1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '19 09:49
    @suzianne said
    Or do you reserve this kind of "I don't get it" reply when you want to disagree yet can't come up with an actual argument against what I've said? You do this a lot. When you want to play devil's advocate yet cannot form an actual argument, you resort to these types of confrontational tricks to deflect attention from what I actually said.
    What on earth are you on about? I simply asked you a question.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '19 09:49
    @suzianne said
    I said, "I've never known any sub-group of atheists who stick tenaciously to their story of being an atheist while yet showing all the evidence suggesting that they are not, in fact, atheist."
    Well, I am an atheist. I lack belief in the existence of a god or gods and I don';t believe any of the supposed 'revelations' that various religions have come up with. What "sub-group of atheists" do you think I belong to?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '19 09:50
    @suzianne said
    It's really the best I can do in this thread that has turned into an exercise in self-service.
    What kind of "exercise" did sonship want this thread to be when he started it, do you think?
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Apr '19 09:54
    @suzianne said
    Is English your second language? I said, "I've never known any sub-group of atheists who stick tenaciously to their story of being an atheist while yet showing all the evidence suggesting that they are not, in fact, atheist." This means that I don't think they exist because I have never met any. Have you? On the other hand, I have met many Christians who claim to be Chri ...[text shortened]... confronting what I actually said, then please, just say so. "Playing dumb" doesn't really fit you.
    He seemingly still doesn’t get it.🤦🏼‍♂️
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '19 10:071 edit
    @suzianne said
    This means that I don't think they exist because I have never met any. Have you?
    Atheists who behave as if they might in fact be believers? Of course I have. I've met loads of them.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Apr '19 10:11
    @suzianne said
    It's really the best I can do in this thread that has turned into an exercise in self-service.
    Difficult to see how it can be "self-service" when it was your bestist friend sonship who kicked it off. Have you discussed it with him?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '19 10:14
    @suzianne said
    Is English your second language?
    Have any of the kind words about me that sonship has elicited from quite a few members of the community resonated with you?
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Apr '19 10:361 edit
    @suzianne said
    There are some branches of Christianity that are too far out of the mainstream to be believable, but I'm not even talking about those. Yes, there are doctrinal differences, and this does cause much conversation, mainly because of what you say, that this causes some to deny those that are different. But I'm talking about people who, quite bluntly, are hypocrites. They talk ...[text shortened]... nd then act in a way that would cause me to doubt it. However, "Christians" who do this are legion.
    This is what I was saying. I've never met an atheist who said he was an atheist and then act in a way that would cause me to doubt it. However, "Christians" who do this are legion.

That is easily explained. Atheism has no moral content. One can be an atheist and an amoralist, or an atheist and an extistentialist, or an atheist and a utilitarian, etc. The moral content comes from somewhere else, not atheism per se.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree