Evolution

Evolution

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a

Meddling with things

Moves
16 Sep 05

Originally posted by bbarr
O.K. Then, 'yes', speciation is statistically possible. That is, the probability of speciation having happend is greater than 0. Of course, any process that is nomologically possible will have a probability greater than 0.
It is statistically possible because it has happenned.

Hordeum vulgare has speciated out of Hordeum spontaneum within the last 10000yrs

Triticum aesticum has speciated out of a three way hybridisation / polyploidation within the last 8000years.

Evidence? you drink beer made from one and eat bread made from the other

a

Meddling with things

Moves
16 Sep 05

Originally posted by Halitose
Wouldn't one chance in ten thousand trillion trillion trillion be considered impossible?
Is this the probability of you making sense

a

Meddling with things

Moves
16 Sep 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
Another excellent example of microevolution.

Do you have any examples of marcoevolution?
And if you don't like the evidence I try and wriggle out of it with a meaningless semantic arguement. The question was speciation, you got speciation.

Moves
16 Sep 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Er, dj2 - "flowers" are not a taxonomic group. They're just the reproductive organs of a large class of plants.
Er, yea, thanks. I think I might have been refering to a 'flower' as "a plant that is cultivated or appreciated for its blossoms". e.g. a daisy.

Moves
16 Sep 05
1 edit

Originally posted by aardvarkhome
It is statistically possible because it has happenned.

Hordeum vulgare has speciated out of Hordeum spontaneum within the last 10000yrs

Triticum aesticum has speciated out of a three way hybridisation / polyploidation within the last 8000years.

Evidence? you drink beer made from one and eat bread made from the other
I need not point out the logical fallicies in your assertions.

It's like you saying the reason that you are here is proof that you evolved!

I could say that the reason why I am here is proof that I was created!

Moves
16 Sep 05

And if you don't like the evidence I try and wriggle out of it with a meaningless semantic arguement. The question was speciation, you got speciation.
I was just prodding the question a little deeper...

I am fully aware that you have provided evidence for 'variations within a kind'.

'Macroevolution" needs much more than 'variations within a kind'.

d

Canberra, Australia

Moves
16 Sep 05

I was just prodding the question a little deeper...

I am fully aware that you have provided evidence for 'variations within a kind'.

'Macroevolution" needs much more than 'variations within a kind'.
Actually, you were prodding the question a lot shallower.

a

Meddling with things

Moves
16 Sep 05

I need not point out the logical fallicies in your assertions.

It's like you saying the reason that you are here is proof that you evolved!

I could say that the reason why I am here is proof that I was created!
I'm asserting nothing. I'm talking about a large body of data.

Moves
16 Sep 05
1 edit

I'm asserting nothing. I'm talking about a large body of data.
I am afraid you are asserting that "your large body of data" proves something that has never been observed.

Just don't call it Science, pal. Science has to do with things that can be observed and demostrated to give the same results again and agian.

It's more like a fairy tale for adults.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
16 Sep 05

You know, if you're going to tee the ball up like that, you can expect it to get hit about 300 yards down the fairway.

a

Meddling with things

Moves
16 Sep 05

I am afraid you are asserting that "your large body of data" proves something that has never been observed.

Just don't call it Science, pal. Science has to do with things that can be observed and demostrated to give the same results again and agian.

The domestication of cereals is recorded....in the bible!

a

Meddling with things

Moves
16 Sep 05

Barley first appears in pre-agriculture sites in the near east 17000-10000 bp as remains of brittle rachis two row forms identifiable as H. vulgare ssp spontaneum (Zohary, 1994 ). The earliest report is from Ohalo II, a submerged Palaeolithic site on the southern shore of Lake Galilee and was found in association with remains of wild emmer wheat. The site is dated at c. 17000 bp. Sites dated at 11000-1000 bp at Mureybit, Tell Abu Hureyra and Tell Aswad in Syria have similar remains. Spontaneum barleys were found in association with domesticated emmer wheat in sites dating 9500-8700 bp. The first unmistakably cultivated barleys with non brittle rachis appeared around 9750 bp in pre-pottery Neolithic sites at Netiv Hagdud, Tell Abu Hureyra phase II, Tell Aswad and Jarmo in Iraq. (Zohary, 1994 ).
Barley continued to be an important crop through the Neolithic in Western Asia with an increasing diversity of forms such as naked types and six rowed forms found in cultivated contexts. Six rowed forms appeared as early as 9500 bp at Abu Hureyra and at Ali Kosh. In the earliest phases only two row barley appeared but sporadic six row forms appeared with time. In Anatolia six rowed forms, both hulled and naked, became well established by 8000 bp being represented at both Catal Huyuk and Hacilar. During the 6th millennium bp six rowed hulled barley became the dominant cereal in the river valleys of Mesopotamia. During the Near Eastern Chalcolithic and Bronze Age hulled barleys were common, outnumbering wheat, possibly because of its adaptability barley was more capable of moving into marginal environment, depleted soils or irrigated areas with high salinity. (Hillman 1990) (Zohary, 1994 )

Moves
16 Sep 05

Barley first appears in pre-agriculture sites in the near east 17000-10000 bp as remains of brittle rachis two row forms identifiable as H. vulgare ssp spontaneum (Zohary, 1994 ). The earliest report is from Ohalo II, a submerged Palaeolithic site on the southern shore of Lake Galilee and was found in association with remains of wild emmer wheat. The si ...[text shortened]... nvironment, depleted soils or irrigated areas with high salinity. (Hillman 1990) (Zohary, 1994 )
Another excellent example of microevolution.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Sep 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
Good thing that the proper response mechanism to dj has evolved in the forum.

lol

btw ,, may I quote you?
Of course!

Moves
16 Sep 05
1 edit

The domestication of cereals is recorded....in the bible!
And your point is?

Alcohol 'evolved' from barley? So what?

I am asking for an observed example of macroevolution.