Is that wrong? Perhaps you have some proof, maybe from the Bible that it would be "the majority that the ones who call on the name of the LORD" would be accepted by him?

Or perhaps you have some proof that "the ones who go down that wide and spacious road are the ones who will be saved" instea ...[text shortened]... instead of what the bible really says about them being hated, I'd like to see that too.
So when you said to RJHinds "...what you personally think is ok to do even if the scriptures say differently as in serving your country and be willing to kill another Christian in another land if told to do so?" you meant a 'Jehovah's Witness in another land'?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
10 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
So when you said to RJHinds "...what you personally think is ok to do even if the scriptures say differently as in serving your country and be willing to kill another Christian in another land if told to do so?" you meant a 'Jehovah's Witness in another land'?
Any Christian or even better then that, any human. The Bible clear as a bell says not to kill.

F

Moves
10 Oct 12

Any Christian or even better then that, any human. The Bible clear as a bell says not to kill.
You yourself cited the bible recently as saying one can defend oneself and will be forgiven if it results in loss of life. Was the Bible clear as a bell there as well?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
10 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
You yourself cited the bible recently as saying one can defend oneself and will be forgiven if it results in loss of life. Was the Bible clear as a bell there as well?
Study and research your bible if you really want to know as the answers are all there. I know no matter what I say to you will suffice.

F

Moves
10 Oct 12

Study and research your bible if you really want to know as the answers are all there. I know no matter what I say to you will suffice.
It was a straight forward question about what you have claimed and what interpretation you place upon what you have cited. And you have dodged it, as you so often do. When you claimed that one could defend oneself and be forgiven if it results in loss of life, were you and/or the Bible being as clear as a bell?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
10 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
It was a straight forward question about what you have claimed and what interpretation you place upon what you have cited. And you have dodged it, as you so often do. When you claimed that one could defend oneself and be forgiven if it results in loss of life, were you and/or the Bible being as clear as a bell?
Romans 12:19
Good News Translation (GNT)

19 Never take revenge, my friends, but instead let God's anger do it. For the scripture says, “I will take revenge, I will pay back, says the Lord.”

Taking Another’s Life

"The expression ‘take the life of a fellowman’ implies a conscious effort to kill another. A true Christian would not do this. If attacked and unable to flee from his assailant who is determined to inflict injury or death, a Christian may try to ward off the blows or even strike out in defense, perhaps using whatever was at hand to protect himself or others. But his actions would be defensive only. He would not try to kill or punish his attacker but only try to neutralize the attack. If the attacker was to receive a fatal blow, it would be accidental, not intentional."

Lets get the point here...... First God says vengeance is his. He did not say it is ours except where God himself has deemed that necassary and commanded it to his people. There are examples of those conditions in the Bible.
The reason is God clearly sees the situation and clearly knows all the facts.
We as humans cannot see all the facts as history has shown with many innocent humans being killed or executed wrongly for something they were really not guilty of.
So he does not give us that option to kill another human as we will never know 100% of the time that it would be justified in God's eyes. We have to have faith in him and his wisdom and do all humanly possible to not take a life. If we do we have to understand that God will judge us for that and if it was done wrongly, we will no doubt have to repay to God for that life taken.

F

Moves
10 Oct 12

Romans 12:19 - Good News Translation (GNT)
19 Never take revenge, my friends, but instead let God's anger do it. For the scripture says, “I will take revenge, I will pay back, says the Lord.”

I haven't been talking about "revenge", as you well know. I have been talking about self defence and saving the lives of innocents.

Taking Another’s Life

"The expression ‘take the life of a fellowman’ implies a conscious effort to kill another. A true Christian would not do this. If attacked and unable to flee from his assailant who is determined to inflict injury or death, a Christian may try to ward off the blows or even strike out in defense, perhaps using whatever was at hand to protect himself or others. But his actions would be defensive only. He would not try to kill or punish his attacker but only try to neutralize the attack. If the attacker was to receive a fatal blow, it would be accidental, not intentional."

This is not a bible citation. This is just a copy paste from one of your magazines.

Lets get the point here...... First God says vengeance is his. He did not say it is ours except where God himself has deemed that necassary and commanded it to his people. There are examples of those conditions in the Bible. The reason is God clearly sees the situation and clearly knows all the facts. We as humans cannot see all the facts as history has shown with many innocent humans being killed or executed wrongly for something they were really not guilty of. So he does not give us that option to kill another human as we will never know 100% of the time that it would be justified in God's eyes. We have to have faith in him and his wisdom and do all humanly possible to not take a life. If we do we have to understand that God will judge us for that and if it was done wrongly, we will no doubt have to repay to God for that life taken.

I am not talking about "vengeance". I am not talking about "executions". these are red herrings that distract from what I have been asking you about. You cited a bible reference that permitted violence in self defence and that also said that killing in these circumstances could be forgiven.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Oct 12

Romans 12:19
Good News Translation (GNT)

Taking Another’s Life

"The expression ‘take the life of a fellowman’ implies a conscious effort to kill another. ...[text shortened]... that and if it was done wrongly, we will no doubt have to repay to God for that life taken.
God gave a certain land to the Israelites and commanded them to take it. I do not call that killing in self-defense. That was aggressive war. The kind of war that Christ will wage on His second coming when He overthrows the rulers of this Earth. Get your head out.